Elminage Gothic - A Fluent Let's Play

D

Deleted User

Hello everyone!
smiley-laughing.gif

I have started a new Let's Play on YouTube for the immersive and atmospheric dungeon-crawler RPG, Elminage Gothic. I have some fun in the first 2 episodes, so feel free to follow along and have some fun with me!
smiley-tongue-out.gif

Here is Episode 1:

And Episode 2:

I will post future episodes as replies to this thread.

Hope you all enjoy!
smiley-smile.gif

More information.

I don't have time to watch tonight, but I will tomorrow for sure.

I really enjoyed your Elminage character creation video.

I gotta say though, the dwarf with the horned helmet just does not look like a Steve to me.

I don't have time to watch tonight, but I will tomorrow for sure.

I really enjoyed your Elminage character creation video.

I gotta say though, the dwarf with the horned helmet just does not look like a Steve to me.

Haha! =)

I plan on doing a more detailed character creation video for the game sometime, now that I have learned more about the game, how some of the skills work, etc.

And that will probably be the 6th news bit for the game in a month. What can I say, I like the game and want to cover it. =)

Elminage Gothic is a good Wizardry clone - but 5 newbits in 1 month?

PS:
The best part in Wizardry games is to find out by yourself which party is best suited to explore the dungeons and can survive.

It depends if you mind replaying the beginning of a game, because you made poor decisions or not. While there are multiple ways to make a good party, there are certainly some very poor ways to do it as well. For example the first time I played Wizardry 6, I didn't change classes at all, which made the end game really tough. 25 years ago, I just accepted this. I'm not sure I'd have the patience for it today.

forgottenlor, Someone with extensive knowledge of the game informed me that building "bad" characters isn't a big deal in Elminage Gothic, because even if you level up and only get 1 HP at times, you will eventually get a much larger boost.

I remember Chien saying you could build these bad characters and the game becomes managing good and bad characters, but I haven't seen that to be the case yet.

You can also easily save before leveling up each character and that will help if you're a bit more concerned about this sort of thing. =)

Building bad parties, though? I'm sure you could. I tend to go for a pretty balanced party when I play these games. =)

forgottenlor, Someone with extensive knowledge of the game informed me that building "bad" characters isn't a big deal in Elminage Gothic, because even if you level up and only get 1 HP at times, you will eventually get a much larger boost.

oic... kinda like Wizards & Warriors? The point of that system has always eluded me. It's like pretending to use random dice rolls for shits and giggles, but not actually making anyone submit to the will of lady luck.

I remember Chien saying you could build these bad characters and the game becomes managing good and bad characters, but I haven't seen that to be the case yet.

You can also easily save before leveling up each character and that will help if you're a bit more concerned about this sort of thing. =)

Building bad parties, though? I'm sure you could. I tend to go for a pretty balanced party when I play these games. =)

If you build a thief and switch classes he loses all thief abilities, and use of any thief equipment. Basically the only thing you get are his hit points. A summoner keeps his spells, but looses summoning focus, which pretty much makes his summons worthless, so not every class change is good. Let's say I start the game with a shaman, summoner, cleric, wizard, alchemist, and bishop. That is obviously a bad party. There are also some characters, like the Shaman, who is useless in the first 4 dungeons, and becomes very useful afterwards. Taking a shaman at the start is not useless per say as he becomes better later, but if you know that you can start him out as another class, and switch into the class later on, you've made a more effective character.

oic… kinda like Wizards & Warriors? The point of that system has always eluded me. It's like pretending to use random dice rolls for shits and giggles, but not actually making anyone submit to the will of lady luck.

Well, I'm not 100% sure what he meant exactly. It could be as you describe here, or it could be more of a "don't worry, the law of averages will work itself out". So far, though, I have no "bad" characters and all of my characters can hold their own (albeit with varying amounts of total HP, which is to be expected in any game that has character classes).

If you build a thief and switch classes he loses all thief abilities, and use of any thief equipment. Basically the only thing you get are his hit points. A summoner keeps his spells, but looses summoning focus, which pretty much makes his summons worthless, so not every class change is good. Let's say I start the game with a shaman, summoner, cleric, wizard, alchemist, and bishop. That is obviously a bad party. There are also some characters, like the Shaman, who is useless in the first 4 dungeons, and becomes very useful afterwards. Taking a shaman at the start is not useless per say as he becomes better later, but if you know that you can start him out as another class, and switch into the class later on, you've made a more effective character.

Interesting. So there seems to certainly be ample amount of complexity and things to figure out, which really is great. One could be tricked into thinking this is a very basic and simple game at the start, when really it seems to be anything but that. That's actually one of the reasons I've become so fond of it.

So yes, there are bad parties, I'm sure, and also good, well-balanced ones.

My Brawler is amazing at early levels. He is pretty much responsible for 80% of the kills right now. His ability to use combo attacks is priceless.

