Let's Play NexuiZ - an excellent opensource multiplayer shooter for Windows/Linux/Mac

G

Nexuiz is a first-person shooter by Alientrap Software. It is a free game: source code is free software and data is free content. It is distributed under the GNU General Public License (GPL). Version 1.0 was released on May 31, 2005. The current version, 2.4.2, was released on May 11, 2008.

Nexuiz uses DarkPlaces, a significantly modified Quake engine.

Nexuiz is a FPS with nine weapons, 24 official maps and over 240 community created maps, as well as 15 player models.

The graphics in Nexuiz use coronas, the bloom shader effect, Realtime World and Dynamic Lighting and shadowing,[clarification needed] shaders (with OpenGL 2.0), offset mapping, and High dynamic range rendering. All these effects can be turned off to make the game run on older hardware

http://www.alientrap.org/nexuiz/

nexuiz_screenshot_08_thumb.jpg

nexuiz_screenshot_05_thumb.jpg

I've been running a server for a small circle of friends lately, and I got the idea just the other day to ask if there would be any interest here within the rpgwatch populace for a nice quick round or two of oldschool team deathmatch / capture the flag? We could play an for an hour or two here and there... I could make the server non-public and password protected so we could play exclusively with the rpgwatch club members :D It's a free-game, one simple easy download, works on any operating systems (it really does, I actually played with a linux box once) and if you turn of some of the eye-candy it works on pretty low-end machinery too. I played it on a Celeron laptop with a crappy intel integrated graphics chip and it ran fine even with some of the eyecandy on.

It could be cleansing and relaxing experience to shoot the living crap out of each other and just have some plain old fun together. Nothing too serious or competitive (i hate competitive) we could just agree on a time and start playing. Well, just a thought. Post here if you're interested.

Count me in !! Haven't played online since COD 2 and I'm eager to try something new(while waiting for patch for G3).I dont know if my internet speed is enough thought.

The game is playable with a 56k modem. Your skills (or lack of thereof) are of no importance. I suck at FPS. We're not counting scores. Just having a bloodba... I mean... fun! If we get at least 6-8 people it's so chaotic and frenetic that individual gaming performance is lost in the haze of blood and war anyhow. So fear not, just keep tapping the jump button and keep the left mouse button pressed down at all times :D

System requirements 1 GHz Pentium III or Athlon, 512 MB of RAM, GeForce 2 or equivalent, 400 MB disk space

Platform(s) X Window System (running under Linux, UNIX), Windows, Mac OS X 10.4 or newer

Nexuiz is pretty... well, average. Try Warsow for some quality FPS action! Anyway, I'm up for whatever as soon as I can get some free time.

I've got lots of free time so I'm in whenever you like

The game is playable with a 56k modem
I wont have any problem
400 MB disk space
Damn time to delete something
So fear not, just keep tapping the jump button and keep the left mouse button pressed down at all times
My FPS skills are average have completed COD 4,UT3,FEAR,Crysis on hard.I guess this will be something like Unreal Tournament 2004 that means FUN

My skills are kinda rusty since i dont play fps anymore w/ the exception of L4D, and other more important rpgs n stuff take my time...

Used to deathmatch til the crack of dawn. Also, until morning occasionally as well!

But I think i could be persuaded to fight out a few rounds. It doesnt have to be a sunset-to-sunrise marathon gaming session or anything. Let me know what kinda schedule you guys come up w/, I'm generally available from 6-12 pm Pacific time daily.

Ah, I always loved NexuiZ :). Visuals were so Quake while sounds were so UT...

Yeah, why I feel that it's the best (free) multiplayer FPS from all I tried (and I tried them all) because it feels like a perfect blend of quake and unreal. great weapons, great maps, great action and this wonderful frenetic atmosphere. especially capture the flag is great fun among a group of friends.

Looks like fun, Zachary--wish I could play but that first person Quake thing gives me motion sickness. Have fun and do some trouncing of the godless and/or godly elements. :)

Looks like fun, Zachary--wish I could play but that first person Quake thing gives me motion sickness. Have fun and do some trouncing of the godless and/or godly elements. :)

Damn, that's a shame. Would've loved to punish you for spelling my name wrong....

.. and for liking diablo :D

(i'm sure if I provoke you enough for you to get pissed off, there no such thing as motion sickness :D )

hey, I can throw up on your shoes if you want proof. :p

(Apologies for my lack of spelling skillz--it took me months to get zarahtustra's name right.)

At least your English is better than mine, Esseliad never complained about it. ;)

Back
Top Bottom