suspicious request from Messenger Team

Remus

Antihero
I received a request from Windows Live(TM) Messenger Service Staff, through the messenger service saying:

Important service announcement: As part of a recent system enhancement, we need you to change your e-mail address to continue signing in to the Windows Live(TM) Messenger Service.

To ensure that your access is not blocked and to learn more, go to ttp://support.microsoft.com/gp/Messenger/en

I am suspicious to the link (probably bogus/trap) and it's very rare for asking people to change their email (which automatically requires to type in password).

Or i'm just paranoid? Anyone else recently received the same message in Windows Lives Messenger?

Was apparently sent out accidentally.

From [LINK]:
Windows Live team blog said:
We sincerely apologize, but this was accidentally sent out. If you received this notification today, please ignore it. You will be able to continue to use your current e-mail address, and there is no reason to make any changes.

If you have already clicked the link, there is no harm to you. You should have been told that your “Windows Live ID can’t be changed at this time” because there is no need for the change.

These service notifications are only used for urgent issues but unfortunately, somebody made a mistake that caused this message to be sent out. We will definitely be reviewing our process to make sure we avoid such mistakes in the future.

I get these ALL the time; they are bogus.

as the saying goes: if it's too good to be true then it's probably scam. :)

Always check URL's in fishy mails.

http://www.microsoft.com

The above link is an example of a fake link that is often used by scammers. Depending on what browser/e-mail viewer you use, you can hover above the link to see where it goes, or you can rightclick it, copy link adress and paste it into another window.
Note that some scammers have links with small changes that can be overlooked, such as microsoft.com.com or microsft.com.

However, if the address is genuine, like an actual link to microsoft.com, the mail is probably genuine, or like in the above example, sent as a mistake rather than a scam.

General rule of thumb: if someone asks you to go to some site, type it's homepage in manually (rather than clicking directly) and navigate to the appropriate page on your own (if it's really that important, it should be easy to find). Anything else is inviting a scam. ;)

Was apparently sent out accidentally.

From [LINK]:

:DThanks for that information.

And yes the original link is click-able, i deliberately dropped the "h" in front the ttp:\\ to avoid anyone here clicking the link and get virus or worse from the link, unless someone insisting by cut and paste it into address bar and put the "h" back in...

And yes the original link is click-able, i deliberately dropped the "h" in front the ttp:\\ to avoid anyone here clicking the link and get virus or worse from the link, unless someone insisting by cut and paste it into address bar and put the "h" back in...

Nice idea ... :)

Back
Top Bottom