Mass Effect PC

I was going to be home for about a week after an operation and my wife wanted to surprise me with a game. She got me Mass Effect hearing it was the greatest rpg ever, knowing I like rpgs, but not knowing I like actual crpgs..

Women eh? Count yourself lucky, my girlfriend bought me Hellgate.

Hey, roqua - long time, no see. Hope the operation went well and your health is OK.

As usual, you're far too bitter for me but I broadly agree with some of your Mass Effect points.

It went well. I have to wear a diaper for a while.

Well, I'm glad they didn't make it 700 billion times harder, as the standard difficulty had me endlessly reloading until I became indestructable (somewhere around level 23 or so).

Everyone is going to think you have a learning disability if you say things like this. And it takes about 6 minutes to make level 23. You couldn't have had to reload very many times.

Women eh? Count yourself lucky, my girlfriend bought me Hellgate.

I can't complain. I usually buy her sex-related gifts that are as much for me as her. But the day I actually buy her something for her and her alone she will be very suprised and excited. Maybe excited enough to try the other presents I bought her throughout the years.

Everyone is going to think you have a learning disability if you say things like this. And it takes about 6 minutes to make level 23. You couldn't have had to reload very many times.

More like 12 hours 6 minutes.

As for the reloads, the worst was around 30 during the approach to the mine Lianna was in (the big fight outside the door). 20 to 40 reloads on the battle against the lizard guy to free her. That was my first mission and I hit it around level 8 or so, so most of the Geth could one shot my Vanguard, and the lizard merc could one shot my party. Only finally won because the lizard glitched and got stuck in the floor so I could blow his head off with a pistol (think I was still using the second pistol from the tutorial). My solider had a much easier time of it. In fact, they had a much easier time with the game period. I blame the crap magic system.

Just started playing (m)ass effect pc for the first time.

Don't really like it.

Hate the messy, muddled combat system (and therefore, combat itself).
Absolutely loathe the character/talent system.
The silly men-in-funny-costum... I mean "aliens" make me want to breakdown and cry.
The NPCs are pretty uninteresting to me.
Oh, and there's nothing like 3rd person camera to piss me off.

Still, there's something about the plot and the settings that keeps you going.

Worth buying? No way.

Worth downl... ehm.. "trying" ? Maybe.

More like 12 hours 6 minutes.

As for the reloads, the worst was around 30 during the approach to the mine Lianna was in (the big fight outside the door). 20 to 40 reloads on the battle against the lizard guy to free her. That was my first mission and I hit it around level 8 or so, so most of the Geth could one shot my Vanguard, and the lizard merc could one shot my party. Only finally won because the lizard glitched and got stuck in the floor so I could blow his head off with a pistol (think I was still using the second pistol from the tutorial). My solider had a much easier time of it. In fact, they had a much easier time with the game period. I blame the crap magic system.

Yup, there are a few fights in there that make me scream "unfair" -- especially since everything else is so easy. That's one of them. The other one was on the same mission, done the same way: you're cautiously sneaking along towards an enemy base, the game engine cuts to non-interactive mode where you're stupidly waltzing straight into it (with completely different weapons), and then cuts back to the action with you face to face with a Geth Juggernaut. Bloody stupid.

I'm finally about to start a serious game of ME, with the intent of playing all the way through this time, but I'm torn on a final decision for my character.

So far I've played a Soldier, an Adept, an Infiltrator, and a Vanguard, for about 4-5 hours each. I enjoyed the Infiltrator and Vanguard classes the most, but I'm having a hard time making a final decision between the two.

Hate the messy, muddled combat system (and therefore, combat itself).
Absolutely loathe the character/talent system.
The silly men-in-funny-costum... I mean "aliens" make me want to breakdown and cry.
The NPCs are pretty uninteresting to me.
Oh, and there's nothing like 3rd person camera to piss me off.

All of your points are subject to opinion, but I'm really surprised to hear such criticism of the creature\alien design. It's one of the few areas where most people think ME is excellent.

Worth buying? No way.

Worth downl... ehm.. "trying" ? Maybe.

Couldn't disagree more, especially with the warez reference. It has no place here. :mad:

I personally think the aliens are pretty solid in Mass Effect - they all seem to have their own agenda, and views the human race as the "strange newcomer". I like this touch, instead of everything being completely dominated by humans.

