Thief 4 - First Screen?

I dont think so, with todays tech you probably have the option of FP or 3rd. From what i can barely see looks good.

It will definitely have third-person, that works best for stealth with a mainstream audience. It might have first-person too though... we shall see.

Apparently things like moving around, climbing, archery will be tpp while activating mechanisms and "stealth mode" will be fpp.

Third person. Way to completely miss the point of Thief. FFS can you imagine playing the Cradle or Return to the Cathedral in third person.

It will definitely have third-person, that works best for stealth with a mainstream audience. It might have first-person too though… we shall see.

Actually, I forgot this was being developed by Eidos Montreal, who is owned by Square Enix. So you might be right about that.

I expect it to be considerably streamlined, especially in terms of challenge, compared to the earlier games.

I wonder if Eidos still has any former devs from LGS/Ion Storm working for them.

Apparently things like moving around, climbing, archery will be tpp while activating mechanisms and "stealth mode" will be fpp.

.....:(

Actually, I forgot this was being developed by Eidos Montreal, who is owned by Square Enix. So you might be right about that.

I expect it to be considerably streamlined, especially in terms of challenge, compared to the earlier games.

I wonder if Eidos still has any former devs from LGS/Ion Storm working for them.

Well if previews are to be believed they seem to be letting the same studio make a real Deus Ex game, so there is reason to be optimistic. I just think having third-person as an option is a no-brainer, as it works best on consoles and allows people to see around corners which is essential in a stealth game for more casual players.

I don't even think I have played a stealth game since Velvet Assassin, which was average at best, so this game is sort of an "OMG WANT" even if it is third-person only and dumbed down, simply because it's such a rare genre now-a-days.

Is it just me or is this them trying to compete with Assassins creed? I doubt we will see much of the original Thief here.

Well, there are some parts of Thief I'll be happy to see vanish - like AI that's so dumb you can douse every torch in a room and the guards think nothing of it. I'll DEFINITELY be wanting the old archery back, though - mastering the bow to the point where I could hit a torch at 40 paces 90% of the time was awesome. I doubt it will live up to that, but I'm going to keep dreaming.

That said… what the Hades am I looking at? If that's 3rd person, what's that brown thing on his back? The scene looks more like the 1920's, too.

Is it just me or is this them trying to compete with Assassins creed? I doubt we will see much of the original Thief here.

As I recall, a number of ex-Ubisoft devs moved to Eidos Montreal. I don't think that's a bad thing - AC2 is a simply fantastic game. If they can mix the two and still respect Thief, that will be an achievement.

I just think having third-person as an option is a no-brainer, as it works best on consoles and allows people to see around corners which is essential in a stealth game for more casual players.

As an "option" yes. I'm just worried about the possibility that it might be forced on us.

As far as seeing around corners, that's what the "lean" keys were for in the original games. Although I realize 3rd-person would be easier for the casual/console crowd.

The scene looks more like the 1920's, too.

Yeah, I kind of thought the same thing when I saw those lamp posts. I hope it's not too much of a departure from the earlier games. The pseudo-steampunk setting was one of the coolest things about Thief 1-2 imo.

i guess its been a while since some folks have played the thief series as those lamp posts look no different than the metal ones in all the games. the brightness of either the screenshot or the monitor are messing with your heads.
you realize there's parts of england/etc that look the same today or the 20's as they did hundreds of years ago…the 20's usually conjures up 2 things: art deco and gotham but whatever.

calling the ai in thief a joke?
name a game that came out in the same vintage that had even remotely the same ai quality. unless you played the game without sound which misses the whole point of the series, the ai not only commented on the torches going out they would sometimes re-light them. also they would go after sounds as well.

most games still in my view have ai that is SUBPAR to the thief games.

my biggest demand of the game is they absolutely must have stephen russel voice garrett. unless they don't use garrett at all which would be a shame.

I'm super keen for a new Thief and anxious they screw it up, but I'll wait and see instead of going mad from a single screenshot.

AC2 is a simply fantastic game. If they can mix the two and still respect Thief, that will be an achievement.

Hmmm, I bought AC1, found it a bit dull and never tried the second. Is AC2 more engaging that 1, Dhruin? I like the concept, being both a fan of Thief and PoP, but am afraid of being bitten again.

I'm not the right person to ask because I've never played Assassin's Creed 1. AC2 came bundled with my PS3 (yes, shock, played it on console) and it was the second console game I ever played.

I also discovered controllers work well for some games, so I'm not sure how this translates to PC.

Looking at some reviews, I see AC2 has better mission variety, a full economy, better developed main character and the addition of tombs (sort of Tomb Raider dungeons) - which I loved. I'd certainly recommend it personally with the understanding that's it's an action/adventure with a linear story in an open world setting - it's not a non-linear RPG. Whether it addresses what you didn't like in AC1, I couldn't say.

Hmmm, I bought AC1, found it a bit dull and never tried the second. Is AC2 more engaging that 1, Dhruin? I like the concept, being both a fan of Thief and PoP, but am afraid of being bitten again.

They're fundamentally the same core game, Assassin's Creed 2 is just better at offering you a variety of things to do. The original game was basically just 9 identical assassination missions in a row where as AC2 has you doing a variety of mission types, activities and collections.

If you disliked the basic gameplay though, or the complete lack of challenge, none of that changed in AC2.

I also discovered controllers work well for some games, so I'm not sure how this translates to PC.

Controllers have been a part of PC gaming from the beginning too, so there is no issue. Just plug in your 360 pad or whatever else and play the Assassin's Creed games with it, works like a charm.

Yes, sure. I meant KB+M, because I'm sure a lot of PC players don't have a controller. I had never, ever used one before I got the PS3, for example - certainly didn't use one on my PC.

I was never a huge Thief fan as much as I simply respected the design, whilst recognising it was too limited in scope for my tastes.

That said, I enjoyed Thief 3 quite a bit - for some reason - and I think it mostly has to do with the attempt at making a town hub structure with a bit more freedom.

If they can treat Thief 4 with the same respect they seem to be treating Deus Ex 3 with - this could be quite a gem.

I hope they head in the freeform direction, and in this way it would be fine if they took some inspiration from Assassin's Creed.

Just as long as they don't mess too much with the core gameplay, because I found AC (both of them) to be too fiddly and the combat too artificial and… mechanical in how it felt. Like the system behind it was too obvious.

It lacks flow and the sensation of doing genuinely challenging things - and rather felt like you were doing very easy things that were covered up as challenges.

Thief handled core mechanics a lot better, and you really had to be careful both in and out of fights. More fluid and natural overall.

So, while I was impressed by the million dollar production values of Assassin's Creed - I think they should have spent more on core mechanics and perhaps less on superfluous content.

The web site of the German gaming magazine "PC Games" hints to an entry on the personal web site of Ruben Farrus, "where until recently stood that Thief 4 would be an reboot of the series".

Back
Top Bottom