Alpha Protocol - Retrospective @ GameOnDaily

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Well it has been a while since we read another Retrospective for Obsidian's RPG game Alpha Protocol, but fear not as a site called GameOnDaily published a new one today.

Poor old Obsidian, always the bridesmaid, never the bride. Handed the reigns to illustrious RPG franchises like Star Wars: Knights of The Old Republic and Fallout but perceived to have released only sub-standard sequels; then to fall when launching their own franchise in form of Alpha Protocol.

Such as shame as this spy-based RPG represents one of the last gen’s most admirable failures and an admirable failure isn’t really a true failure (see JFK at the bottom). The fact that some of Alpha Protocol simply doesn’t work does not mean there isn’t something of value to be enjoyed.

Alpha Protocol’s concept is a good one, taking the action RPG template and applying it to the espionage genre is a really sound idea. It uses the decision making mechanics of Mass Effect (in fact shares a lot of common DNA), some interesting upgrade and customisation, whilst all tied together with real world action. Some of these elements work, some don’t, however what results from this unpredictable gaming caldron is worth your time.
More information.

I played this game a couple of years ago and thought it was fantastic. An easily missed gem. Wish they would do another one but from the comments I read they did not own the IP and the ip owner (sega) has no interest in either funding another game or releasig the iip.

I played it two times all the way through. AP is a terrible shooter but a great RPG. I can highly recommend it when it's on sale again for 3$. Then grind out the tutorial missions. Once the story really starts you won't look back.

No thankyou, I'll patiently wait for saveanywhere mod. If it never comes, well, $3 will go to charity or something called beer.

You can save anywhere ... the last checkpoint in a permanent slot.

Oh Joxer, you will never change. More C&C in this game probably than anything out there, and for that reason I definitely recommend it. That said, I don't think it is necessarily the best-done C&C. I enjoyed it personally, even the action, though the story's malleability is its real bread and butter.

You would be missing out on a great game. Exactly as Gorath have said - "a terrible shooter but a great RPG"!

You can save anywhere … the last checkpoint in a permanent slot.
Okay, I'll be more precise.
Once someone makes nocheckpoint b.shit mod.
Oh Joxer, you will never change.
True.
More C&C in this game probably than anything out there, and for that reason I definitely recommend it.
It can be modern Mona Lisa masterpiece for all I care - it simply failed on the basic thing. If I'm a pig here and the game is a pearl as you suggest, just don't throw it to me. Because somehow, checkpoints do not shine as pearls when I look at them.

Forget all above joxer. You get raped by East German female STASI agent. You can't argue with that can you?

You suggesting Black Isle employees worked for STASI and were actively raping their audience?

It's the only Obsidian game I have ever really liked. It's an excellent stealth game. Lots of fun to sneak around and perform silent takedowns. As a shooter, however, it is indeed quite horrible.
The atmosphere is awesome. They really nailed that Robert Ludlum spy novel style. The choices are good, the dialogue is great (even the time pressure feature which fits this type of game nicely) and the overall story is decent enough (not too great unfortunately... it's like a $1 Ludlum novel ;) ).
It's also not too long and not too short at ~20 to 25 hours or so. Good stuff on a whole.

Yeah, just shut up joxer and get this game already! :lol:

Game was a clunky mess made by confused people.

It had its moments, though.

Also, the investigations that opened up new quests and quest options are great fun. If you play it as a pure shooter and ignore all the stuff that requires a brain, the game will definitely suck for you. :)

Really ? I will find out soon enough. Bought it for $2 recently. It's on my list. Right after twau and rogue legacy.

I know what will be on joxers tombstone. And it won't have anything to do with smoking.

I really should give AP another try someday. There must be something there if so many people here like it.

I couldn't make it through Saudi Arabia when I tried playing it. The gameplay just didn't grab me at all. I also remember disliking the HUD for some reason.

AFAIR Saudi Arabia was the part I meant with "grinding through". The story starts when this mission is over. After that things open up and the C&C start.

Don't get me wrong JD, there were moments in AP which were driving me nuts (I'm looking at you Konstantin) but the good bits were worth the pain.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom