Obsidian's new 2D RPG?

I'd love to see another Planescape or Icewind Dale game, but I'm not holding my breath. I just don't see it happening.

I'm curious to see how they price this title though, assuming it gets done. Could they charge full price for a 2D game in this market?

I'd love to see another Planescape or Icewind Dale game, but I'm not holding my breath. I just don't see it happening.

I'm curious to see how they price this title though, assuming it gets done. Could they charge full price for a 2D game in this market?

I can think of only one company that has managed to get away with charging full price for games with very dated graphics these days, and that is Matrix games, but they are releasing very niche games, and have a devout group of fans.
In a world where people expect CRPGs to look like Dragon Age, Drakensang, The witcher or Dungeon siege 3, it would be hard for Obsidian to get away with charging full price for a brand new 2d game on anything but a handheld console.

I would love to see another IWD or Torment.. or.. maybe they can balance out amount of combat tactic and dialogue/story to make next BG2 like game... ok, now I'm hoping for too much.

Ultima ?

I'm wondering.

It could be a Ultima related project. I remember reading in a Feargus Urquhart interview (I can't remember when or where) about how an Ultima project would be excited him and his team. It can be. Obsidian is an indepentant studio and they have developed different titles for different publishers. Also they have close contacts with Bioware, the RPG division of EA.

Do we really need another crappy Ultima project? The last two single player games in the series were crap, it had an MMO which was basically Ultima only in the names of the locations in the game, it has a crappy browser rts that's Ultima in name only, it almost had a crappy pseudo JRPG portable reboot and it had two other MMO projects cancelled.

Unless someone is doing Ultima 7 Part 3 I just don't care anymore.

Back
Top Bottom