Colony Ship RPG - Dev Diary #6 - Factions

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Vault Dweller outlines the factions for his Colony Ship RPG in the latest development diary. Head to the link to read about the other factions: The Church of the Elect, Men of the Covenant, ECLSS.

A generation ship is a perfect ant-farm where different societies can coexist within a limited space, influencing and affecting each others' development while fighting for that limited space, which adds "the end justifies the means" pressure. Let's take a look at the various factions and groups:

Protectors of the Mission

The Protectors' one truth is the Mission, and the sole way to ensure successful completion of the Mission is to follow the Old Ways. The ways of the fathers, forefathers, and Founding Fathers are together the beam upon which the Ship travels to our ultimate destination. The mutiny, which through their steadfast and timely intervention was thankfully aborted, was the ultimate betrayal of the Old Ways, of everyone who had come before, the nullification of every sacrifice and every life dedicated to the Mission.

Sworn to regain control of the Ship, the Protectors will subjugate anyone who threatens the Mission. Over the last century they have managed to expand their enclave somewhat, but the Brotherhood is deeply entrenched. To overcome them with violence would result in a massive loss of life, an unfortunate consequence which itself would endanger the Mission.

The Protectors are governed by the Mission Control Council, which appoints the Mission Commander to implement their policies and decisions. Failure is regarded as a deviation from the Mission. As such, Commanders are twice as susceptible to death-by-misadventure as the average citizen.

The Brotherhood of Liberty

The Brotherhood was formed to liberate the people from the iron shackles of the Ship Authority. Though their first sally -which the fossils of the old world denigrate with the term "mutiny"- failed to completely achieve this aim, the Brotherhood was successful in establishing themselves as a power to be reckoned with. More importantly, their ideals of liberty and freedom are now discussed everywhere.

The Brotherhood's initially pure goal, to free the enslaved wherever they may be, has unfortunately been sullied by the practical concerns of democracy. If the Brotherhood had had access to the older histories they would have realized that democracies beget their own factions, factions which cannot be put down with violence for now they are within. The Executive Council was also forced to consider issues like the right to vote, and whether it should be granted freely to all, or earned through service to the state. The first generation earned their rights rebelling against the tyrants, whereas the youth of today have forgotten even the names of those heroes. Easily swayed by rhetoric and bribed with cheap comforts, these layabouts could hardly be less concerned with such abstractions as liberty and universal suffrage.

To bring freedom to the Ship entire must involve war, and no war may be won without sacrifice, nor may battles be managed by committee. The unwillingness to back high ideals with bloodshed is, as far as the Council is concerned, the reason for the recent losses against the Protectors. Yet any attempt to limit majority rule must be interpreted as a retreat from the ideals upon which the Brotherhood's very identity is based.

If every decision, even those which mean death to some of the Brotherhood's own citizens, must first be approved by a majority, how is it possible even to start?

More information.

The introduction tells it all: substitute the word generation ship by planet Earth and the text reads the same.

Planet Earth is a perfect ant-farm where different societies can coexist within a limited space, influencing and affecting each others' development while fighting for that limited space, which adds "the end justifies the means" pressure. Let's take a look at the various factions and groups

Followed by a list of factions strongly inspired by common history.

Basically, instead of making the most of the setting (that would require imagination), it is just a recycling of a commonly used setting, dressed differently.

A generic product refreshed in a not so fresh manner.

The introduction tells it all: substitute the word generation ship by planet Earth and the text reads the same.
The key difference is limited space mentioned twice in the description. The Soviet attempt to bridge the gap caused the Cuban missile crisis and almost caused a war. Imagine if the USSR were setting right next to the US border, North Korea-style.

Basically, instead of making the most of the setting (that would require imagination), it is just a recycling of a commonly used setting, dressed differently. A generic product refreshed in a not so fresh manner.
Care to name a few of those commonly used, generic games? 'cause I'm tired of killing monsters in fantasy games and wouldn't mind playing something different.

I like the tried and true fantasy rpg with magic, so I hope Vince tries his hand at it one day. I always skip games with political factions unless it is a minor part of the game only. Join the mage's guild? Sure. Join a cause? Nope. I prefer my own agenda.

I, for one, am looking forward to this different setting. And, yes, I do believe it is different.

Are there similarities between how people behave on Earth and how they'd behave in a colony ship? Yes, of course. I believe that would be the case. People are people, and they would act like people, like they always have, even in the microcosm of a colony ship. They would band together into groups, for whatever reason struck their fancy, and pick another group of people to hate and wage war against, for whatever reason struck their fancy. Why? Because they're people. That's what we scared, naked apes do.

Looking good.

The key difference is limited space mentioned twice in the description. The Soviet attempt to bridge the gap caused the Cuban missile crisis and almost caused a war. Imagine if the USSR were setting right next to the US border, North Korea-style.

The key difference is limited space. Mentioned twice. So first news, planet Earth is not limited space. That is so good news.

Care to name a few of those commonly used, generic games? 'cause I'm tired of killing monsters in fantasy games and wouldn't mind playing something different.

Is it about monsters? The article has an introduction and then goes on a list of factions.
Wont list the products that include similar factions. Would be better to find products that do not. In all cases, it wont be this colony ship product.

Again, it is not a new setting. It is a commonly used setting dressed differently.

Next: the dormitory RPG, the work place RPG, the plane RPG etc

Given the scenario, the initial technology level should be at least at the cyberpunk. So there's a lot of potential for enhancements, cyber-implants and genetic engineered life forms. Maybe caretaker robots and a master AI system? Resources would be constrained, so lots of recycling and GMO-based materials.

So, I am thinking that ChienAboyeur doesn't understand the word setting, which is: "the place or type of surroundings where something is positioned or where an event takes place." So all settings are "the same setting dressed differently" technically. Like a play takes place on a single stage, but it has different backdrops representing different settings. If you want different than normal predictable human behavior patterns, then you would have to not use humans.

Or simply doesn't like non-fantasy settings.

I just want to see Vince's attention to detail show up in a magic system as opposed to a CC system. One day, I hope.

I am quite curious about this game. If it uses Unreal Engine does it mean it'd be full 3d?

Back
Top Bottom