US Now Have A Total Gangster Government

Not sure I would dismiss that one out of hand. While the media might not be reverse racist itself, they're more than happy to give Jesse and Al a pulpit for their blatant racism whenever an opportunity presents itself. I believe that Oxlar, rather than playing some race card, was pointing out that this situation would likely have been deemed such an opportunity had the dipshit been black instead of a WASP.
I honestly don't think this story would have been covered either way, since the Pastor wasn't beaten. If they had been wailing on him with nightsticks for minutes and kicking him on the ground? Then yeah, it'd be covered.

The fact that race had absolutely no bearing on the situation (nor would have if the same events happened to Rodney King himself) would be completely ignored in the glorious media circus. If it bleeds, it leads, and never let the facts get in the way of a good story...
Right, but, why are we even bringing race into this discussion? My point is if we want to start dragging it into every discussion it's more than fair to say "you wouldn't care if the guy was black!". Do I think that's a valid argument? No.

Fine. I obviously don't fit into your clique. Its funny how your tone goes from 'repremanding me' for throwing heat in my personal defense in other threads to my skin just isn't thick enough, when one of your gang acts like ass. Total joke. Ha ha, the jokes on the outsider. Way to moderate. I'm sure you'll attract a large following.

Since I didn't call you a racist, whatever. If you want to get mad, great, but you snipped one line, ignored everything else, and ignored the explanation. My point was that it's stupid to bring race into this, otherwise you're acting exactly like the people you were taking aim at (Jackson and Sharpton), and that if you want to randomly throw out a "if he was black they'd care!" then it's just as fair to throw out a "if he was black you wouldn't care!" argument. Absolutely no substance required for either of them.

Can I get someone to call me a racist? How about a stupid American imperialist baby killer? Maybe a mindless drone for my evil corporate masters?

*yawn* Wouldn't be the first time and certainly won't be the last.

Jeezuz, people, man up (magerette, you're exempt just this once). If we're going to take offense at every innuendo, we're not going to get anywhere. Corwin steps in when it gets particularly ugly, but there's really no need to run to Mommy every time someone says something that just might maybe sorta kinda be a little personal dig. Ignore it and continue the discussion. That's what big people do. Generally, the whole group will step in to put on the brakes before it gets to the level where a moderator is needed anyway. Much like our (off-topic) topic pastor, if you go looking for trouble, it doesn't make much sense to complain when it finds you. We can keep a level of decorum and mutual respect here without having every conversation completely sanitized.

And just so there's no question, this isn't aimed solely at Oxlar (who didn't seem to notice, or perhaps didn't care, that he wasn't going it alone on this particular discussion). We've had a handful of incidents involving several members in the past couple weeks and it's getting a little tiresome. No blood, no foul, people. If there ain't a dead body in the road, don't call the cops.

Can I get someone to call me a racist? How about a stupid American imperialist baby killer? Maybe a mindless drone for my evil corporate masters?
You forgot fascist! :p

Jeezuz, people, man up (magerette, you're exempt just this once). If we're going to take offense at every innuendo, we're not going to get anywhere. Corwin steps in when it gets particularly ugly, but there's really no need to run to Mommy every time someone says something that just might maybe sorta kinda be a little personal dig. Ignore it and continue the discussion. That's what big people do. Generally, the whole group will step in to put on the brakes before it gets to the level where a moderator is needed anyway. Much like our (off-topic) topic pastor, if you go looking for trouble, it doesn't make much sense to complain when it finds you. We can keep a level of decorum and mutual respect here without having every conversation completely sanitized.

And just so there's no question, this isn't aimed solely at Oxlar (who didn't seem to notice, or perhaps didn't care, that he wasn't going it alone on this particular discussion). We've had a handful of incidents involving several members in the past couple weeks and it's getting a little tiresome. No blood, no foul, people. If there ain't a dead body in the road, don't call the cops.

Right. I think from now on I'll just put **DISCLAIMER: TURNING ARGUMENT BACK AROUND** or something if I feel I'm saying something that could be misinterpreted like Oxlar just did. My point (and I think you got it, dte?) was that I found the argument irrelevant, easy to make (as in it doesn't require any evidence), and that it could be easily be reversed towards anyone making that argument and be just as valid.

