Rampant Games - Indie News Roundup

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
Jay Barnson has a new indie roundup. There is quite an assortment of RPG and a few JRPG indie games in the list. Here are a few of them:
Alternate Reality – The Remake Project
This is a planned full port of the classic RPGs Alternate Reality: The Dungeon and Alternate Reality: The City to modern systems. I never played ‘em, though I have a friend who speaks very highly of them. You can find more information here.
Frayed Knights
As mentioned last week, Frayed Knights is now beta. Woot. Testers have been unleashed upon it, and are now filling my inbox with reasons the game is still not quite ready for release. As if my horrid efforts to replace some stand-in monster art wasn’t reason enough.
Soldak’s Untitled Space-RPG
I am a fan of Soldak’s previous RPGs, and so I have a lot of faith in their upcoming space-adventure RPG. The latest blog updates are on components and crew for your roving spaceship.
More information.

Wow, Alternate Reality…that brings back memories from my Commodore days.

The City was unbelievably brutal, and your goal was just to survive (and doing so was an achievement). I actually beat The Dungeon, though I don't remember a damn thing from it. The main thing I remember from the whole thing is how they planned something like 5 more installments where you would proceed to go up against the aliens that kidnapped you from Earth and eventually try to make your way home. I've always wondered if there were some outlines or notes published anywhere detailing what the future games may have planned as far as the story.

Those games were way ahead of their time. They tried (and mostly failed) to implement a smooth-scrolling movement system years before Castle Wolfenstein was a gleam in Mike Carmack's eye. It was pretty laughable even then, and yet something about them drew me in and wouldn't let me go. I'll be curious to see if the remake gets to a state anywhere near completion…

Wow, Alternate Reality…that brings back memories from my Commodore days.

Those games were way ahead of their time. They tried (and mostly failed) to implement a smooth-scrolling movement system years before Castle Wolfenstein was a gleam in Mike Carmack's eye. It was pretty laughable even then, and yet something about them drew me in and wouldn't let me go. I'll be curious to see if the remake gets to a state anywhere near completion…

Yeah, definitely way ahead of their time. The smooth-scrolling worked wonderfully on the native Atari 8bit versions. Saw nothing like it until maybe Doom (wolf3d was indoors only). Apparently it was the first game ever to use bitmapped textures in a 3d environment.

I guess Morrowind/Skyrim is a modern equivalent, but not really. It's much more RPG than those. Too bad the series isn't being revived on modern hardware.

I thought some of you might like to hear about that remake. I never played it myself and only have recently heard about how good they were. I would like to try this one out if they finish it.

Back
Top Bottom