Do you like dice rolls displayed or not ?

Display dice rolls

• All the time as part of GUI

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Display only on request as log

Votes: 10 62.5%

• Total voters

Twotricks

Sentinel
I am back at making my dungeon crawl RPG based on D&D ruleset.

Now one of my plans is to actively display all dice rolls all the time and in full format.

I kind of think its what RPG fans want.

But it does take a large part of GUI.

So i was thinking...

What do you, fellow RPG fans think.

Dungeon crawl , D&D ...

Dice rolls displayed all the time,
or just by request (as log)

I like numbers. Full feedback is a must for me.

I think BG had it right, in that you could have it display the die rolls in the text window if you wanted, or you could leave it off. I always liked having it on, but giving people the option is never a bad thing.

For me personally, I'd rather have it off. I feel like the experience of a game is more than the sum of its parts and showing too much of the mechanics makes it feel overly game-y to me and breaks my suspension of disbelief.

That said, I think it should still be available as an option. It the choice is between yanking a feature, making it standard or making it toggleable I will always opt for allowing the player to have a choice even if the feature is one I don't particularly care to use myself.

Problem is , as far as interface is designed now. It can either be on, or it can be displayed at separate screen as log. So Baldurs Gate - part of dialogue area, will not work.

Displayed all the time or request works for me. It doesn't really matter which, just as long as they are seen somewhere.

I like die rolls so I can see exactly what a certain spell does or certain equipment. Some spell descriptions can be a little confusing until I see them in action with a dice roll, then I understand them better.

What I often would like to see a log as a simple text file as ell - for later analysing. Nobody does it, and I#m still not sure how much use is in it at all, but still …

In games with stat-heavy / technical game systems, I like as much information displayed as possible. Ideally however in a way that isn't too intrusive or can be toggled off.

Well I notice now Frayed Knights displays rolls in same way BG does. Probably best way. I think i will have to do it this way...

BG way was great for me. Most f the time I didn't even noticed it. Only when for example I was not able to open some lock or disarm some chest I looked into the numbers to see what I need to do further to make successful roll.

BG way was great for me. Most f the time I didn't even noticed it. Only when for example I was not able to open some lock or disarm some chest I looked into the numbers to see what I need to do further to make successful roll.

That is not BG that is NWN. In BG the only numbers you can see is are the combat rolls if you enable "Extra Feedback" in the configuration.

Ahhh thx for that :) Was long time since I last played either BG or NWN, so i mixed it :)

Last edited:
I don't like it as it sort of takes me out of the experience. I'm not much into tactics, so they just don't do anything for me.

Back
Top Bottom