FO: Other Bethesda might lose Fallout to Interplay

Any other Fallout game
Why would Bethsoft pay any royalties to Interplay?

I guess the answer is they are not
here is a link that gets into the specifics
http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2011/10/27/could-bethesda-loose-the-fallout-franchise.aspx

the article ends like this:
To try to put this in perspective; Fallout 3 sold over 300 million in revenue at launch as well as Fallout 4 a.k.a. New Vegas which also sold 300 million at launch. That’s 600 million+ which translates to $72 million in a payment plus interest if Interplay successfully defends the Dec 12 trial and wins the counter suit. The odds might be low but the main question is can Bethesda afford to take the risk given of losing its cash cow and paying out precious cash when they just bought out ID Software and rage is not a confirmed success yet or will they settle before the court date?

Sure, if IPLY wins (which they won't) it's a different ballgame but you asked if Bethsoft was paying royalties during the litigation. Why would they, when Bethsoft owns Fallout outright? It's not a license - they own it.

I have no fear of Bethesda losing the license, they can simply just buy Stalker and create a sequel. Fallout, in Mother Russia!

The difference would be that Obsidian would have to use an engine not made by Bethesda and I have no high hopes that they themselves could make a good one…(see DS 3)….

DS3 is the most solid game Obsidian has produced to date. It has very little to no bugs. It runs rock solid without problems. It works on a wide variety of systems with little to no problems. It is a greatly balanced game, possibly also the most balanced Obsidian game to date. It has great controls and playability. And the game handles everything very smoothly. From a purely technical point of view, it's an absolutely excellent game. And it has beautiful graphics with a very good art direction to boot. All of this possibly because they used their own in-house game engine.

It's just that the game itself is simplistic and not particularly creative or significant for the genre. I believe that they could do wonders given the choice to do any kind of game on the same framework, using their own game engine.

As long as they didn't try to do a silly console corridor shooter on rails like Alpha Popamole again

And I hope Herve gets it all back. It's more likely that he would license the IP to someone like Obsidian without selling the entire IP again, than Bethesda hiring Obsidian to do another Fallout game a second time.

Either way, I don't care much about the IP any longer. It has stopped being relevant. I only want to see Bethesda burn and Bethesda fanboys butthurt.

Why the vindictiveness towards Bethesda? I have taken some issues with them before (with Oblivion and Fallout 3), but they are one of a few major developers making huge RPG's. Personally, I think Skyrim was a huge step in the right direction. If they went down, it would be a major hit to the more mainstream RPG market.

Skyrim, a huge step? In the right direction?

It's a better step than Oblivion, that's for sure, but I wouldn't call it the right direction at all, but a completely different and irrelevant direction than what we as RP gamers would like to see. It still shares a LOT of the same problems with Oblivion.

And, about "mainstream RPG market". LOL. What about it? We'll have to see whether "10 Millions" sales will have an effect on game industry in general, but I doubt it and that's about it. We would still get crappy Bioware games coming off of conveyor belt and all the other stuff. It would be the perfect opportunity for someone to come up with a new Bethesda-game-clone with full mod support to fill in the vacuum and get crazy rich on it.

Anyway, Bethesda has fulfilled their use by commissioning Obsidian for FNV, who used it to resurrect a lot of Van Buren stuff. The circle is now complete, however twisted and fractured. Fallout license can go to hell.

Sigh… I hope they get The Codex back up and running again soon.

Why? You can't handle too much reason and ration, is that it? And if I weren't a Codexer saying these things? Then what? "Sigh, I wish people like this just disappeared" or something like that?

Grow up, you're no longer isolated and sheltered in your mom's basement.

What reason and ration? All I see is a pathetic loser doing his best to troll.

Calling someone a troll and a loser just because he's from such and such site and says things you don't agree with or can't understand. I don't know anything more pathetic and loserish than that. Congrats on being such an abysmal human being. It's the easiest thing to do on the planet.

Now if only someone taught me how the ignore function of this site works, I will simply put JDR13 in my list and not have to deal with his belittling attitude any more and everything will be all right.

Calling someone a troll and a loser just because he's from such and such site and says things you don't agree with or can't understand. I don't know anything more pathetic and loserish than that. Congrats on being such an abysmal human being. It's the easiest thing to do on the planet.

Translation = "Instead of taking responsibilty for the fact that I threw the first insult, I'm gonna go the hypocrite route and also play the victim."

Go to tab: Forums —> Settings & Options —> Edit Ignore List —> Add member to ignore —> Okay.
Happy ignoring.