My Fighter is adequate now that he's equipped with Flamberge. He's good for the other 20% of the kills now that he does decent damage and hits more often than not.

My Cleric is useless with a mace, but a significant healer of the party. Her higher HP means she can protect my back line characters in certain situations.

My Thief is indispensable when it comes to traps, and now that he is equipped with a Shortbow, he is an 'okay' attacker, but not great.

My Mage seems a bit underpowered, although he has a nice array of spells for tougher encounters.

The Alchemist is amazing as well, as her ability to successfully run away from encounters has saved my party more than once.

I'm not sure I will make any class changes at this point, but I'll consider it in the future (and probably ask some questions on the forums, forgottenlor, in hopes that you may be able to help me. =) )

What is the point of starting as a fighter here, if the game recalculates you HP according to new class? You gain nothing by doing it, only loose time. Am i correct?

What is the point of starting as a fighter here, if the game recalculates you HP according to new class? You gain nothing by doing it, only loose time. Am i correct?

Characters also gain and lose stats each level based on their class, I believe.

A Fighter would probably get better Strength and Vitality boosts each level. =)

No. You keep your hit points, so starting as a fighter isn't so bad, since they get the most hit points. You get 1hp a level in your changed class until you surpass your old one, then you gain random hit points again.

Interesting. So there seems to certainly be ample amount of complexity and things to figure out, which really is great. One could be tricked into thinking this is a very basic and simple game at the start, when really it seems to be anything but that. That's actually one of the reasons I've become so fond of it.

So yes, there are bad parties, I'm sure, and also good, well-balanced ones.

My Brawler is amazing at early levels. He is pretty much responsible for 80% of the kills right now. His ability to use combo attacks is priceless.

My Fighter is adequate now that he's equipped with Flamberge. He's good for the other 20% of the kills now that he does decent damage and hits more often than not.

My Cleric is useless with a mace, but a significant healer of the party. Her higher HP means she can protect my back line characters in certain situations.

My Thief is indispensable when it comes to traps, and now that he is equipped with a Shortbow, he is an 'okay' attacker, but not great.

My Mage seems a bit underpowered, although he has a nice array of spells for tougher encounters.

The Alchemist is amazing as well, as her ability to successfully run away from encounters has saved my party more than once.

I'm not sure I will make any class changes at this point, but I'll consider it in the future (and probably ask some questions on the forums, forgottenlor, in hopes that you may be able to help me. =) )

Just so you know my party consisted of a Brawler, Valkyrie, Cleric, Wizard, Alchemist, Thief. I switched my Cleric to a Shaman, my Alchemist to a Samurai, My Wizard to Summoner and I went Thief-Bard-Alchemist-Thief.

Some spells are stackable, such as the -3 armor class bonus priest spell, the +4 armour class penalty mage spell and the +1 attack per character alchemist spell. Being able to cast these from multiple characters can make a big difference in some of the tough boss battles which occur in the mid and end game. You need wizard spells because levitation is necessary in some dungeons, and once you get teleport, the game becomes much more enjoyable, and you don't have to worry about trying to get out of a dungeon when you're out of spells and hit points. Also Wizard damaging spells can be pretty nice mid game. The shaman ability to shut down opposing magic is simply awesome late game. The shaman is a one trick pony though, he can't do anything else well, so it helps if he gains some spells from another class.

Just so you know my party consisted of a Brawler, Valkyrie, Cleric, Wizard, Alchemist, Thief. I switched my Cleric to a Shaman, my Alchemist to a Samurai, My Wizard to Summoner and I went Thief-Bard-Alchemist-Thief.

Some spells are stackable, such as the -3 armor class bonus priest spell, the +4 armour class penalty mage spell and the +1 attack per character alchemist spell. Being able to cast these from multiple characters can make a big difference in some of the tough boss battles which occur in the mid and end game. You need wizard spells because levitation is necessary in some dungeons, and once you get teleport, the game becomes much more enjoyable, and you don't have to worry about trying to get out of a dungeon when you're out of spells and hit points. Also Wizard damaging spells can be pretty nice mid game. The shaman ability to shut down opposing magic is simply awesome late game. The shaman is a one trick pony though, he can't do anything else well, so it helps if he gains some spells from another class.

Interesting. Thanks for posting! =)

When you say you went Thief-Bard-Alchemist-Thief, does that mean you changed that character's class 4 times? o_O

When should I start to consider class changes for my party? I'm not sure what level I am currently, maybe 5 or 6, and I'm currently exploring the Great Tree Yap Gotz.

Can you explain some of the benefits to switching classes as well? Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a lot of information about this game on the 'net. People like you are priceless, forgottenlor! =D

Interesting. Thanks for posting! =)

When you say you went Thief-Bard-Alchemist-Thief, does that mean you changed that character's class 4 times? o_O

When should I start to consider class changes for my party? I'm not sure what level I am currently, maybe 5 or 6, and I'm currently exploring the Great Tree Yap Gotz.

