What are you reading?

Another book similar to The Stand that I'd recommend is "Swan Song" from Robert McCammon. I very much enjoyed all his horror work back in the day. He moved away from horror back in the 90's, but apparently he's written some more in recent years. I'll have to pick it up at some point.

Currently chugging thru the final Wheel of Time book and enjoying it.

Finished Caliban's war.It's even better than first book, I really liked new characters(well except Prax he is boring).

I am starting sticking with sci-fi for now, I started first book of Dune chronicles.

I just completed Shadow Chaser, the second book in the Chronicles of Siala. I'm really enjoying the story, some parts seem a bit rushed and perhaps glossed over, but that could be because of the translation from Russian to English, so I won't hold it against the author. I'll most likely get into book three at some point this weekend.

I made most way through the second Apocalypse Z book (Dark Days) by Manual Loureiro on flights this week ... definitely not as strong as the first, really just trying to get through it because I heard the third book is better. We shall see ...

Just finished The Martian by Andy Weir - HIGHLY recommend it. Funny, thriller, and sci-fi; what more could you want?

I made most way through the second Apocalypse Z book (Dark Days) by Manual Loureiro on flights this week … definitely not as strong as the first, really just trying to get through it because I heard the third book is better. We shall see …

Confirmed ... I rated it as '3 stars' - you still care about the main characters, and there is enough there to pull you into the final book, but some of the stuff was really *groan* *sigh* "really?!?"

I also got a few books from authors who spoke at a statistics conference I attended this week, will report back on those ... not sure if I will start one of those next or finish the Apocalypse Z series out.

Started reading book three yesterday of the Chronicles of Siala due to football being absolutely terrible. The goodness continues, at least so far, and I have to say I admire the author for some very bold decisions early in this book. It's really easy to enjoy a series that just gets better as you read it.

On another note, in a week where the Cowgirls, Bolts, and Cheatriots all win, I just gave up. It must be the apocalypse or something.

Thanks. Yes, The Talisman comes after The Eyes of the Dragon which comes after The Stand (cf. Reading Order). As for getting into the Dark Tower — when I was a teenager I read IT which was utterly horrifying (in a disturbingly good way, of course). Some time later I got The Gunslinger as a gift and it was sooo boring and not at all what I had expected, which was horror. It's different, now. I'm not sure how much I'll progress with this until I get sidetracked again, considering that I have quite a lot of diverse series on my currently-reading list, but so far it's fun.

'It' was wonderful. One of my favorite lines was about the kid that put gum on a stick and would pick up coins from the drain. He referred to 'Quarters' (a type of coin in the US) as "Quay-monsters" which really struck me funny for some reason. I read that passage multiple times and brought myself to tears with laughter.

While not post-apocalyptic, an oft overlooked King novel was From a Buick 8. Delightfully Lovecraftian (at least I thought so), I recommend it.

On another note, in a week where the Cowgirls, Bolts, and Cheatriots all win, I just gave up. It must be the apocalypse or something.
Poor, misguided soul... I forgive you.

About 2/3 thru the last Wheel of Time book now.

I just finished "Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss and have started the second in the series "The Wise Man's Fear". These are probably some of the best fantasy books I have read in some time. I had been reading mostly historical fiction, such as Conn Igullden's Genghis series.

I just finished "Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss and have started the second in the series "The Wise Man's Fear". These are probably some of the best fantasy books I have read in some time. I had been reading mostly historical fiction, such as Conn Igullden's Genghis series.

Love Rothfuss, he pushed me into fatasy I was also historical fiction reader.

2nd one wasn't quite as good as the first (it seemed like the editor went in and gutted the last 1/4 of the book to get under a certain number of pages) but was still an excellent read. You're in for a treat.

Finished the Wheel of Time. Found it a bit anti-climactic, but I expect it would be nearly impossible to put an ending on such a a huge story arc that would do it justice. It was still a very good book and did a nice job tying up most of the 6 million plot threads that Jordan started.

Change of pace up next for me: Hidden Prey by John Sandford
(Sandford's books always seem to work as quick, "cleanse the palatte" books for me)

Having recently read LEM's Heirs of Cyador, I'm eagerly awaiting the imminent release of Heritage of Cyador. I have yet to be disappointed with his books even though a very few are not quite as good as the vast majority. His Recluse and Imager series are still his best!! (IMO) :)

Having recently read LEM's Heirs of Cyador, I'm eagerly awaiting the imminent release of Heritage of Cyador. I have yet to be disappointed with his books even though a very few are not quite as good as the vast majority. His Recluse and Imager series are still his best!! (IMO) :)

You know I have read pretty much all of LEM's books even thought they are all same story! I just like the atmosphere he creates even though its the same in all the books! The Magic of Recluce is the first book of his I read and I felt as thought I was the main character in the story who was living in that world. It still feels real to me. Thats how good the atmosphere is. It doesn't feel that way in his other books due to repetition but still good and easy read on nice rainy weekend :)

Change of pace up next for me: Hidden Prey by John Sandford
(Sandford's books always seem to work as quick, "cleanse the palatte" books for me)

I always enjoyed John Sandord's books, though I don't think I read that one. I read a lot of his earlier ones, then kind of lost interest for years, then started reading the newer ones, missing a lot of the ones in the middle. His newest, Field of Prey was pretty good.

I am currently reading Disappointment with God by Philip Yancy. This book truly speaks out of how we deal with God during difficult times.

I remember someone asking for good horror books. I just came across a very nice reddit thread
http://www.reddit.com/r/scifi/comments/2alwkw/any_books_similar_to_the_movie_alien/
Hope it helps.

While on the subject. Anyone can recommend me great horror movies/series like alien. I'm so in the mood for horror. It seems the amount of good horror material seems nonexistent compared to other genres.

I did come across the american horror story.

I just read a thriller based on current events - "Ebola K" - you can get it free on Amazon kindle. I read it in one day non-stop, its that kind of book. It is about an airborne strain of Ebola that is discovered in Africa, and a terrorist group who wants to use it as a weapon. A real page turner, and surprisingly emotional in some parts too. The only problem is the book ends on a cliff-hanger, and the sequels won't be out for a few months.

Back
Top Bottom