Mass Effect 2 - Why This Is the Future of the RPG

Dhruin

SasqWatch
So, we've had The Brainy Gamer explaining why there is room for different RPG styles but let's see one of these Why Mass Effect 2 is the future of the RPG articles he was talking about. From GamerNode:
This is where Mass Effect 2 comes into play. Everything that is wrong with RPGs is gone from ME2. There are no idiotic JRPG tropes or useless level grinding. You never have to keep track of your inventory, or gather tons of loot that will serve no purpose other than to be traded for currency later. The game boils down what an RPG really is: character progression, story, and most importantly, having you play a role.
So many other RPGs hand you a character that is nothing like you want them to be. They are their own character and you are just controlling them. They make their own choices and are slaves to the game's narrative. Yet in ME2, you can alter the story based on your choices. You're not bound to any strict storyline. You can choose to gain your crews' loyalty, or you can choose to not care about any of them, just the mission. Yes, there is a base plot here, but you can build your own story with it.
More information.

This guy cannot have played games for long.

But I do like Inventory and Stat mangerment... Neverless I do prefere ME2's lack of inventory over that in ME1.

Right On. I just hope they can streamline further so that I can play an rpg in which you don't have to do anything at all or make anything resembling a decision. Also one that can feed me cheetos without having to use my hands.

oh boy
……………………………………..________
………………………………,.-‘”……………….``~.,
………………………..,.-”……………………………..“-.,
…………………….,/………………………………………..”:,
…………………,?………………………………………………,
………………./…………………………………………………..,}
……………../………………………………………………,:`^`..}
……………/……………………………………………,:”………/
…………..?…..__…………………………………..:`………../
…………./__.(…..“~-,_…………………………,:`………./
………../(_….”~,_……..“~,_………………..,:`…….._/
……….{.._$;_……”=,_…….“-,_…….,.-~-,},.~”;/….}
………..((…..*~_…….”=-._……“;,,./`…./”…………../
…,,,___.`~,……“~.,………………..`…..}…………../
…………(….`=-,,…….`……………………(……;_,,-”
…………/.`~,……`-………………………………./
………….`~.*-,……………………………….|,./…..,__
,,_……….}.>-._……………………………..|…………..`=~-,
…..`=~-,__……`,……………………………
……………….`=~-,,.,………………………….
…………………………..`:,,………………………`…………..__
……………………………….`=-,……………….,%`>—==``
…………………………………._……….._,-%…….`
……………………………..,

His arguement is laughably simple.

It seems to him that RPGs are too hard as he writes 'confusing combat systems' and most of the time he is just bashing on RPGs in general. You can almost feel his frustration.

That being said I would like to add in an RPG is not just about playing a role, it is an aspect of the RPG genre certainly but it is definitely not the core of the RPG.

In Crysis you are playing the role of a Marine being assaulted by aliens, does that make it an RPG? Certainly not.

But this bozo thinks it might.

I'm not surprised to read this after reading on certain forums that some people believe that WoW invented equipment to kit out your character. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
There is more to role playing then just playing a singular character. I studied it for a semester and did my research paper on it - although it was more focused on the psychological aspects of using online (MMORPG) role playing as a means of identity exploration. In general, role-playing is defined “as the psychotherapeutic technique that can reduce the conflict inherent in various social situations, in which participants act out various behavioral roles in order to expand their awareness of differing points of view and learn more about themselves in the process".

In following many of the BSN, GG and a few other forums a lot of people seem to feel ME2 excels at being an RPG because you take on the role of Shepherd. While that is playing a role it is a very limited one, with very narrow limits. The broader the choices in game, interaction, character looks, abilities, etc., the greater the diversity and ability to try out different roles.

Based on my own opinion and research I really don't see ME2 being all that broad in the RPG area by any means. I think there is a lot of confusion among some gamers on what role playing means in general, let alone all the confusion surrounding current genre definitions.

Last edited:
I'm not surprised to read this after reading on certain forums that some people believe that WoW invented equipement to kit out your character. :rolleyes:
Heh. I remember reading about people who came out of the first LotR movie and were amazed that someone had already written a book based on it. I kid you not.

ME2 is rpg-lite. No stats and no inventory, to me, is not a true rpg.

I really hope this is NOT the future.

Everything that is wrong with RPGs is gone from ME2. There are no idiotic
Speaking of idio........err RPGs. :biggrin:

Yet in ME2, you can alter the story based on your choices. You're not bound to any strict storyline.
Is this guy playing the same game I am? I mean, having played Mass Effect I *knew* I didn't want to go with Martin Sheen down to see Col. Kurtz ... yet there I went. The order of the sections of railroad might be your choice - but make no mistake, you are playing Shepard, and you are on rails.

Not that it is a bad thing, but the whole premise he makes is so far detached from reality it is almost scary ...

Reminds me of the same kind of tripe Hollywood shoves down our throats. all action and no depth. Some folks like it that way, RPG'ers are not usually among them.

Back
Top Bottom