BioWare - Dragon Age 3

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
With Dragon Age 2 released it's time for the rumour machine to spit out the latest blurb: Dragon Age 3 is in the making. The source of this is the Official Playstation Magazine of which the information can be found on CVG. The hottest part of it is probably that Dragon Age 3 is multiplayer.
The gears of Official PlayStation Magazine's rumour machine have been turning and according to the mag a third game in BioWare's fantasy role-playing series Dragon Age is currently in production, complete with an all-new multiplayer mode.
More information.

What was the first "rumors" about ME3? That's right, that it was going to have multiplayer. What did we learned in the first preview of ME3? It won't have any multiplayer…

Last edited:
I'd rather they put more effort into the single-player this time. :)

I agree with the short developmental cycles focus on one part of the game. They want to fuck this franchise up, don't they. There doing a good job so far.

One of my friends expressed his opinion as follows on another site. He like me is an older gamer and getting more jaded in the genre and Bioware.

It's a great excuse to make an even shorter single-player campaign. Bravo !

They're looking for the perfect money-making recipe, the fine line between minimum work and maximum profit. They'll take all the data available on what the sheeple like to play, and they'll create their "art" accordingly.
What's the most profitable nowadays ? Multiplayer of course… with some tacked-on, symbolic single-player-yeah-aha-whateva campaign. So why should they waste time and resources making 30hrs+ games, when moronic on-rail shooters bring in a billion dollars with far less content ?

Publishers will perfect formulas for success so rigid, that all AAA titles will be the same crappola in a slightly different skin. Devs will have 18 months tops to finish a game, by following these gamer-approved instructions:
- multiplayer is a must;
- 4hrs of single-player is enough;
- as much sexy time as possible;
- lots of ego-inflating achievements for banal actions;
- anime violence, anime gear;
- it's fun to collect DLCs, so more of that;
- anything gimmicky (Kinect & the rest).

I have a feeling that at some point Dragon Age will become episodic. The first episode will contain the main base, a central hub, and every subsequent episode will add a new area and quest chain around it. The pricing will look attractive, but in the end you'll pay more for less (that's the whole point), and the experience will be totally fragmented and buggy. Deadlines will have to be met at the expense of polish. It'll be a huge cluster fuck, but hey, you'll get to admire blocky tough guys explore their sexuality in highly choreographed cinematic sequences.

Told you he is a little jaded but I see the truth in his little rant. They sated there goal was more sales at any cost. Your also already paying over $200 for the games and dlc in the end. It also seems they want to move away from single player games and focus on the mmo despite having different teams. Well I wasted enough time and these are just rumors. I'm sure someone will disagree and this jadded gamer who is sick of this crap will lose more faith in the games I play.

Last edited:
What was the first "rumors" about ME3? That's right, that it was going to have multiplayer. What did we learned in the first preview of ME3? It won't have any multiplayer…

Yeah, rumors are silly. I try and pay no attention to them.

Wasn't happy with the second .... wan't sure about buying the thrid to begin with...but the thought of multiplayer makes me sick...
I work for a living...have a family.....don't want to spend time running around with a a handfull of real games and a ton of morons..

Da 3 Announced ?? You mean it's not out yet what's taking them so long, ea is going to be pissed.:)

Just heard they added the night elf Mohawk class also this is going to rock.

I enjoyed DA2 more than DA1 although both are good. I doubt DA3 will be multi-player but who knows.

What is the fascination w/ every game having Multiplayer as a bullet-point on a box these days? o_o

A) People enjoy it.
B) If you play via their servers, it makes it a lot harder to pirate.

A) People enjoy it.
B) If you play via their servers, it makes it a lot harder to pirate.

I miss the old days [in the 90's] when an extra option for LAN on PC games was more common-place.

It's all about games becoming social media. Problem for me though is I'm an anti-social gamer.

The problem is a lot of MP's these days in games feel tacted-on, for whatever reason:
Dead Space 2's MP doesn't have enough maps;
Bioshock 2's MP was fun for a short-time, but felt like many other MP's;
Many other FPS's have a COD4-style leveling and unlocking system.

The other problem is a lot of games w/ MP components - especially in the shooter genre - the SP becomes extremely short and lacking in content.

I don't want to see Dragon Age 3 have less SP content, if they make split SP and MP portions.

My comment on Bioware and multiplayer is as follows.
There is currently no new KOTOR announced or in production.

My comment on Bioware and multiplayer is as follows.
There is currently no new KOTOR announced or in production.

Are you referring to the fact that there is a KOTOR MMORPG in development? Because I don't see how this is particularly relevant. The Kotor online game is developed by a new department of Bioware. I think more along the lines that they have either trouble with Lucas (e.g. licensing, etc) or they think that the ME and DA franchises are more profitable (which they may very well be since Bioware doesn't have to pay any licensing fees).

And on that note: Only the first KOTOR was made by Bioware. The second part was developed by Obsidian. And I personally think that the ME universe was developed in part because Bioware wanted a Sci-Fi universe they could use however they wanted (story and gameplay wise) without having to confer with external license holders (e.g. Lucas).

What is the fascination w/ every game having Multiplayer as a bullet-point on a box these days? o_o
Its a cheap way to expand content through "relationship mechanics".
1 = 1
1+1 = 3

Of course if you are not interested of experiencing crpgs with other people then it doesnt really work for you.

Its a cheap way to expand content through "relationship mechanics".
1 = 1
1+1 = 3

Of course if you are not interested of experiencing crpgs with other people then it doesnt really work for you.

Exactly I hate playing online with other people so I despise MMO's and Multiplayer on principle. Doesn't help that you have to pay $60 and get a minimal sigleplayer. That is the industry standard.

Exactly I hate playing online with other people so I despise MMO's and Multiplayer on principle. Doesn't help that you have to pay $60 and get a minimal sigleplayer. That is the industry standard.
Its same for me. To make it work I would have to find like-minded roleplayers who can stay IC so that immersion is the same as in singleplayer. Other than that I have a small problem with timetables since Im used to playing when *I* want to.

But I guess EA thinks people like us are niche if they keep changing singleplayer games into multiplayer ones.

Back
Top Bottom