Gothic 4 - JoWood working on Gothic 4

Garrett

Watchdog
With all the turmoil about the G3 patch and today's news about the divorce of PG & JoWood, JoWood has just announced, that they are working on Gothic 4:
JoWooD Productions arbeitet an Gothic 4
Liezen, Österreich, 22. Mai 2007; JoWooD Productions befindet sich bereits seit mehreren Wochen in positiven Gesprächen mit potenziellen Entwicklerstudios für Gothic 4 auf PC und Konsole. Bei der Auswahl des Entwicklers wird insbesondere auf sehr hohen Qualitätsstandard sowie eine abschließend fehlerfreie Programmierung des Spieles fokussiert. Mit der Veröffentlichung des vierten Teils des erfolgreichen Rollenspiels auf Current Gen Konsolen verfolgt JoWooD zielstrebig die neue Unternehmensstrategie in Richtung Konsolenmarkt.
Die Gespräche mit dem bisherigen Entwickler Pluto 13 führten zu keinem akzeptablen Ergebnis, weshalb die Zusammenarbeit beendet wurde.
Which roughly translates to:
JoWooD Productions has talked to possible developing studios for Gothic 4 on PC & conloses for many weeks now. The focus on picking a developing studio is high quality standard and bugfree coding...JoWood ist focussing on the console market...
First of all, it's interesting, JoWood has talked to other studios than PB also for many weeks and then, they are blaming PB for the bugfeast G3 indirectly. The war of the roses has begun ;-)
More information.

gothic 4 in development...new developing studio...for consoles...I think I gonna throw up :end:

Is it really necessary to have a dozen Gothic / patch / whatever threads?

In other words we're looking at Gothic 4 attempting to cash in on the Oblivion craze by being a dumbed-down easily digestible bore-fest that the kiddies will lap up on their consoles.

Gothic in name only then.

Ah well, here's looking forward to the true successor to the Gothic series that will be PB's next game. It won't be Gothic, but I bet it will have all the values we love about it.

gothic 4 in development...new developing studio...for consoles...I think I gonna throw up :end:

PB (one of the head honchos... Mike Hoge, I believe) actually said in an interview just a week or two ago (funny, eh?) that they were investigating plans/feasibility to bring Gothic or any new project to consoles. Heck, Gothic I was originally developed as a console game. You may throw up about the different development studio part as much as you want, of course, but Gothic going consoles was going to happen with or without PB anyways so don't spill all of your guts just yet, mkay? :biggrin:

damn I feel like an earthquake happend:
pb and jowood divorced
anouncement of G4, not made by PB
I wonder if G4 will have the gothic feeling or if it will be the name gothic and nothing more.
Also interested in the next PB game, they have a special kind of feeling in all their games

they have a special kind of feeling in all their games

You mean they have made other games than Gothics?

Because if no then maybe it was only the charm of the series.

PB (one of the head honchos... Mike Hoge, I believe) actually said in an interview just a week or two ago (funny, eh?) that they were investigating plans/feasibility to bring Gothic or any new project to consoles. Heck, Gothic I was originally developed as a console game. You may throw up about the different development studio part as much as you want, of course, but Gothic going consoles was going to happen with or without PB anyways so don't spill all of your guts just yet, mkay? :biggrin:
That was Björn Pankratz (sp?).

PB´s MD Michael Rüve posted on WoG a few minutes ago that PB / Pluto 13 indeed owns the Gothic brand, but JoWooD also has certain rights concerning the brand which might allow them to make Gothic 4.
He also said that PB didn´t make money with G3. More the opposite.

I suspect this will go to court. PB has to protect their brand.

Funny thing though is that I would have guessed that the
very negative reviews G3 got would have damaged the series
enough to warrant Jowood simply dropping them...

Also the latest "drama" will very possibly alienate the remaining
Fanbase...

What is Jowood hopping to gain by propagating the Gothic Franchise ?
Why not start a new IP ?

I know that G3 did acceptably, sales wise but does that necessarily
mean that it gained new fans ? add to that the possible failure of JW
to continue support of G3...

And all that while opening to a new Market with an IP with limited recognition
only in the PC platform... Doesnt make much sense does it ?

PC & conloses? Oh no! I hate conloses!

Ah well, end of yet another franchise :salute:

You showed some promise and died too young, Gothic

PS: you guys *are* missing the new concept art in the news, tho'

Multi-platform always suffers from the least common denominator - dedicated conversions are always the better solution for both platforms - even though the original development platform will always profit the most. That's plain common sense, and I have yet to be proven wrong. So, even if PB had done the game, if it went multi-platform, pc gamers WILL lose (even more since pc will most likely not be the main platform), and thus this is definitely a sad day/development for friends of the series.

Oh, and Moriendor, is that just an assumption about the original consoleness of Gothic I or is this an actual fact? Linkie?

@karn - my thought exactly

Oh, and Moriendor, is that just an assumption about the original consoleness of Gothic I or is this an actual fact? Linkie?

It's fact. There is a transcript (it was an audio interview originally) of that interview that was published on consol.at with Björn Pankratz on WoG right here (very recent, too... published on or around April 23, 2007)...

Translation:
consol.AT: Still, looking at the entire Gothic series, it's hard to ignore that there was something planned in the ways of consoles, right? Contrary to other PC-role-playing games it looks a lot more like a console game.
Björn: That is correct. The roots are going back to Gothic I and you can already see this just by looking at the interface. Gothic I was a pure keyboard game. The interface was aimed at the keyboard and that's why a lot of people complained about not being able to use the mouse for clicking stuff in the inventory which did not work because we simply did not make it that way. The game was conceptually aimed at use with a gamepad but in the end it didn't make it to the consoles due to the same issues as the ones that we had with Gothic III which is that it was simply too huge.

The G1 console plans are fact. Björn said it in a podcast after the Austrian Game Awards a few weeks ago.
It was no secret though. Did you never wonder why more or less everybody who tried it says G1 - G2 Gold works best with a gamepad?

Well they better sell on consoles next because after this backstabbing pc gamers
will surely not buy another gothic again. Release an unfinised game and then ask
the customers to buy another game without ever fixing the 1st one. Reasons be whatever its a disgustingly nasty naive way to "serve" your customers.

The G1 console plans are fact.
From the first moment I saw it, Gothic reminded me of the 1983 videogame, Dragon's Lair. For instance, you go up and down ladders the exact same way.

What if they picked Bethesda Softworks as the new developer? :D

Who wants to put his foot into that big stinkin boot :D Come on JW, quit doing those third grader stuff...move on.

This doesn't make any sense at all. I'm a die-hard Gothic fan but let's face it... the Gothic franchise is a sinking ship. Why would JW polish the brass of a sinking ship?

But seriously, if another studio took over the series and made a 4th game, what studio would you want it to be???

Back
Top Bottom