Also, the magic system isn't weak - far from it. With barrier, the anti gravity thing, and being able to push people around, you'll be able to control the fights in ways you simply can't if you only use guns. The advantage of having a very skilled main character (with lots of variety), is that you can bring along only muscle from the NPCs, and they're far better at that than being delicate about anything (Wrex and Ashley Williams, for example). Give them sniper's rifles or shotguns, and watch them tear enemies apart as you simply walk around and crowd control stuff. It's actually a lot of fun. Nothing like watching Wrex go nuts with a shotgun (esp. the special Spectre shotgun).

All of your points are subject to opinion, but I'm really surprised to hear such criticism of the creature\alien design. It's one of the few areas where most people think ME is excellent.

I liked the way the aliens looked well enough, but I didn't much care for how they behaved -- they *were* your standard space-opera clichés (i.e., various Anglo-Americans in funny hats).

That said, few space operas manage to make their aliens any more interesting, so I'm not sure if this is an entirely fair criticism. Sexy blue aliens chicks with tentacles for hair are sort of de rigueur, ever since George Lucas came up with Twi'leks anyway.

I liked the way the aliens looked well enough, but I didn't much care for how they behaved -- they *were* your standard space-opera clichés (i.e., various Anglo-Americans in funny hats).

Exactly. Any self-respecting modeler/designer/artist can come up with strange looking creatures... but to have them actually act and feel like aliens instead of just men with superior gadgets and silly hats.

That said, few space operas manage to make their aliens any more interesting, so I'm not sure if this is an entirely fair criticism. Sexy blue aliens chicks with tentacles for hair are sort of de rigueur, ever since George Lucas came up with Twi'leks anyway.

Yeah well... I might have been reading too much Alastair Reynolds lately, Sci-fi that's actually original and where aliens are just that - alien. Never cared for starwars. It's those blue "ladies" I find especially annoying.

And I did not mean to promote piracy, sorry 'bout that. I always buy my games and I believe that game developers should get paid for their work - No, really, I do. I spend a lot on games. I just tried to express how much I value *this* particular game.

Wait 'til you get near the end. The last quarter of the game is pretty good.

Vanguard is the best overall class in my opinion. I'd focus on using the following skills:
- Shotgun or Assault Rifles
- Lift
- Throw
- Barrier

A combination of those skills will not only make you quite a killer, it also gives you decent crowd control, letting the two NPCs you bring along become more useful (let's face it, they're not born snipers, but when some target is floating in the air, they shoot the target dead in no time).

As for what to choose at which levels, that's up to you - basically, you can get spread the points out and become a jack of all trades, without losing a whole lot.

Sentinel is perfect if you are a strategist who like complete control over the situation. The diversity makes up for not having the stronger powers.

The thing with Sentinels is that they really have no disadvantages and a strategy that works in every situation. Pistols are overpowered if you have some FPS skills. They have good attacks against everything, the ability to disable guns, disable armor, disabling people through throw or poison, bonus shield, barrier, first aid, plus you can unlock/disable all locks and stuff that get's in your way.

@JDR13
You can get all skills on all characters. At character creation, you get to choose one extra skill, regardless of class. The skills available are those you have "unlocked" in previous playthroughs. Here's how it works:

Weapons:
150 kills with a specific weapon type will unlock it. This does not have to be with the same character.

Skills:
75 uses, regardless of character.

So yes, it's possible to get a Vanguard with Assault Rifles, or Soldiers with Barrier. Slightly unbalanced, but fun nevertheless.

I believe it was EverythingXen that explained the system some time ago.

None of that does me any good if it requires you to finish the entire game first. I don't intend to play through ME multiple times...

Like I said, you only need to kill 150 with weapon type X, or use a skill 75 times. As soon as the counter finishes, the skills are available to all new characters. There's no need to finish the game - you can kill 10 creatures, reload, kill them again - repeat - untill you have 150 kills.

At any rate, there's no real need to do this. With a Vanguard, both pistols and shotguns will suffice, and if I recall correctly they start out with pistol, and can get shotgun after 6 ranks in pistol.

Back
Top Bottom