Best Character Names

I use many names for my toon to give unique identity especially for the ones I get super attached to.

Eowyn = my cleric in BG2
Elbereth = my fighter/mage in BG2
Orhlanna = my cleric in IWD1. Used to be one of my go-to-name until I got really attached to this character. Also used same name for human noble in DA:O and frost mage in WoW.
Sheri = WoW fire mage, D3 wizard
Arinleas = WoW heal priest
Valassa = WoW pally
PussPuss = WoW Tauren Druid
Turriz = WoW huntard, D3 demon hunter
Alissa = human noble rogue in DA:O
Aliena = mage in DA2

Etc ;)

Lobo - usually my main character (Fighter, Paladin,...)
Mombotz - Dwarfen characters (Fighter, Cleric,...)
Razar - Elven Wizard
Diana - Hunter, Druid
Ayla / Layla - Rogue, Bard
Robin - Rogue

I keep a list of names I use, some of which have been around awhile.

For males, I tend to use Azrael (usually a Paladin or Monk) or Domhnall (usually a mage of some sort). Clerics/Priests tend to get Ray as well. Bards get Elwood. Gator for melee of some kind.

Lizard-like creatures have Ssslith, irrespective of gender.

Ninja tend to get the very creative name of Shadow or Midnight. They get used occasionally outside of ninja though, along with Little Wing, Starlight, Demonfang/Daemonfang, Fireflash or Stormsong, all uni-sex.

Females tend to be Windsong (often a Bard when available), Aerie, Mirys (or Mirysathala, for the full name), Rachail, Iji, Aneira, Susaidh, Mairi, Cairi, and Kanashima.

Robots tend to get names like Mr Pump, Mr Radar, or Mr Coffee. In DDO, my Warfrog Artificer is Mr Pump XIX, which may be familiar to those who read Terry Pratchett books. Sometimes I'll add a mk # to the end as well, such as Mr Pump XIX mk VI, which denoted the 6th revision of the character.

A few of these names may be a bit familiar to those who play DDO with me on Friday nights.

As this thread began in 2007, some of you may have missed the fact that most of my Characters names are Corwin!! :) For the rest, you'll have to join our DDO group.

The Names I usually use for games that allow 5-Man-Bands:

1. the Leader: Leomar the Knight - a human or aasimar paladin or cleric in D&D, a Warrior in TDE, a Lord in Wizardry...
2. the Lancer: Fenris the "creative killer" - a Fighter/Thief/Mage in AD&D, a Spellsword in D&D, a Magus in Pathfinder, a Battlemage in TDE, a Samurai in Wizardry...
3. the smart guy (well, it's a gal in my case^^): Zoe the Sage - a Cleric/Mage in AD&D, a Mystic Theurge in D&D, a White Mage in TDE, a Bishop in Wizardry...
4. the big Guy (ok, a rather small big guy^^): Thogrim the Dwarf; a dwarven Fighter/Thief in AD&D, a Dwarven Defender in D&D, a dwarven Mercenary in TDE, a dwarven Fighter in Wizardry...
5. The Chick: Astrielle the elven Healer, a Cleric in AD&D, a Healer in D&D, a Spellweaver in TDE, a Priest in Wizardry...

My sixth Ranger is either a Rogue if I can't get lockpicking and trapfinding into the other 5, or else a Nuker (usually a Mage, Warlock or Necromancer).

In MMORPGs I usually used the Name Adahn and played usually some Mage or Gish (Warlock or Deathknight in WoW); MMO-Players don't know Planescape - in the 6 or 7 years I played WoW and tried some other MMORPGs I met only one person who recognized the name and on nearly every server it was available :)

A collection of "best & worst" SWTOR names : http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=314108

I often use named like "Thalos" or similarily greek-sounding ( ;) ) names for male characters in fantasy RPGs.

However, in DDO, all character names end with "-adaram" or with "-aram", beginning with "Alrikadaram". One SWTOW character was named "Harakadaram", which is one of my DDO characters, too.

The SWTOR character generator sometimes comes up with really weird combinations, such as "Quitunall", as far as I can remember it. I even made a screenshot of that weird name. A fellow SWTOR player actually uses this name.

My imho best SWTOR character creation was the name of "Tiass'yrên". I had played a LONG time with that name to get it into that shape ! :biggrin: ;)

My main SWTOR character has the name of "Wrw", however, and people often don't like it, anbd often have difficulties pronouncing it, as well.
This character came to be as the name of an WEG-based Ithorian land-worker (someone who helps farmers, for example, and travels from place to place seeking work), and I had made up his full name as "Wrw Dungon", then. The first name ("Wrw") was meant to sound like a grinding sound from a mortar (that thing in which you crush and pulverize spices for cooking, for example). It was supposed to be an unique Ithorian "word", a sound that only Ithorians are fu8lly able to produce.
This character was made with the pen & paper WEG material (West End Games, the first Star Wars role-playing rules license) for a small series of pen & paper role-play sessions in the 90s. For me, it was kind of an honour to transfer it into SWTOR … Little did I know of the hatred and the irritation it would get … Someone even outright said in the open SWTOR chat (in-game) that only an game master "with something with his brain" would have allowed such a name - which is a clear insult to our game master we had during our pen & paper play … I was sometimes even met with the threat that that name was "not according to the game's rules/laws", when I had criticised a player, which is basically a blackmail (one player who had written that to me was someone who had written in the SWTOR in-game chat about the bad work of other players in PvP that "some people had better been aborted" - showing that this player was really aggressive and then tried to blackmail me because he couldn't stand my remark that his chat reply wasn't polite at all …).

Last edited:
Well, I borrowed your Wrw (at least his name) for a SW p&p RPG NPC. A true Ithorian, by the way, but it was the first name that came to my mind.

Great ! Thank you ! :D

Well most of my game-character names were:

swordsman/fighter/tank: warblade,warvaine,braveheart,raineheart,bronx,iron kraiden.

assassin/thief type: death shadow,death scythe,dark gaiden,grifter,rikku.

archer/gunner: blitz,dante,wildvaine

wizard/sorcerer/warlock: archmage,stormrage,lord arcanister,farseer,arcaine master,dread lord,raine of chaos,death messiah.

healer/support: not much on support type.

I often used wildcatz as my main character for both swordsman & assassin type.

mmorpgadik...=)

Maybe I'm weird, but I usually give stupid names to my characters, because I find it funny that a guy/girl with a stupid name will save the world/whatever :x

For example:
Piaf (which is french slang for "bird", but more like a pigeon than an eagle)
Chevalier Bidoof (which means "Bidoof knight")
BIDOOF (note the use of cap locks, always funny in written dialogues)
Golduck (for my blue skin character in Xenoblade Chronicles X)
Grenouille (which means "frog" for my Argonian in Skyrim)

Last edited:
My names, my games

As most enigmatic pseudo wisepersons in fantasy novels tell you ponderously a name is a powerful thing.

My first ever RPG character (D&D 1978) was Alastor, a lawful evil fighter - immediately rechristened Alastorplast by my fellow nerds.

I inherited Slink Blackarm as the name (in male and female variants) from by best friend Gary Al. It means a lot to me - it's his memorial, as he died in his sleep of a brain haemorrhage in 2003, aged 47. Please use it. As Shakespeare says "So long as ………. eyes can see,
***So long lives this, and this gives life to thee"

I like punning names:

Ivor Spelatu
Haakon Slay
Buster Knut… etc,

Names make characters come closer to living.

Favorite Quote is from Original Traveller - session circa 1980

"Rescue! We're not paladins in Vacc Suits!" (Spoken by a drunken space marine in a zero G brothel)

Back
Top Bottom