Final Fantasy XIII - Released on Steam

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Final Fantasy XIII is now available on Steam, and I must caution new buyers the game will need about 60 GB of space once installed due to all the cut-scenes.

FINAL FANTASY XIII NOW AVAILABLE ON WINDOWS PC

LOS ANGELES (Oct. 9, 2014) – SQUARE ENIX® today announced FINAL FANTASY® XIII is available for Windows PC today. The game is available through the Square Enix Online Store and Steam.

FINAL FANTASY XIII is the first Windows PC release in the FINAL FANTASY XIII trilogy of games, with subsequent adventures in the trilogy coming to the platform by Spring 2015. The Windows PC launch includes a number of new features such as full screen mode, 60 frames per second (FPS) support from launch and Japanese Voice support with subtitles. The trilogy will also offer a set of Steam Trading Cards for players to collect and exchange.

FINAL FANTASY XIII expands on the rich traditions of the series, with Producer Yoshinori Kitase, Director Motomu Toriyama, Character Designer Tetsuya Nomura and Art Director Isamu Kamikokuryo combining their creativity to deliver a beautiful FINAL FANTASY universe. Additionally, Composer Masashi Hamauzu presents a sweeping soundtrack while Movie Director Takeshi Nozue and his team of artists adorn the game with seamless cinematic sequences.

The FINAL FANTASY XIII trilogy began in March 2010 with the release of the original FINAL FANTASY XIII and continued with its sequel, FINAL FANTASY XIII-2, released in February 2012. The most recent release in the FINAL FANTASY XIII series, LIGHTNING RETURNS™: FINAL FANTASY XIII®, launched on February 11, 2014. The series has been widely successful, shipping over 11 million units worldwide.
More information.

Last edited:
60 GB of space plus a mod if you want the graphics higher than 720p.

Indeed, it's time to get rid of horribly compressed Bink cutscenes at low resolutions.

I've read that the resolution is limited with this port?

Also, this fall's the time to get a 1 TB SSD that's on sale, that's a worthwhile investment that will remain useful for a long while.

Nah. Soon all cutscenes will stream on demand (from Netflix) ;)

The 720p is disappointing but not surprising. Square Enix has a terrible track record of dropping ports without optimizing them (or changing them in any way) from the original release. I still can't believe that with Final Fantasy III and IV, they couldn't be bothered to change the interface so that they didn't reflect the touchscreen of the iOS/Android. Both Squaresoft and Enix used to be synonymous with quality for me, but man how the mighty have fallen lately.

For me the 60GB is the bigger problem. That's a lot of hard drive real estate for one game, if if I wanted to get the other two next spring, I fear that we'd be talking almost 200 GB just for three games.

I do love the series, a lot of nostalgia there for me. Didn't love XIII, got bored with it fast when playing on the 360, but was going to give it another try. I suppose I can only hope that modders find a way to fix some of the game's issues, since it's clear Square Enix will not.

I heard the port is worse than the Dark Souls 1 port.

That can't be, it was so horrible I flat out refused to play it.

I don't understand why this takes almost 20 GB more space then the PS3 version does and this version is limited to 720p.

Well with help from a friend who makes rips & repacks I was able to take out the Japaneses language, and make the videos smaller so the game only takes 20 GB's.

It took me all day to resize the videos, but I'm glad as all three of my hard drives are almost all full. These new releases are getting a little to big for my storage.

I just also finished downloading RYSE : Son of Rome off Steam, and that game takes 30GB. Next week Bethesda's The Evil Within will take another 60Gb.:roll:

Not very lazy Couch. You're gong to have to change your name and byline. ;)
I should change it to The Tired Potato as thats how I feel lately, but I can't find a good avatar for the name anywhere online. I still prefer the Angry Potato though.:)

A 1TB hard drive costs $60. So this game is using up roughly $3.60 of space. I can understand why folks with bandwidth limits might be unhappy but hard drive space?

They definitely should have done something to get those sizes down but they couldn't even be bothered to let us pick resolutions. It's a pretty blatant cash grab if you ask me.

A 1TB hard drive costs $60. So this game is using up roughly $3.60 of space. I can understand why folks with bandwidth limits might be unhappy but hard drive space?
I have three drives with over 9TB of space. I also don't like deleting, and having to download twice that to reinstall games. I also have TB's of music and other files.

So it's not hard to understand Mr Sloth. ;)

As for bandwidth yes that is a problem also as my ISP has a 250 GB Cap, and they like to call if you download very large files. They suck but it's the only option where I live.

Seriously I had a fun time explaining to a tech guy how four/five games on Steam can eat the cap quickly. They are a bunch of clueless idiots.:smartass:

Last edited:
You're talking about Comcast?

Personally I really don't care that much. I have many external hard drives where all the data that doesn't need to be installed lies.

You're talking about Comcast?.
Yes the Giant Cable monopoly that seems to be getting larger every year.:nod:
Personally I really don't care that much. I have many external hard drives where all the data that doesn't need to be installed lies
I have two of those also but eventually the power adapter, of something else always goes out. Good thing the hard drive still works at least.

I also don't have the cash to spare for updates right now.:)

You've got it lucky my friend, in Canada people get usually a whopping 60GB of data when subscribing to the incumbent telephone or cable ISP.

My mother wanted to subscribe to Netflix but I told her her ISP would bill her crazy charges.

The difference is that like in most parts of the world, the government forces the incumbent to lease their network to other companies to generate competition. Those are cheaper and usually offer unlimited bandwith.

However most people are not aware of them or don't want to break their TV/telephone/Internet combo.

I pay $46 a month for unlimited 15 mbps cable Internet where I live, and that's the absolute best price around.

Back
Top Bottom