Unsacred - A New Sacred ARPG

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Thanks to Avantenor for sending the the following news, and I'm sure many of you will be excited. It seems former Sacred devlopers from Ascaron are making a new ARPG.

The game is called Unsacred and the developers are raising money on Papal, and the games website. Unfortunately that is all the information I have has all the news sites with information are in German.

Welcome to unsacred (working title).

We are pleased that you, from wherever you come from, you have found us. We are the ones who eventually made SACRED. Those who have registered significantly our concerns to SACRED 2 and did not want to hear - or could. That is past. Not always glorious, not always honorable. But the vision is never died. And in the years that have passed since then, we have a never lost sight of: a common idea. We call unsacred (working title) and it will be the game that we want to make and will make. For this we need your help. Live the dream with us, help us to let him become a reality. It may be that many of the sounds that we tell you about here, for one or the other almost fantastic. But to be honest: When we have taken SACRED attack, the voices sounded very similar. Prepare yourself your own to figure it out and come back. You will find at this point constant updates.

The Team

At this point, imagine our team members in the course of our project and tell you a little of what their responsibilities are in unsacred (working title). Our current development team is a mix of "old warriors" and new faces, which are connected by a common goal. Friends, companions, faithful fans of the first hour. We cover the entire development history of SACRED rich and thereby to the early beginnings of ARMALION, the game (the older ones among you will remember), from which then eventually became SACRED. From this age eg Franz Stradal, Marc Oberhäuser, Ralph Roder and Norbert Becker is one of the party. Peter Hann, whose graphics capabilities many of you are still likely to know from Sacred 2, is also included with. As consultants, we are old SACRED greats like Michael Bhatty to the side that will ensure that our new universe which is what you want as a player and fans and what we dream of for years. Everything will be fine!
So if anyone here is fluent in German, and can translate better than Goggle. It would help us all allot. I hope the game will at least be better than the new Sacred III.

More information.

Also guys this not an April fools joke as the website was registered in 2010 by Franz Stradal formerly of Ascaron. The game has also been featured on many German sites.

http://translate.googleusercontent....kler-u&usg=ALkJrhg1O0NxMhthtIBu6bz7n3xKAfW6nQ

Also known as… 'mundane'. :)
Yes it does.;)

So I guess you hate the Sacred games. I know opinions vary among all of us on this site.

It was Sacred two that was the onion in the ointment.

Never bought Sacred 1 nor 2 and today I can't remember why… Were those perhaps coop/MMO games? Dunno…

Anyway, ARPG, at least the type of games called ARPG, is something I like less than phonegames. Usually there is no actual story to follow or instead of a big story you can describe the whole game with one cause sentence. Like "because <insert cliche>, you need to kill enormous amount of mobs".
Sure, you get to improve skills and attributes via XP, yes there is a huge pile of different loot everywhere, but is it really (anything)RPG? Honestly, it looks more like Candy Crush Saga where you have to remove an endless amount of incoming objects and sometimes you get goodies. The difference is only that ARPG has better graphics than CCS phonegame/facebookgame.

On the other hand, and it doesn't matter I'm on the replay of it right now, there is a trilogy that went more action than RPG but with huge story behind and with no grinding. ME (2 and somewhat 3 to be precise). Now that's something I could call ARPG. It's not clean shooter, it's not clean RPG, it's a mix of action and roleplay. And we don't call that style ARPG? Why not? Why are we calling the completely different design ARPG? I'm honestly not sure.

So is Sacred 3 a Diablo clone grinder ARPG or is ME2 clone storybased nongrinder ARPG?
If it's Diablo clone, sorry, but no donating with PayPal and no buying from me.

I like Sacred 1 much more than 2. Second game was ridiculous in terms of level scaling and monster respawning. I can support them, if they give information about these in their new game. Also Armalion was seemed the kind of game I want to play rather than Sacred. If only they could made a game like that.

My only problem with Sacred was the excessive respawning, you leave an area and return 5 minutes later and the monsters are already back...

Here's a translation of the gameworld and gameplay sections. May sound a bit weird, just because I don't write English texts like this very often and because the German text imho partly sounds weird as well. ;)

The gameworld
There's a story that has never been told. Actually it's a prologue of another story. But we can't mention this one in good conscience at this place, and that has various reasons: It has reasons why things develop as they develop and if you are particular about that, the whole history of civilazation principally isn't more than a trail of blood. Afterwards we'll always ask ourselves why in the end a paradise finally transforms into a bizarre pit of hell. UNSACRED (working title) tells this story.

From the very start of UNSACRED (working title) you'll find a… well… let's call it postcard idyll. A wonderfully ordered world, where neighbours harmonically coexist and love, peace and harmony represent general values. An then? Then the Drift arrives. Why? Because rational creatures will always tend to want to know more and therewith gain power. In our case you'll experience effects that are logically consistent just arround the corner when magic is whielded uncontrolled and in blind faith. The flood won't arrive… the Drift will arrive! And the Drift will change things. Change them lastingly. Change them permanently. Imagine you rip this awfully cheesy postcard into a thousand pieces. And someone else puts it back together for you. Roughly and with a lot of tape. THIS is the world how it's going to be after the Drift! This world will develop in UNSACRED (working title) just before your eyes. Und this world needs heroes - desperately. We hope you'll be there!

In the future we'll inform you more about the world of UNSACRED (working title) here. Check back soon!

