Mass Effect 3 - Miscellaneous Roundup

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Here's a handful of Mass Effect odds and sods.
Quarter To Three has a review of ME3 with a score of 4/5, despite a number of issues:
Character writing is still clumsy in Mass Effect 3. The subject at hand is the impending destruction of the galaxy, but almost every other moment is filled with relationships, moralizing, influencing people, simplistic sacrifices, and personal problems. Melodrama infests even the cool galactic conflict between races. That’s because Bioware writes young adult fiction. There’s a lot of finding one’s way, overcoming prejudice, struggling with relationships, and growing and learning. It’s good that games like this exist. But characters need to be real and believable first. None of the other stuff Bioware is trying to do will ever be effective until they meet that minimum. Bioware knows how to write good characters. The exceptions in Mass Effect merely show how weak most of the cast is. When I said my goodbyes to most of the crew, I realized how little I’d miss all the melodrama.
Rock, Paper, Shotgun finds the multiplayer surprisingly satisfying:
What I most get out of ME3 multiplayer though is what’s always been sadly absent from Mass Effect singleplayer – playing directly as one of the increasingly iconic alien races, rather than being locked into Shepard’s boots. Krogan, Turian, Salarian, Quarian, Drell, Asari – all humanoid and thus not that different from playing as one of the boggo humans, but they move differently, they have voices that evokes ME’s beloved cast and they have species-specific powers. Sure, there’s no roleplaying or destiny-questing, but I got a surprising kick out of discovering I’d unlocked a Krogan Soldier, then a Drell Vanguard and, my current favourite, a Quarian Infilitrator.
RPS also weighs in on the ending - heavy spoilers, so I haven't read it myself and can't quote.
There's a multiplayer event this weekend called Operation Goliath, by the way.
Finally, Kotaku reports that BioWare Montreal was developing a standalone shooter called Mass Effect Team Assault before it was rolled into ME3 (thanks crilloan!):
BioWare's Montreal studio was developing a competitive first-person shooter called Mass Effect Team Assault in 2010 before transforming that effort into the third-person multiplayer mode in Mass Effect 3, according to a new behind-the-scenes iPad app created by gaming journalist Geoff Keighley.
More information.

this game is junk man
speaking from a movie director's point of view
and considering this should be its forte, it's kinda depressing.

Sometimes I have the impression that smaller and less famous reviewing sites/magazines write exactly the opposite of what you read in Gamespot/IGN reviews; just for the sake of being "original" and "different".

That reminds me one person I knew who used to go regularly to art house cinemas , but not because he enjoyed independent movies - it was just to be able to say that his taste was superior and that he was "different".

I by no means believe that major reviewing sites are always objective or honest, but still, I find it amusing that whenever I see 9 out of 10 given to some game on IGN it pretty much guarantees negative reviews on a mirriad of smaller websites.

Sometimes I have the impression that smaller and less famous reviewing sites/magazines write exactly the opposite of what you read in Gamespot/IGN reviews; just for the sake of being "original" and "different".

That reminds me one person I knew who used to go regularly to art house cinemas , but not because he enjoyed independent movies - it was just to be able to say that his taste was superior and that he was "different".

I by no means believe that major reviewing sites are always objective or honest, but still, I find it amusing that whenever I see 9 out of 10 given to some game on IGN it pretty much guarantees negative reviews on a mirriad of smaller websites.

Well it balances out all the paid reviews from paid journalists afraid of losing there jobs due to one negative review. I prefer a smaller sites review from a person I trust who is a real gamer and not a paid employee or company getting ad money and free games.

I wont lie and say some sites use words and reviews for hits but the larger sites do the same.

Back
Top Bottom