Sacred 2 - PhysX Version Coming

Dhruin

SasqWatch
According to PC Games Hardware, Ascaron is preparing an enhanced version of Sacred 2 with hardware PhysX support, for release later this month:
At the Cebit we saw the Physx support in action. The effects are rather unobtrusive. For example leaves were blown around by the wind or stones and small particles dropped to the ground. Furthermore certain spells of the characters have been upgraded with additional Physx effects and the visualization of flags swaying in the wind is realized with GPU Physx, too. On screenshots those effects aren't looking as spectacular as they really are. Therefore we shot a video of the sequences.
Head over to check out some video.
More information.

Not exactly what I hoped for the next patch.
Shouldn't they do some bugfixing instead?

...and some work on the quest log to make it useable.
...and a pause button.

Pause button for an action RPG?

There is no way to pause the game at any time. If doorbell rings, or anything distracts you, there is only hope you won't find you avatar dead (and reborn at a rebirth statue, probably far from where you left her/him) when return to the game.

It's even funnier, if you play in hardcore mode, there is no reborn, so if you die, you can start from the start.

Here we go again; more eye-candy and less trouble-free game play functionality.

There is no way to pause the game at any time. If doorbell rings, or anything distracts you, there is only hope you won't find you avatar dead (and reborn at a rebirth statue, probably far from where you left her/him) when return to the game.

It's even funnier, if you play in hardcore mode, there is no reborn, so if you die, you can start from the start.

Can't you just press escape?

no, seriously. There is no pause in this game.

The escape key brings up the game menu, and that's even worse because it obscures the entire center of the screen, but the game is still going on in the background. Like szokol says, it makes it pretty rough if you have to go to the bathroom or something since there's enemies roaming everywhere, it's best to just wait til you get to a town or something.

Thankfully, the respawn rate isnt as frequent as the original, you can kinda take care of business then cross your fingers and go do what you have to real quick.

A pause function would be nice. What bugs are people seeing, though? Apart from some very minor stuff (like some clipping or dodgy physics animations), I haven't had any real trouble.

On the official forum, one of the developers wrote that the game is in multiplayer mode every time, so that's why they couldn't build in "pause".
It is a bug to me, why can't they build in a player number check? If it is"1" pause is allowed. If it is 2 or more, then pause is not allowed. Can't believe it is so difficult.

There is a problem with light effects, at certain places all the lights disappear, at least one broken quest I found, quest markers sometimes missplaced and so on.
There is a lot to do, this visual effects are so unimportant.

are you guys having performance issues? Screw physx, i just want the game to run right.

Ive got a modest, but decent P4 3.4ghz 2GB NV8800GT system going here. I'm turning off grass and tree canopy overhead and everything, even nixed shadows, and while singular enemies running around arent that bad, if there's packs of enemies running around it's nigh unplayable at times.

Bummin me out here, I dont want to have to avoid all high traffic areas w/ tons of enemies, those are some of the most fun to play because that's where you get the challenge. I'm going to try turning off all physx on my card, I read that can help.

You sure you aren't hit by the sound bug? I don't know if they fixed it game-side by now, but it caused me loads of trouble - in the end, downloading the newest drivers for my (integrated) sound card helped a lot. So, if you've got a Realtek chip, go get newer drivers.

Other than that, I'm not sure. It's been a while since I've played it (and I obviously never tried to pause), but it ran acceptably well on my 7600 and a 2.4 GHz processor. New graphics card drivers are always a good idea, but that's a given.

Playing on a laptop (C2D 2.4Ghz, 8600GT Mobile) and it runs nicely on "high" (not "very high", just "high").

@szokol, you've given me one quest bug and a limited lighting issue (which I haven't seen). I don't see that as a big deal but your post seems upset. Is there more?

I am not upset, only think that they wasting their time for an unimportant and useless function, althogh there are more important issues.
For example the "SPACE" for healing sometimes works only for the 3-4th time.
And yes the missing pause function, or the quest log witch is a mess after a few hours of play is a big mistake in an otherwise great game.

The "missing pause" is a deliberate design choice. I know you and I disagree but why would they spend time changing something they're happy with?

Never, ever seen the healing issue you are referring to.

Ya, never had the space bar not work, but my only gripe to date is the sometimes unresponsive attach queuing. Char just stands there and gets whacked while you attempt to melee.

Oh and it gets mildly boring about the time you're getting to the jungle...

The "missing pause" is a deliberate design choice. I know you and I disagree but why would they spend time changing something they're happy with?

Never, ever seen the healing issue you are referring to.

Ascaron is very good at supporting their products. This "pause" thing is maybe the most complained problem on the official forum, so if players want it, why not to include?

As for the non-working healing button: lucky you, I had a few reborn because of that, and not only me, according to the offical forum.

Ya, never had the space bar not work, but my only gripe to date is the sometimes unresponsive attach queuing. Char just stands there and gets whacked while you attempt to melee.

I thought that was just me, but yeah, being ranged sometimes I cant finish them all off before they get to me. I hit F1 (melee weapon), I hit it again, still no sword... oh shit.. **frantically hits the G key**

Happened far too many times. Actually died because of that, and Ive only died twice so far in about 15 hours of play..

I bought and played Sacred Gold for about 8 hours and Sacred 2 demo for 5 minutes. I don't know how you folks do it. Every 20 feet of land contested with mind numbing hordes of fodder. I want to like the Sacred franchise but it just wears me down. The quests were OK, but I just couldnt keep it going. Does it get better somewhere or at least varied?

Back
Top Bottom