Dragon Age: Inquisition - Preview @ Gamingillustrated

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Gamingillustrated has a preview for Dragon Age: Inquisition. Most of what is said we all ready know, but it doesn't hurt to have more of them.

Dragon Age 3 was originally touted as an open-world game in the style of The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim. However, this is not the case. Bioware has indeed been examining Skyrim, but only in the sense of exploring how to make the game world of Dragon Age 3 bigger, more varied, and more open to exploration than what we have previously seen in the Dragon Age games. A very common criticism of the series, especially of Dragon Age 2, was that a lot of environments were repeated.

With Dragon Age 3, Bioware hopes to eliminate that. The world of the game is supposed to be huge. One map is reported to be four times that of the map of Ferelden in the original game. Although gamers have yet to see it, one can only hope that players will be allowed to see much mentioned places like Tevinter and Orlais.

From the looks of things, Bioware is making Dragon Age 3 one big game. So it only makes sense that a game this big comes with a big plotline. The stakes are high in the world of Thedas. As a result of Dragon Age 2, mages and templars are at war with each other and the resulting chaos has caused a tear in the Fade, the magical realm that is host to demons and other very bad things. It is up to the player to calm things down.

As Bioware has put it, the main plot will be “saving the world from itself”. The player is supposed to take the role of a of an inquisitor, leading a politico-religious inquisition to restore order to the world. Hence the game’s subtitle, “Inquisition”. By the looks of it, things are going to be very serious and consequential in Dragon Age 3.
More information.

Last edited:
mages and templars are at war with each other and the resulting chaos has caused a tear in the Fade

There is actually no proof that the fighting is what caused the Fade Breach. Also, dragons, everyone is missing the official website line about the dragons...

To me:

The action was OK (not my favorite)
The characters were decent
The idea of everything happening in a small hub like a city was interesting

But:

I hate hate hate all the endlessly repeated political nonsense about the chantry and the mages and the dwarves and elves. I get it they spent money and time creating this world. But every single turn you get EXPOSITION screamed in your ear.

Fuck you bioware, you make something that should be a simple pleasure a tedious lecture.

There is actually no proof that the fighting is what caused the Fade Breach. Also, dragons, everyone is missing the official website line about the dragons…
I'm going to go with the old gods returning theory since Morrigin is back. Or maybe the end of the old age and in with the new as they say.:)

And still no word on whether this will actually try to be more of an RPG, reversing the trend of ME1->ME2->ME3 or DA:O->DA2. My bet is DAI is bringing more of the 'wider audience' design philosophy (ie "streamlining" RPG elements out), and the marketing machine will be on overdrive to obfuscate that fact for as long as possible, a la ME3 ("look MORE RPG elements because you can customize your gun!").

There is actually no proof that the fighting is what caused the Fade Breach. Also, dragons, everyone is missing the official website line about the dragons…

Does anyone really care? It's already painfully obvious what's going to happen in DA3.

On a side note: The link to the original article appears to be broken.

Does anyone really care? It's already painfully obvious what's going to happen in DA3.

Well, if it is painfully obvious, you'll have to explain me why all the journalists writing previews about DAI believe that the Mage/Templar war is the main plot of the game, when it's not.

Well, if it is painfully obvious, you'll have to explain me why all the journalists writing previews about DAI believe that the Mage/Templar war is the main plot of the game, when it's not.

You play the god-baby conceived in DAO, which means, like it or not, you will have powers of some kind which puts you perhaps on both sides of the Mage/Templar conflict. You spend the game choosing which side to support, but after about 40 hours of choices, the game comes together the exact same way as if you went the complete opposite direction and you're forced to join your mother (Morrigan) to kill grandma (good) or side with her to send the land into eternal darkness (evil).

And you'll have a dog.

Duh?

Maybe because Bioware has placed much of the focus on that aspect so far?

Regardless, it will no doubt be the job of the PC to stop the war between the Mages and Templars (or choose to side with one or the other) and then rally the different "factions" of Thedas (which of course will include completing various quests in order to gain their allegiances) for the final battle with the dragons, etc.

It's Bioware…

Maybe because Bioware has placed much of the focus on that aspect so far?

Regardless, it will no doubt be the job of the PC to stop the war between the Mages and Templars (or choose to side with one or the other) and then rally the different "factions" of Thedas (which of course will include completing various quests in order to gain their allegiances) for the final battle with the dragons, etc.

It's Bioware…

How did they put much focus on it? The official statements about the game don't even mention the Mage/Templar war beside the official website one liner that is between dragons and nations at wars. The trailer doesn't have a single Circle Mage or Templar in it. BioWare focus, so far, has been on the Inquisitor investigating the Fade breach and hunting down agent of chaos.

As for the story, everything I've seen point toward an "detective fighting a secret criminal organization" story and not a "gather your army to fight the evil army" one.

Back
Top Bottom