CD Projekt - Going Medieval On Pirates

No, but they can be stolen.

That's what people should do.

If you get caught first time shoplifting, you usually don't even have to pay a fine. And there's no jail time involved. You just get a mark on your record you can expunge after a few years because it wasn't a violent crime.

So that's what people should do instead. Shoplift games. Less risk than piracy!

Pirates pirate because they want to play.
Cloth maps, coins and statuettes cannot be easily pirated (yet).
Which means that CEs are ALWAYS bought.
Not pirated.

Yeah, I always thought the 'feelies' were the best anti-piracy method. Especially when they were integral to the game. Of course, now if you have to look up something outside your monitor, people bitch about it.

No, but they can be stolen.

Yes, okay. But only physically, I mean how do you get the contents onto a harddisk ?
Apart from digitalitzing some things. A cloth map digitalized isn't a cloth map anymore, because it doesn't consist of cloth anymore, then.

Yeah, I always thought the 'feelies' were the best anti-piracy method. Especially when they were integral to the game. Of course, now if you have to look up something outside your monitor, people bitch about it.

I have the manual for "Realm of Arkania 3" lying open at page 28 right under my monitor as I type this. Always forget the difference between "Plumbumbarum", "Ignifaxus" and "Fulminictus" :)

No, seriously - having the manuals, maps etc is part of the reason why I prefer to buy even the really old games that I play on Ebay, instead of using GoG... or pirate them....

One of my favorite things about U6P was breaking out my old cloth map and the Compendium.

If you get caught first time shoplifting, you usually don't even have to pay a fine. And there's no jail time involved. You just get a mark on your record you can expunge after a few years because it wasn't a violent crime.

It sounds like you're speaking from experience.

Yeah, exactly my thought.

Spore wasn't good and still people pirated it

As mentioned in someone else post, there are people that will always pirate game and never buy it. There is nothing that CDP can do about it. Those people surely don't use public trackers and have at least HMA turned on.

I just wanted to point out that I would gladly pay 200 eur for a game that would give me the feeling I had when I was playing PT, BG and NWN ...

How about the developer/publisher host servers playing live feeds of games - with proper segments (to avoid spoilers), and a thorough demonstration of all relevant features?

Perhaps even something like OnLive. Just let us demo the game for a few hours, and then make it available as a digital download if we want to play it.

That would be quite convenient - and I wouldn't mind being able to rent a game for a few days. Then I could decide if it was actually worth buying.

Still, it would mean a lot of AAA titles would probably not sell as well, as people would have to face the reality of the games not really matching the hype - and the impulse buys would lessen.

Greedy fat men won't like that ;)

Spore wasn't good and still people pirated it

Perhaps this is just my stupid mind, but doesn't it actually make sense that an overhyped game that doesn't deliver is an easier target of piracy than a game that does? Why would people that "pirate occasionally" buy a mediocre game? Perhaps they would have bought it if it was a better game.

Last edited:
Game-addicted people will torrent ANYTHING they can get.

Seconded.

An interesting move from CD Projekt

Don't know if anyone's mentioned this, but here in the UK we have a new system whereby they can just request that people's internet access is cut off for non payment of piracy fines. Saves the legal costs and encourages households to pay sensible fines. Does anyone else have anything similar in their countries?

Sounds fine and dandy, until pirates decide to use IP spoofing and unsecured or compromised wifi hotspots. It's possible, even likely, some innocents will become casualties in this situation.

Yes, pirates will or might do this, because they might believe they have a "right" to play games without paying ... Don't underestimate what people are allowing themselves to do under the influence of emotions of hatred and revenge ...

As mentioned in someone else post, there are people that will always pirate game and never buy it. There is nothing that CDP can do about it. Those people surely don't use public trackers and have at least HMA turned on.

I just wanted to point out that I would gladly pay 200 eur for a game that would give me the feeling I had when I was playing PT, BG and NWN …

This is true because games are too damn expensive and euans are ripped off with 5€=$5

Well, apparently there were actually people who torrented it just to piss off EA.

Sure , I even pirated it although my brother had bought it 1 day before , sheeding FTW

Perhaps this is just my stupid mind, but doesn't it actually make sense that an overhyped game that doesn't deliver is an easier target of piracy than a game that does? Why would people that "pirate occasionally" buy a mediocre game? Perhaps they would have bought it if it was a better game.

Thing is , release day :
2.000 1 star rates on amazon.com
7500 sheeders in (almost) each TPB torrent .

Back
Top Bottom