You have to admit, what he's saying is more inline with reality than any of the other wishful thinking on the topic. It's all business, no one cares about the IP if it can't make money. Business and art are pretty much mutually exclusive these days - unless you define good art as something that can sell millions of copies to the lowest common denominator.

Skyrim was a better TES game than Oblivion, but it was still very simplified in many respects. As a veteran gamer, I just can't enjoy a series where the depth of gameplay keeps getting shallower with each new series iteration. (Skyrim had some incline though - bravo)

Chances are, Diablo 3 will have a more in-depth character development system. That's kind of sad really (And I'm greatly anticipating D3).

Now if only someone taught me how the ignore function of this site works, I will simply put JDR13 in my list and not have to deal with his belittling attitude any more and everything will be all right.

Why so much anger and frustation in your expression? Is your life so empty that playing RPGs is the only thing worthwile and feel your life being destroyed by the current gaming industry?

Btw, what is the point of expressing your opinion if you know that you will not get your message across, simply due to the way you formulate your opinion?

You have to admit, what he's saying is more inline with reality than any of the other wishful thinking on the topic. It's all business, no one cares about the IP if it can't make money.

I think we're talking about people in general here, not just the business execs. If you really think no one cares about the Fallout IP anymore, I'd say there's probably several million gamers that would disagree.

Now that I think about it again, this actually makes me angry. I make an effort, I share my thoughts, however worthless or insightful they may or may not be. Opinions that have some basis and context to them that I can (try to) elaborate if need be. Not that it matters. None of it matters. But this site is supposed to be about gaming. And here I'm, sharing stuff about gaming. And getting your shit for it.

So Codex is down so what? Is Codex a hivemind? Is everyone at Codex move and behave with the same identical purpose? Are you an American? If you are, then no wonders because ALL Americans are stupid fat fucks, right? Or whatever nationality, I'm sure there's something so inherently wrong with all of them that can be safely applied to all of their citizens. Or ideologies. Or, do you like Bioware games? I hear that ALL people who likes a Bioware game is a dumb motherfucker, so you must be one dumb motherfucker as well, no?

Why are you so eager to dehumanise and trivialise others? What the fuck is wrong with you? I merely shared opinions here and all I get is personal attacks. FFS.

Fucking shitstain.

Why so much anger and frustation in your expression? Is your life so empty that playing RPGs is the only thing worthwile and feel your life being destroyed by the current gaming industry?

Btw, what is the point of expressing your opinion if you know that you will not get your message across, simply due to the way you formulate your opinion?

And who is trolling now? What if my answer is yes? That my life is so empty, that I'm myself so empty, that games are one of the few things that give me joy in life and that I love sharing that joy by sharing opinions on games with others? Yes, what then?

And what is the point of expressing my opinion? Fuck me, what is the point of this entire fucking site then? And no, I don't -or didn't- know that I wouldn't get my message across and from this abysmal shit attitude I'm getting, I can only extrapolate that "the way I formulate my opinion" wouldn't be worth shit either when confronted with shitstains who are so deeply flawed, they couldn't even process my message simply because it goes against their comfort zone.

So will someone please show me how ignore function works here, assuming what I read about it in some thread that I can't find now was true and not a Watcher (gulp!) trolling! another Codex refugee?

JDR13 it is obvious that you were the first to start with an insult:

In case you would claim that this ironic remark was a an insult:
Why? You can't handle too much reason and ration, is that it? And if I weren't a Codexer saying these things? Then what? "Sigh, I wish people like this just disappeared" or something like that?

Grow up, you're no longer isolated and sheltered in your mom's basement.

Then this can also be as an insult as well:

Sigh… I hope they get The Codex back up and running again soon.

So YOU should take responsibility for throwing the first insult.
Translation = "Instead of taking responsibilty for the fact that I threw the first insult, I'm gonna go the hypocrite route and also play the victim."

He's not messing around now. We should tread carefully.

dont-make-me-angry-angry-kid-hulk-demotivational-posters-1309564181.jpg

Now that I think about it again, this actually makes me angry. I make an effort, I share my thoughts, however worthless or insightful they may or may not be. Opinions that have some basis and context to them that I can (try to) elaborate if need be. Not that it matters. None of it matters. But this site is supposed to be about gaming. And here I'm, sharing stuff about gaming. And getting your shit for it.

No one is giving you shit for sharing your thoughts and opinion. It is just a matter of HOW you express them.

I admit that my "no life" comment might be uncalled for so I apologize for it. But it seems that you are suddenly losing it judging by your recent messages without any apparent reason.

Back
Top Bottom