Risen - Gampeplay Video

Oh, inventory management might be a little harder, but it's not like you really need twitch controls in an RPG. In the end, both versions would be played on the same TV screen, anyway! :)

Make that projector screen ;)

How come, that to my eyes, it looks more like Gothic 2 than Gothic 3. Have to say that the UI and graphics doesn't impress me, but good gameplay and story is more important.

.. Because it's been a while since you played Gothic 2? :biggrin:

It's definetly closer to 3 than 2. In fact, it's surprisingly close to 3 in terms of graphics, considering it's a different engine.

And I truly don't think the graphics look bad at all. I mean, this looks like a detailed and varied environment with plenty of colour. What more could you ask for in terms of exploration? But hey, I still hang on to my 4,5-year-old computer, so what do I know? :biggrin:

And I truly don't think the graphics look bad at all. I mean, this looks like a detailed and varied environment with plenty of colour. What more could you ask for in terms of exploration? But hey, I still hang on to my 4,5-year-old computer, so what do I know? :biggrin:

I agree. I have absolutely no complaint about the graphics in Risen. At first I was a little concerned about the amount of bloom, but even that looks fine in these latest videos.

17 days, and counting.....

Hopefully they'll release a demo soon.

The latest official word on the demo is: "Until now we've always stated that we will try to publish the demo before the release of the game. I think that it will work out that way but there's not going to be any promises."

Well. I finally managed to take a look at those videos and now I "need" to play the game.....
It's strange tha game's not gone gold yet considering they've to send a lot of copies in many countries. And I assume (.... only assume) the demo could be released when they'll have a gold/master copy ready for mass production.
So I hope we'll be surprised ine the next few days.

It's strange tha game's not gone gold yet considering they've to send a lot of copies in many countries. And I assume (…. only assume) the demo could be released when they'll have a gold/master copy ready for mass production.
So I hope we'll be surprised ine the next few days.

Well, the game might already have gone gold silently but maybe they are indeed waiting for the gold announcement until the day that the demo is finished so they can announce both at the same time. It might just be marketing reasons that we haven't gotten a gold announcement yet while the game is in reality already in reproduction. Who knows...

This is a teeny tiny criticism based on the video… but I did like how in G3 a chest that has been cleaned out displays the word 'chest' with white text. When the chest still had content it displayed the word 'chest' in a colored text like red or orange (red or orange being a visual cue on the difficulty of the lock). This was a great way to tell, without opening the chest, if it was already emptied.

I'm such a pack rat that in risen I'll probably be checking, and rechecking, and checking again chests that I've already cleaned out without this visual aid.

Again, itty bitty, teeny weenie criticism for what looks to otherwise be an excellent game.

Just skimmed them, but it looks good. Sort of dark like Gothic. And nice combat.

But that giant scorpion fight? Seems a bit ridiculous it would take that many arrows.

Probably a higher level mob than the character. I've had fights in Gothic 1 and 2 that lasted several minutes because I was dodging and hitting, always taking off a small % of the health.

At any rate, I do like the combat. It seems fast, very interactive. Much better than G3.

That's fine for one or 2 boss fights, maybe. But even that game design feature is tiresome. I'd prefer if there were a trick or puzzle to solve to make the combat end quickly.

Like the look of this ... I'm already pre-ordered and waiting!

That's fine for one or 2 boss fights, maybe. But even that game design feature is tiresome. I'd prefer if there were a trick or puzzle to solve to make the combat end quickly.

I prefer open design where you can come back and kill them quickly when youre stronger. The feeling of progressing is so much greater. Gothic style!

The boss at the end of Gothic 2 gave you no such option. It was a long slugfest no matter how strong you were. There should be smart options beyond the knucklehead approach.

The sword combat looked pretty good, animations were decent and the battles looked realistic. The bow and arrow, and the magic attacks looked very weak. I hope they're not going to ship the game with ranged attacks being so pathetic.
Graphics were good, overall feel was a little 'tight' closed in.. and did I mention ranged attacks were limp?

Back
Top Bottom