Larian Studios - The Halo Effect

I consider D:OS the best executed KS of all crowd-funded games to-date. They communicated clearly, delivered regular updates that did not require and hour+ to consume, and delivered on most of their promises. So yes, I'd be in for another KS with them.

But, and that is the question here, would Larian returning to Kickstarter affect your likelyhood to invest in other crowdfunding projects negatively?

I don't think it would in my case.

It wont affect you but I think there is group of people which is more picky or less "rich" and they will be affected by it. It depends on quantity of more or less similar projects from well known studios. I remember comments here like "I have empty wallet for now" or "I already backed many projects". Thats what Swen is talking about - if some people are very picky for whatever reason they will probably prefer projects from well known studios like Larian and wont back smaller projects (which probably needs some funds "more"). Of course, I dont know if this group of backers is big or small. I will be happy with any decision Swen will make but I understand his concern.

Crowd funding seems to be at the optimum level for a mid-sized studio--a company that has the ability to pull off a high quality game, but lacks the resources to create a AAA title. I'm all for keeping that business community alive and prosperous because they can supply games in niche areas that the bigger companies won't touch.

As for independents, to me they represent a much higher risk so I don't normally fund those unless they can show they have the capability to pull off their plans. I.e. either successfully completed past efforts or via some sort of demonstration.

But, and that is the question here, would Larian returning to Kickstarter affect your likelyhood to invest in other crowdfunding projects negatively?

I don't think it would in my case.

In my case it may. But it's different for others I'm sure. What's important is the average burnout over the population.

BTW Its interesting choice of words in the title... What if Larian would announce that their new game will be humorous sci-fi RPG named Halo Effect? :biggrin:

For all those complaining about the dropped features. Would you miss them if development wasn't so open, or if the game wasn't kick started ?

Who knows what cool features were planned for bg2 but didn't make it.

They have been paid for the extra features and they cut them for budget reasons.
That is simply unacceptable.
The nerve they have if they ask for more money in KS.>:O

I consider D:OS the best executed KS of all crowd-funded games to-date. They communicated clearly, delivered regular updates that did not require and hour+ to consume, and delivered on most of their promises. So yes, I'd be in for another KS with them.

To be fair the game was mostly done when they ran their kickstarter…they were much farther along then most companies/developers are that use kickstarters.

Not related to the above qoute, but what was missing from the final release that was promised? I haven't beat the game yet, but is there a 10 level liar beneath phantom forrest like it mentions?

Last edited:
To be fair the game was mostly done when they ran their kickstarter…they were much farther along then most companies/developers are that use kickstarters.

Not related to the above qoute, but what was missing from the final release that was promised? I haven't beat the game yet, but is there a 10 level liar beneath phantom forrest like it mentions?

Day/night cycles, NPC schedules (one without the other would be wasted anyway). And some Mega-dungeon I believe? Nothing I can't live without, what they delivered was so good I wouldn't hesitate a second before backing them again. But on the other hand I seldom hesitate regarding Kickstarters, I've already got my moneys worth and then some from the ones that have been released already.

When things are promised, and part of that is the intent to acquire more funds, the people paying the money have certain expectations. Now, it is one thing if those items are delayed (like the additional companions that did get in the game 2 months later), and an entirely different thing when the people that paid in advance are informed that certain promised items will not be in the game, period. It is entirely unrealistic to think that some people would not be upset.

With that said, I'm certainly enjoying the game. I'll tell you though, one of the main reasons I kicked in a little extra was for one of the promised items that didn't make the cut, that being the so-called "mega" dungeon. I've also found things about the game that I don't like at all, but rather than nitpick, I'm just going to enjoy it for what it is, now.

Last edited:
That mega dungeon was part of the pitch...it should be in the game...

Can someone clarify the mega dungeon is the one below the phatom forest? If so it is plastered all over the kickstarter page.

Well, I would be 1st in line to back another Larian project on Kickstarter.
Not only is the game fantastic, but I received my boxed CE promptly (1 week after the digital release), something I can't say for any other Kickstarter I've backed; I'm still waiting for my boxed CE's of Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect, Moebius, and Wasteland 2. At least I wasn't suckered into the CE of Legends of Dawn; Those just shipped out 15 months after the game's digital release.

Well, his response to that is in that post: "I certainly don't regret making other areas more dense and adding more freedom at the expense of these dungeon levels."

Anyway, I'm not gonna complain - it's still the best RPG in a decade.

Well, his response to that is in that post: "I certainly don't regret making other areas more dense and adding more freedom at the expense of these dungeon levels."

Anyway, I'm not gonna complain - it's still the best RPG in a decade.

Um...sure? We would hold any other company accountable for what they didn't include but used to generate funds.

I owe nothing to this company...it's great they made a good game, but they sold me on one thing during the kickstarter and delivered another. It sets a very bad precedent for kickstarter...if you can't reach a goal you promised who cares?

As far as I'm concerned, all that was promised was a great game, along with several ideas for things that would be in it. Game was far better than anticipated, so if anything, I can assume they found even better ways to spend their time than working on a few of the exact items they promised.

You, of course, are free to obsess over missing points from the exact bullet list they offered up in advance. But I don't see the point.

As far as I'm concerned, all that was promised was a great game, along with several ideas for things that would be in it. Game was far better than anticipated, so if anything, I can assume they found even better ways to spend their time than working on a few of the exact items they promised.

You, of course, are free to obsess over missing points from the exact bullet list they offered up in advance. But I don't see the point.

Oh right, free pass because they are larien....now imagine if this was bethesda:p

Not really obsessing when:

A) it was never announced until after release that it wouldn't be in.

B) the only thing we have going that there is any "extra" content is him saying there is...for all we know they took a couple parts they started to make for that dungeon and said ...well it's already done for this part and we can't finish the dungeon lets cut our losses and throw it in the game.

Note, I do think the game is good, I just think they should honor what they promised....regardless of who ran the kickstarter etc. They didn't exactly come out with an update saying we decided to change the way the game would go focusing on more content then the dungeon...instead they had to be prodded on their forums to even acknowledge they didn't put it in. That is not the best way to deal with an issue.

And for the record this wasn't a bullet point hidden down the page...they pushed this as one of the major parts of their campaign.

Oh right, free pass because they are larien….now imagine if this was bethesda:p
Nah, the free pass is because they made a really great game. Bethesda hasn't ever done that yet, so you're right that they'd definitely have more trouble getting one :)

Best rpg this year.....maybe. Best rpg in this decade? No, not in my opinion. Pretty sure it won't be rpg of the year for me, either. It's good, but it does some things that annoy the crap out of me too. Still playing it, but there are some serious things I don't care for in the game.

Back
Top Bottom