Pillars of Eternity - Thoughts & Impressions

Re: negativity…

I read something once that said that nothing will ever surpass what came out when you were twelve. What came out when you were twelve is the pinnacle of achievement.

There has actually been quite a few tests and research that more or less confirm this. Basically, it's not always at exactly "12", but more along the lines of "pre-to-mid teens" (11-16 or so I guess), and it has been confirmed that we are far more impressionable at that age, so things that are simply "good" later on would be "AWESOME!!!" at that age.

Yeah. And I think if someone really liked something (in our case, RPG's), and they wanted it to rank up with the stuff they played in their early teen years, it's still possible to tap into that part of our brains. It's still there.

I think that's the difference between people that get really excited about something and truly enjoy it, and those who don't. I think a lot of people are too cynical to let themselves do this after a certain age.

Which is really sad.

Last edited:
Anyone else getting the endless SFX repeating bug? Sounds like the tooltip opening sound, repeating endlessly. I tried the suggested fix (reloading) and it stops for a while, then starts up again no matter what I do. I can turn off sound effects but that's it… not a great option.

Can't believe they didn't catch this bug.
Turn off all tool-tips Overnall as that is what worked for me finally.

I was finding that the concensus was that there were a surprising number of people who will never be happy with any game …

No kidding. Along comes an absolute gem of a game that shouldn't even really exist, from a developer that could have easily gone under years ago, and some of these miserable souls still find something to complain about :S. Feels like a new low for the watch.

Now that those of you with complaints have said your piece, would you kindly fuck off? It's extremely rare that this site actually has anything worth celebrating. This is one of those rare occasions. I have played 18 hours so far, and this certainly has the feel of an all-time classic. I would like to share this wonderful moment in RPG history by having positive discussions with the fellow watchers here who actually still enjoy playing RPGs (gasp!).

And a heartfelt cheers and thank you to those who don't pollute this site with toxic negativity. It's a shame that you are so often drowned out.

Codex quote self-quote from September 2014 - Some things never change:

So where do we stand at this point?

• we have a Might attribute that is good for Mages and Fighters and noone really can explain (-> Muscle Wizard)
  • we get no XP for tedious fights, many of them can't be avoided (The combat system better would be turn based anyway, it's too hectic in realtime)
  • on the altar of balance fun is sacrificed, no character build can fail, the challenge to find a working party out of restricted characters is gone
  • a two way health system (Health+Stamina) that needlessly complicates adventuring
  • trash options for real roleplaying are gone (every choice needs to be awesome)
  • a chief designer that obviously doesn't like classic IE mechanics at all and alienates the IE-fan-base

Have I missed something?

I really like the atmosphere, story, sound, dialog and GUI of the game, but the stat-system is gamey and not intuitive at all and combat is just mediocre/bad.

No kidding. Along comes an absolute gem of a game that shouldn't even really exist, from a developer that could have easily gone under years ago, and some of these miserable souls still find something to complain about :S. Feels like a new low for the watch.

Now that those of you with complaints have said your piece, would you kindly fuck off? It's extremely rare that this site actually has anything worth celebrating. This is one of those rare occasions. I have played 18 hours so far, and this certainly has the feel of an all-time classic. I would like to share this wonderful moment in RPG history by having positive discussions with the fellow watchers here who actually still enjoy playing RPGs (gasp!).

And a heartfelt cheers and thank you to those who don't pollute this site with toxic negativity. It's a shame that you are so often drowned out.

I'm sending you a friend request because you spoke the truth Nerevarine.:handshake:

Hidden, you fault Sawyer for disregarding IE mechanics yet to criticize PoE's combat. Do you think it's somehow non-IEish (in a negative way, mind you)?

IE combat was mediocre. PoE is worse.

I prefer turn based combat in party based games like the old Goldbox games
or very S L O W real time combat like Drakensang for example.

HiddenX has had a vendetta against Mr. Sawyer from day one, so his thoughts on the game are no surprise. :thumbsup:

Combat so far is… kind of a mess for me since I can't hold aggro with my fighters and all the enemies seem pre-programmed to head right for my mage.

I'm beginning to think a party of 5 high Will fighters and a healer would do pretty well. Everything else is too squishy or takes too long to contribute much in battles.

The game is torn between real time gameplay and the pressure for a"ugoigo" turn sequence.

Engaging is key and so is the location to engage. It takes this feature from real time gameplay.

Playing on hard, running for a long time with only one fighter (without the talent to engage more than one enemy) plus the animal companion of my ranger character.

I also strive to play all encounters in real time.

It soon appeared that a front line that is bypassed is synonym to a combat that was not properly engaged. Or that the encounter could not be won in the current situation and that the enemy had to be thinned before committing fully.

Mobility is key, engaging at the right spot is key.

