Colin McComb - Interview @ RPG Nuke

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
RPG Nuke interviewed Colin McComb about Torment: Tides of Numenera.

RPGNuke: Hi Colin! Let's start with some Tides of Numenera questions. A one and a half years passed since the end of kickstarter campaign. What is the status of the project now? Where there many changes to the initially planned? Did you have to cut anything out or did you manage to add anything new? As far as I know the pre-production phase now comes to its end and the prodution phase starts, how does this transition occur?

Colin: We are shifting from limited production to production. What limited production means is that we were creating content for the game, but not at the speed that we might expect during a full production period. Rather, it’s in ways that prove out our ideas and concepts, or that show where the weaknesses in our pipeline are, or that help build the best processes for the whole team.

As to whether we had to cut anything: We have! But that’s natural for any project as we assess scope and our desired impact. We’ve tightened up the story in some places, expanded it in others, and tried to make sure that we are focused exactly on delivering what we’ve promised to our backers. We’ve also managed to expand areas that were smaller in the original vision, and I’m happy with where we are as a result of our discussions.

The transition from Wasteland 2 to Torment is happening slowly and carefully under Kevin’s supervision. He wants to make sure that the newer members of the team are done with their responsibilities on Wasteland 2, or at least done enough that they can begin to devote serious attention to our project. They’ll start by getting familiar with our tools and our processes, and they can point out places where our processes and documentation need improvement. As more and more of them come over, and as people ramp up on the project, we’ll see a faster pace for production and creation of all our assets.
More information.

Contrary to PoE I'm getting all the right vibes from this project,
and I'm really glad that they decided to go with turn based combat.

Contrary to PoE I'm getting all the right vibes from this project,and I'm really glad that they decided to go with turn based combat.
I'm also looking forward to the game, and the interview does gives me hope. Anyway I hope the delay of production wont push the game back more than it did already.

As for turn based combat I'm fine with it as I enjoy variety. The arguments about their decision still have me shaking my head at the internet outrage a few months back.

Good interview. I see we have similar thoughts about Torment. I welcome TB combat too. As Colin said:
"My personal preference for games depends on what game I’m playing. I’m not an absolutist in either direction. "

Its nice to have peacefull discussion here, but I think its not interesting enought to have 200+ posts like another topic(s). :)

BTW One thing I like on Torment is their focus on personal story. Thats what Im missing in RPGs for a long time. You usually play some more or less nameless hero who saves the world. And if there is personal motive its simple revenge. I would like to see more RPGs with important personal background for your hero. So when you create your hero, you will also choose some of his motives or starting situation which should influence the whole story.

Its nice to have peacefull discussion here, but I think its not interesting enought to have 200+ posts like another topic(s). :)
My regular news-bits rarely do as they average 2- 5 posts everyday.
One thing I like on Torment is their focus on personal story. Thats what Im missing in RPGs for a long time. You usually play some more or less nameless hero who saves the world. And if there is personal motive its simple revenge. I would like to see more RPGs with important personal background for your hero. So when you create your hero, you will also choose some of his motives or starting situation which should influence the whole story.
That actually does sound like a good idea. It would be nice to see another game change based on your motives. I recall a few games have tried this, but it wasn't perfect.

Update: I just noticed the link is down due to RPG Nuke's website having connection problems. So everyone please have patience till they fix it.:)

I think the strongest stories in CRPGs in the recent years are told in Spiderweb games.

I think the strongest stories in CRPGs in the recent years are told in Spiderweb games.
True as I recall Avadon 2 has branching paths were you could alter the games ending based on your motivations. I have to give it a re-play, and try another route.

The Witcher series has strong stories, too. And I like the fairy-tale style of the Drakensang series as well.

The Witcher series has strong stories, too. And I like the fairy-tale style of the Drakensang series as well.
I played both Witcher games and the second one was better with the choices, and branching campaign compared to the first game. I still enjoyed both games though.

As for the Drakensang series I own both of them, but sadly have never completed either one of them. So I can't share an opinion on them, and I should try to finish them.

What do you like on it? Could you be more specific?

Couchpotato said:
My regular news-bits rarely do as they average 2- 5 posts everyday.

Yes. But dont forget there are around 8-10 news a day here. This is not mainstream web. You do good job to show all those KS games here so some people will be attracted but they wont comment every small news-bits. There is always more passive users than active ones.

Couchpotato said:
As for the Drakensang series I own both of them, but sadly have never completed either one of them.

Great RPGs. Unfortunately english versions were a little butchered, especially first Drakensang. Texts were shortened, some voice overs omitted and lore were partially omitted too. So the whole TDE game world could look more interesting if they would put more work into it.

Last edited:
Jeff Vogel isn't that good of a writer, and I think he lost most of his inspiration, his best work was in Geneforge.

About this I'm worried about production problems, and them having their ambitious and somewhat disjointed vision come to life. It's obvious that Wasteland ended up taking much much longer to make, and cost more than double what they initially thought, so for something as unorthodox and eclectic I think they might be in for quite an headache.

I hope the gameplay will be far more satisfying than in Torment, because in that game you played it almost like a visual novel with huge dialogue through multiple NPCs, and I don't remember doing much else apart from roaming funky pseudo gothic 2D environments and picking up copper bracelets from slain thieves.

Personally Torment didn't really grab me at all. Though now since the people who worked on it are older maybe the perspective they will have to bring up will be different.

Jeff Vogel isn't that good of a writer, and I think he lost most of his inspiration, his best work was in Geneforge.

What was so good about Geneforge? I dont know his work.

About this I'm worried about production problems, and them having their ambitious and somewhat disjointed vision come to life. It's obvious that Wasteland ended up taking much much longer to make, and cost more than double what they initially thought

Well, it wil just take more time. I dont think they will be ready at the end of 2015. More likely Q1-3 of 2016.

I hope the gameplay will be far more satisfying than in Torment, because in that game you played it almost like a visual novel

I hope it will. :) But it still will be game for lovers of story and dialogues.

Geneforge is good because there a several factions with different agendas in the game. You can join them, betray them, play on your own - very high replay value.

The first 3 Exile games games are so good, that Jeff made remakes several times (-> Avernum series). The story is unique - about an underground society that was founded as a prison!

BTW One thing I like on Torment is their focus on personal story. Thats what Im missing in RPGs for a long time.
Think that's actually very tricky to get right. While obviously leagues ahead of your usual Bioware save the world stuff I felt the way MotB's story was personal was significantly less effective than what PST did. Hope the protagonist's "torment" will be better set in this one.

Back
Top Bottom