Now, if this guy had been beaten to a pulp like Rodney King I would have actually agreed with Oxlar.

Usually I don't call people names like that. But then again I'm always eager to please, so ....

As a thought experiment, I guess, if I really wanted to offend you, I should probably claim that all that right-wing talk is just a mask, that in reality you are a (closet) leftie. But I won't say that. :)

Compared to other sites (Youtube comments for instance), this place is very civilized, and it's loong between nasty attacks - which usually come from trolls on a short visit anyway.

Compared to other sites (Youtube comments for instance), this place is very civilized, and it's loong between nasty attacks - which usually come from trolls on a short visit anyway.

I'm surprised you didn't mention RPGCodex, that place is about as civilized as a chimpanzee exhibit.

Wait....... was that racist?

Shame on you, JDR, you site-ist you.

I actually like the fact that we've got some people here that I consider total wackjobs. A variety of viewpoints is a good thing, folks. That leads to conversation. That leads to thinking...well, in most cases. :p As an example relevent to this thread, I think mudsling is a wackjob. BUT, he's very consistent with his beliefs and makes an effort to support his arguments with outside references. I respect that, and I'm glad he participates. I doubt we're going to see eye-to-eye on many topics, but there's nothing wrong with that. I'm going to make fun of him from time to time, but there's no malice to it and I fully expect him to make fun of me from time to time as well. Is that a personal attack? Probably. It's not hostile and I'm willing to take everything I dish out, so I really don't see any problem with it. If I get genuinely mean about it, the group will give me a spanking and if I don't get the hint, Corwin will kick my butt. That's how it should work, and I'm convinced it's uniformly applied to everyone that dips their toe in the P&R forum.

It's a good system, folks. Let's make it work.

And since PJ isn't here to defend himself, he's a cheese-eatin pinko commie surrender monkey. :p (that's actually the first time I've called him a surrender monkey, but he always adds it to the list so I figure I might was well go with the flow)

Yes, enough with all the crybaby whining. This isn't high school where everybody sits in the cafeteria being snarky and opinionated about the misfits' poor choice of body piercings. It's a place where grown-ups debate huge weighty issues of global importance while being snarky and opinionated about mine-is-better-than-yours political systems or whether the earth is 6,000 years old.

Heat/kitchen/can't take/exit stage left. Do you really expect a forum called politics and religion to be an agreement-festing kum-by-yah place? My personal preference is to see the level of smackdown set at a higher tone than using the F-bomb twenty times in a sentence or hurling cut and paste epithets, because it's more fun that way, but that's just me.

And since PJ isn't here to defend himself, he's a cheese-eatin pinko commie surrender monkey. (that's actually the first time I've called him a surrender monkey, but he always adds it to the list so I figure I might was well go with the flow)
That really covers all the bases, dte. When he gets through eating cheese and sipping wine off in the recreational lefty bastions of Europe, I'm sure he'll return the favor.

That really covers all the bases, dte. When he gets through eating cheese and sipping wine off in the recreational lefty bastions of Europe, I'm sure he'll return the favor.

Seriously, I'm surprised he hasn't stopped by an internet cafe yet... just to see if anyone's talking about him. ;)

My posts are probably blocked so he can't see them. He's in France and they don't like my kind over there...

My posts are probably blocked so he can't see them. He's in France and they don't like my kind over there...
They have a moron-blocker? Wow. Might be useful.

They have a moron-blocker? Wow. Might be useful.
Your posts are still getting thru, so it's obviously not 100% effective yet. :p

See what I mean? You ruin a perfectly good joke by applying unnecessary logic. Keep up, dude, keep up!

See what I mean? You ruin a perfectly good joke by applying unnecessary logic. Keep up, dude, keep up!
At least you are consistent in not applying any logic...

Sucker's bet, Dte has EXPERIENCE on his side!! :)

I wonder what the "b" in bkreuger stands for? I'm betting on Brittany.

Back
Top Bottom