So where is everyone from?

On a side note, my brother has always teased me about looking German as I am blonde haired and blue eyed (I guess I even looked German in stature or something as when I was in France in high school, I kept getting confused for being German. Probably the only time the French are nicer to you once you tell them you're an American!). Well, we took the train from the airport to Cologne, and after a bit of people watching, my wife turns and looks at me and says "My God, you look just like them!"

LOL ! :D

But I personally have the feeling that the more you travel north (Sweden ! - as far as the cliché ggoes), the more the people look like that way.
But that's only my personal, subjective perception.

San Diego, California. Actually the outskirts of east San Diego county. I'd love to live in the city proper but the high gas prices and higher rent are so punitive that I'd rather just visit occasionally and stay where I'm at.

But I personally have the feeling that the more you travel north (Sweden ! - as far as the cliché ggoes), the more the people look like that way.

Yeah, my family is actually Norwegian so this would not surprise me.

San Diego, California. Actually the outskirts of east San Diego county. I'd love to live in the city proper but the high gas prices and higher rent are so punitive that I'd rather just visit occasionally and stay where I'm at.

The gas is actually more expensive inside the city than just outside? O_O

Special city tax or something?

The gas is actually more expensive inside the city than just outside? O_O

Special city tax or something?

Actually very common - I think NYC was the first and most abusive, now *everyone* is doing it.

There are also federal issues where if you have too many excessive ozone days, they slap an extra tax on the pumps within the city. Dallas got hit with that a few times.

Here, they even forbid all of the car traffic if the ozone level is too high.

This is rare, though.

Born in a tiny city in the southern part of the province of Québec called :
Pointe Gatineau. Near the bigger but still small city of Hull.

At some point in my life, I lived in Germany, Lahr Schwartzwald (Black Forest).
I loved Europe and plan to live there at the end of my days or when life will lead me there.

Now I live in Montréal, Québec, Canada. Have done so for the past 6 years.

The reason why I lived in Germany was because mein papa was in the Canadian armed forces. Air division. He was a white collar.
I didn't learn german there. I wish I would've but at the school that I went they didn't teach it. So I only know very few words. Mostly bad ones. Obviously since they are, somehow, the easiest ones to learn or what I think is that they are the first ones that are taught.

And to those it concerns : Leave the political mumbo jumbo about Québec's sovereignity out of this thread. This is not the place and I am sure that, at one point, crap will come out of it!!

Last edited:
I was born in Honolulu, Hawaii, but grew up in Columbus, OH and have lived here ever since. It's a cruel joke by the Gods that it wasn't the other way around. Don't get me wrong, Columbus is a very nice place to live, but come on...

Yeah you definitely got screwed.......:-/

I'm from Franconia, unfortunatly politcal a part of Bavaria (the northern Part, we have neither Mountains nor Lederhosen^^). Somehow I'd love to see Sovereignity for us too, but why bother ? It doesen't matter if you are reigned by some self-serving Idiots in Munich or Berlin or Brussel or Nuremberg :)

Honest People don't do Politics...

I didn't learn german there. I wish I would've but at the school that I went they didn't teach it. So I only know very few words. Mostly bad ones. Obviously since they are, somehow, the easiest ones to learn or what I think is that they are the first ones that are taught.

Stick to margerette, she plans to learn it ! ;)

We're an international bunch. I count twelve North Americans, 14 Euros, three Canadians, one Aussie, one Kiwi, one split between the two, and one Palestinian.

Us Finns are way over-represented, too.

Why not?

Born in Merced, California. Raised mostly in Knoxville, Tennessee.

Lived, in order: Knoxville, Tulsa (OK), Knoxville, Atlanta, Knoxville, San Diego, Knoxville, boonies South Carolina, Denver, boonies South Carolina.

Incidentally South Carolina is hell. The power goes off here more than it did the few months I was in India 15 years ago. Why my family chooses to live here I will never understand (and I'm only here because they are).

I'm from south-western Sweden, and have spent most of my life outside the tiny town of Laholm (parents), in the summer town Halmstad (studies and work) or the city of Göteborg (studies). Currently I endure a year of exile on the rear side of the country, but I hope to move back to civilisation soon.

EDIT: Gothenburg and Halmstad are nice places to live, even if the second is a bit on the small side and fairly quiet during winter.

It really is like that. Flying Palma-Madrid-Copenhagen-Göteborg it felt like people got 10 cm taller and significantly paler by the transit... Being 1.89 I certainly have more of a viewing advantage the further south I go as well, which is great for concerts and the like.

Last edited:
We're an international bunch.

Isn't that great? I also like that we have many viewpoints, and while we all get a bit riled occasionally we are mature enough and enough of a community to bring it all back together.

Yeah it's really cool, but like I said, I constantly have to remind myself of it when posting!

BTW, who is the Palestinian? I missed that one.

POLYGON is our Palestinian contingent.

I really enjoy the international aspect of the board. It's frequently helped me understand things from a broader perspective. It's like vicariously traveling to all the places I will probably never see.

@Zaleukos: Goteburg is where my mother's family hails from--though I was told as a child not the city itself but the outlying country which at the turn of the century was farmland--probably suburbs by now. :)

@blatantninja: I relate to the taller and blonder comment--when I was in grade school we lived in a Jewish area in Chicago and my class pictures all show me looming in the back row like an infant female Viking. :)

@Zaleukos: Goteburg is where my mother's family hails from--though I was told as a child not the city itself but the outlying country which at the turn of the century was farmland--probably suburbs by now. :)

It's a small world:) I'm not all that familiar with the surrounding countryside though, as I lived very close to downtown and almost all my Göteborg friends are concentrated to one particular suburb (Västra Frölunda). Do you remember the name of her village or general area?:)

Originally from Ohio, I was raised in a Los Angeles suburb from the age of five. Twenty years later I moved south to Orange County where I eventually bought a home.

Ohio is represented pretty well here! That's not all that surprising to me. I bump into people from Ohio everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom