New Oculus Rift Prototype

Zloth

I smell a... wumpus!?
Neat.

The thing I don't get, though, is the movement. If it's so real, then why ain't I using my legs? And if I *am* using my legs… well, I foresee several bruised foreheads and cracked Oculus devices. Unless you're using one of those unwieldy treadmill-like things in the middle of your living room.

I'm just trying to wrap my head around the disassociation between the projected reality, the movement therein… and the actual reality.

Some new biotech input device needs to get implemented to tap right into the brainstem - no miniature gyroscopes needed (or however they detect a change of motion). And once that happens, we can all atrophy and rot away in our virtual man caves.

Neat.

The thing I don't get, though, is the movement. If it's so real, then why ain't I using my legs? And if I *am* using my legs… well, I foresee several bruised foreheads and cracked Oculus devices. Unless you're using one of those unwieldy treadmill-like things in the middle of your living room.

I'm just trying to wrap my head around the disassociation between the projected reality, the movement therein… and the actual reality.

Some new biotech input device needs to get implemented to tap right into the brainstem - no miniature gyroscopes needed (or however they detect a change of motion). And once that happens, we can all atrophy and rot away in our virtual man caves.
well, it's not an all or nothing thing. I don't want to have to move around my room to play games, but I am really interested in using the Rift to play games like space/flight simulators, things like Mount & Blade should be great too, horror games should be fantastic, adventure games like Myst might also work well. The vast majority of people that have tried them have said it's a revolutionary development. I'm a little more reserved and waiting to actually try it myself once it's officially released.

As for movement, just like you move with WASD and look around with your mouse in first person view games, you'll still move with WASD (or a controller or joystick) but you'll look around with your head in real (not simulated) 3d, your head will be inside the world, as opposed to looking at a monitor that shows a 2d projection of a 3d world, if that makes any sense.

Last edited:
Next up is a treadmill to go with your rift :) Not only does it make playing video games healthy but it adds a lot to the immersion!

Anyone heard what Facebook (boooo! :p) has planned for this thing that was worth the 2billion$ buyout?

So far they're just injecting a lot of money in it, so the device can have better and faster components. If their black tendrils of evil will ever taint this, it's going to be further down the road.

Next up is a treadmill to go with your rift :) Not only does it make playing video games healthy but it adds a lot to the immersion!
And add resistance if you're going uphill! Jeez, I'm glad Skyrim is already done. Let's do the next Elder Scrolls someplace flat.

Back
Top Bottom