Bethesda Softworks - Dev Profile

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Lead Character Artist Christiane Meister is the first dev to be profiled for 2008 at the Bethblog:
What is the best part about working as an artist? The worst part?
My favorite part is designing how characters will look and work, down to the hairstyles, armor, and clothing. I generally liked to maintain a feel of culture — the objects that these people wore came from somewhere and were made by people of that particular place. I hope to carry that even further in the future. The worst part of the job is not quite succeeding at what you had envisioned, whether it is time, technology, or design constraints. But then art is never really finished — only abandoned.
Can I ask for better heads, please?
More information.

Actually, your post is misleading, Dhruin.

She was the lead character artist on Oblivion. Notice how they deliberately avoid talking about her job on Fallout 3?

She was demoted from lead character artist to just character artist. Probably for the atrocious job she did on Oblivion. Harsh, but that's the way it is.

The way they toe around it makes me think demotion, but you're right, it could well just be circumstances.

I'm going to assume they have a lead. If they want to improve, they need a lead, not a bunch of guys running around. Istvan can't handle all art.

It's a whole new world being depicted, so maybe they just liked someone else's artistic concepts better?

Since her husband is the Lead Programmer for Fallout 3, I doubt a demotion for his wife would happen. I think they'd like to keep MrSmileyFaceDude smiling.

Since her husband is the Lead Programmer for Fallout 3, I doubt a demotion for his wife would happen. I think they'd like to keep MrSmileyFaceDude smiling.

And I honestly doubt that matters.

Squeek: yeah, true. Who knows why she was demoted/temporarily placed back to just character artist, but she was.

And a good thing too, I think we can all agree. Oblivion doesn't show much promise on that department.

Back
Top Bottom