Playing pause with real time hides what it is obvious in real time with pause.

I'm enjoying it. There are a lot of valid possibilities with group makeup, and a lot of viable choices within classes. I have one Path of the Damned game going with an all ranger party. It's kind of hilarious walking around in disguise with a group of animals. I can see a lot of replays with very different parties.

The story so far is interesting, although in places I feel like they are trying a little too hard. The writing in the BG/ID series wasn't nearly this overstated. PS: Torment set the bar even higher, and so this feels even more amateurish in comparison. I would never know that some responses are "Clever" if I didn't have that option on. I recently played DA: 2 and the snarky responses there are so much better.

Combat isn't the greatest, mostly due to pathing. You can often see your party members and enemies getting stuck/confused. Sometimes it turns in your favor, sometimes you wipe because half your team doesn't follow their orders.

The part of the game I least like are the backer NPC names. I read the immersion complaints up thread, and I think those concerns are overblown, especially as you can control your behavior and you have gameplay options on top of that. Without a mod though, you're stuck looking at really out of place character names everywhere in town.

Tip for someone starting/restarting: Sell all your initial junk including recipe materials to the merchant at the beginning. He pays a lot more and you can make enough money to hire two adventurers right away.

IE combat was mediocre. PoE is worse.

Can't really relate to that.

In an IE game, in the beginning, I would get one hit smashed by ogres unless I kite the crap out of them and swing my sword at goblins for minutes until I win or die of boredom. At least the low level combat is very involved in PoE. Granted, some abilities are no-brainers, but I'm pretty sure that gets better on the higher levels with more diversification in builds and abilities, so you'll really have to pick and choose. Contrast this with the progression of abilities in IE games, where at the beginning you could do nothing at all and the later abilities became no-brainers as soon as they became available.

I wish I could say more about intelligent enemies (heard a few things there) or combat setups, but I'm still pretty much at the beginning and I'm not sure wether to wait for the patch. ;)

I prefer turn based combat in party based games like the old Goldbox games
or very S L O W real time combat like Drakensang for example.

IMO it's ok if you play with slow motion on. Right now I can't really see myself not doing that. If you take i.e. the fights in the witches' forest in Drakensang, they would seem to have about the speed of a PoE fight. With slow motion on it seems to move still a bit faster than an IE game, but I blame that on the fact that I do hit regularly and do get hit back.

I'm playing on the hard difficulty setting as a Ranger. In MAJOR fights I needed a lot of reloads because my party wasn't doing what I'm telling them fast enough - the enemies are just faster. No fun at all.
Such a game really should be turn based.

Consider putting less armor on them. Recovery time (i.e. time between actions) is slowed down by wearing heavy or medium and even slightly by light armor. Aloth, my PC Cypher, and Durance only wear light armor and clothes and they are able to fire off spells and abilities much faster. Makes a huge difference. :)

Also there is a chant that Kana sings that reduces recovery time. Worth trying that out.

If they get into melee they can be toast. So it's really important to control the enemies and tank and draw aggro with Eder and Kana.

Overall I am finding the combat very tactical (pausing a lot except for the trash mobs) and loving it. :)

It's tricky learning a new system, but that's a big joy to me. Something new to learn rather than the same old rules. :)

Last edited:
I really like the atmosphere, story, sound, dialog and GUI of the game, but the stat-system is gamey and not intuitive at all and combat is just mediocre/bad.

I find the attribute system well crafted and full of possibility. It gets away from D&D's version of must-have and dump stats. It gives recommendations for stats, but you can play against type and do well.

Yeah. And I think if someone really liked something (in our case, RPG's), and they wanted it to rank up with the stuff they played in their early teen years, it's still possible to tap into that part of our brains. It's still there.

I think that's the difference between people that get really excited about something and truly enjoy it, and those who don't. I think a lot of people are too cynical to let themselves do this after a certain age.

Fortunately, they didn't even have computer RPGs until I was past my teens, so I don't have that problem. Yeah I'm a geezer. But I'm not cynical about such things, and I'm enjoying PoE thus far.

Wow…

All this because Drithius dared to voice some criticism that's perfectly valid to him?

Where are all these people who are spreading such an obscene amount of negativity? Because I'm not seeing them.

What's really sad is the degree of fanboyish overreaction I'm seeing here. It's actually quite pathetic.

How dare someone not love every aspect of this game! Maybe we should ban him.

I find the attribute system well crafted and full of possibility. It gets away from D&D's version of must-have and dump stats. It gives recommendations for stats, but you can play against type and do well.

This is exactly what I love about the system. I think it's brilliant, and that's also why I preferred the systems in Fallout and Arcanum from the IE era.

It feels so much more satisfying to have the freedom to go against the grain and adapt your strategies to your own choices. This makes choices truly matter and feel empowering.

Back
Top Bottom