Can you explain some of the benefits to switching classes as well? Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a lot of information about this game on the 'net. People like you are priceless, forgottenlor! =D

3 times. I started as a thief, changed to bard, changed to alchemist and back to thief.

When should you change classes? Well it depends what you want a class to give you. For example, I don't think the level 6 & 7 Alchemist spells are all that useful, so I'd consider changing at level 10. On the other hand the level 7 Wizard spells you really need you get at level 15, so you probably want to hold out to change until then. 7th level priest spells aren't bad, but 6th level is all you really need, so you could change around level 12. I think you could change your Fighter to a Samurai or Lord if you have high enough stats. I'd probably wait till level 8 or so, though as these classes level slowly.

What are the benefits of switching classes? Well at high level you level up pretty slowly, but when you change classes you level up in your new class pretty quickly. You carry over ONLY your hit points and if you have spells you carry over a maximum of 3 castings per spell level. The party benefits can be great. For example in my final battle I had two characters spend the first two rounds casting the +1 attack alchemist spell and two casting the 3 point armour class buff and one debuffing the enemies armour. In round 3 my Samurai, Valkyrie, and Brawler could then pound on the boss and his troops very effectively (they had -12 ac, +4 attacks each, and the bad guys had +8 to their AC!). If I had those spells only on one character it would have made a difficult battle very, very difficult.
Also keep in mind that when you switch classes you can pay money to level up your character. This is a one shot deal, but if you invest 50k, I think you get up to level 6 or so, and that's not too much money late game. For example when I switched my thief from Bard to Alchemist I simply dumped 200k in his training then instantly switched him back to thief, as not to lose trap disarming.

If you want to conservatively switch classes, then you can simply swap spell casters. For example you could turn your alchemist into a cleric and your cleric into an alchemist. That way you lose no spellcasting class and in the end have a lot more options. Bishop is also an interesting choice for any spell casting class. Wizards carry over their wizard spells and gain access to priest spells, and priests carry over their priest spells and get access to wizard spells. It also an interesting choice for an alchemist who now has access to both wizard and priest spells as well as 3 alchemy castings/level carried over. Alternatively you could make a spellcaster like your wizard into a bard or samurai (priests into a Valkyries or Lords- and I read that an alchemist who becomes a Hunter keeps all his alchemist castings, though I haven't tried it). Since Bard and Samurai can also cast wizard spells, you keep all of your wizard castings, but have access to better armor and weapons. Also Lords, Valkyries, and Samurais get access to most fighter equipment, so switching into one of these from fighter lets you keep most of your good equipment, while letting you learn spells. Summoner, Servant, and Shaman offer some interesting abilities, but they are pretty bad in combat and have no real offensive abilities, so switching from a spell casting class offers you more options. Also a tip, before switching classes make an extra pre class change save. You can try out the new class, and always go back if you don't like it. If you want to try out a new class, put all your money into that character's training, and you can see what he/she can do at mid level.

Interesting. Thanks for the detailed info, forgottenlor. It will come in handy for me as soon as I level up a bit more. Gives me lots to think about, for sure.

I'm really, really enjoying this game. I'm experiencing some really tough encounters in the optional sections of Great Tree Yap Gotz, and the party management is getting more hardcore as well. Something as simple as making your way out of a dungeon can turn into a deadly trek if you're already low on supplies. I love it. Even a character said to me, "Ha, ha! I got carried away and went too deep into this place. I wanted to carry back as much treasure as possible, but now the simple act of leaving is thrilling!" It's so true.

You have to account for not only the combat in the game, but the overall party health outside of combat. And the inventory management is brilliant in that regard as well. It adds a great management element to the game. Which items do you keep? Which do you just throw away? Do you want to sacrifice the armor you're wearing in order to carry more items? It really is a fantastic little inventory system they've put into this game and I don't think people would even notice until they're several hours deep into the game.

All I can say about that is, I'm very thankful that I took the skill Mysterious Bag for my Thief, as well as Warehouse Storage (or whatever it's called) for my Alchemist. It allows me to pass along items found in chests to all my party members and excess items automatically get sent back to the warehouse. So actually, I haven't even had to deal with the really difficult decisions about items to keep and discard, etc. However, I don't have a true Alchemist in my party that can mix herbs and no one with Herbology, so it's a definite trade-off.

I'll have to make a new character creation video showing some of this stuff off, and hopefully remember to talk about some of these things in my Let's Play. It's really a complex little gem here and I'm just starting to peel back the layers.

Episode 3 is live, and I'm learning quickly that this game does NOT play around! Check it out if you'd like. =)

Something as simple as making your way out of a dungeon can turn into a deadly trek if you're already low on supplies. I love it. Even a character said to me, "Ha, ha! I got carried away and went too deep into this place. I wanted to carry back as much treasure as possible, but now the simple act of leaving is thrilling!" It's so true.

Welcome to dungeon crawling.

Back
Top Bottom