The gameplay
UNSACRED (working title) will be what it has to be - a classic ARPG having all that this genre really needs. Including a profound, character-based skill system that covers not only weapon and fighting techniques, but that affects various basic skills of your character. You'll learn, develop, improve, gain power and in the end - under the influence of the Drift and your own experience - evolve into something that you wouldn't have assumed in the beginning. You'll learn special moves, forget about them again and in the end have skills to shudder continents. You'll experience a classic ARPG as it is meant to be felt. Challenging, full of action, perfectly controllable and being subject to continous development. And before you may intervene in the fate of a whole world as a potential crucial factor, you first should take charge of your own issues and prove yourself in a personal campaign.

Armalion was the game that a lot of people wanted to play-too bad it didn't get published. Anyways, there is a very large Sacred community who will be very pleased that a true sequel may be on the way.
There may be huge numbers of mobs to kill in the Sacred games but the first two also meant in terms of gameplay, a free roaming world with great customization of your character rather then a straight thru on rails game that I have seen sadly, way to often lately. Like Divine Divinity, Sacred games had a unique flavor of their own.

I hope they pull this off because Sacred 3 looks like it will ruin the franchise

For me both Sacred games contained moments of brilliance mixed with what I consider phenomenal gameplay flaws. The result was me loving the start of both games, never finishing Sacred 1, and finishing Sacred 2 but disliking the game ever more as I progressed. I think, though, both versions had some of the most original character types in the fantasy hack & slay genre.

Never bought Sacred 1 nor 2 and today I can't remember why… Were those perhaps coop/MMO games? Dunno…

Anyway, ARPG, at least the type of games called ARPG, is something I like less than phonegames. Usually there is no actual story to follow or instead of a big story you can describe the whole game with one cause sentence. Like "because <insert cliche>, you need to kill enormous amount of mobs".
Sure, you get to improve skills and attributes via XP, yes there is a huge pile of different loot everywhere, but is it really (anything)RPG? Honestly, it looks more like Candy Crush Saga where you have to remove an endless amount of incoming objects and sometimes you get goodies. The difference is only that ARPG has better graphics than CCS phonegame/facebookgame.

On the other hand, and it doesn't matter I'm on the replay of it right now, there is a trilogy that went more action than RPG but with huge story behind and with no grinding. ME (2 and somewhat 3 to be precise). Now that's something I could call ARPG. It's not clean shooter, it's not clean RPG, it's a mix of action and roleplay. And we don't call that style ARPG? Why not? Why are we calling the completely different design ARPG? I'm honestly not sure.

So is Sacred 3 a Diablo clone grinder ARPG or is ME2 clone storybased nongrinder ARPG?
If it's Diablo clone, sorry, but no donating with PayPal and no buying from me.
I must say, you wrote so much while you know absolutely nothing about Sacred? Why would you? Anyway, it is ARPG, and that means, yes, something like Diablo. It is about combat, the story does not really exist. The original was popular as it had a huge world crafted with a lot of attention to detail and things like horse-riding which were very fresh at that time.

I must say, you wrote so much while you know absolutely nothing about Sacred? Why would you?
Imagine that. There are ppl out there with imagination and not scared to write (and read movie/game subtitles if that matters).

Please try to understand that this is not a big&evil publisher forum where you get banned for "blasphemic" thoughts. You like something, okay. You don't like it? That's still okay. ;)
I don't like Diablo and the cloning of it's core design. On the other hand I do like another approach to action in RPGs (no endless respawning, a huge story and yet plenty of mobs to kill and things/cash to loot). All I said is depending which route of action in RPG Sacred 3 will take I'll buy or not buy it. Are you absolutely sure they will go in Diablo direction? :)

The Mass Effect games are not remotely AARPG.
From what I remember you can even pause during combat. They are RPG's throughout.
Sacred 1 did have a story that wasn't bad and well written quests for a AARPG. Choices that mattered and a huge go any where world. Good multiplayer co-op and drop in multiplayer. I still have both of the Sacred games on the hard drive. Bothe games have mounts and Sacred 2 had unique to the class mounts like dragons and tigers.
Joxer I see you are still lurking so in Sacred 1 you could stop respawning by finishing the quests in each area. You would then get a message that the area as secure or something like that.

The Mass Effect games are not remotely AARPG.
From what I remember you can even pause during combat.
No, they're not what we call ARPG. Why not exactly? You tell me. I believe the reason is only Diablo came first.
Yes, you can pause during combat and "micromanage" some things. Me? I don't use the pause option in ME games combat anywhere (you need to bring up the pause screen to set skill hotkeys, but you do that on level up, not during the combat).

There are some enormous threads on what constitutes a CRPG here. Search is your friend. As far as your opinion on what constitutes an AARPG, I think there are a few more differences then just endless respawning. To me, an AARPG is extremely real-time with only a few choices during combat regarding strategy compared to CRPG's which can be either RTP or turn based. But, we are only talking combat and there are other difference such as many AARPG's are extremely loot driven.

Diablo 3 I see as a loot driven game while Sacred 1 for instance I still see in terms of story progression. Similar to how I viewed Divine Divinity

This is great news. I really enjoyed Sacred 2 playing couch co-op with my dad. We must have played for hundreds of hours and still barely scratched the surface (the game was enormous, hundreds of quests and a huge map, etc.). It was great fun.

Sacred 1 was cool but the respawning and level scaling killed that game for me. Sacred 2 had the same thing but for some reason it's easier to deal with in Sacred 2. In Sacred 1 it was really harsh and noticeable. Maybe because Sacred 1 was much harder overall and the scaled, respawned enemies often meant death for a low level character.

Back
Top Bottom