RPGWatch Feature: Arcania Impressions

So why don't you try it with some logic for a difference?
;) Only kidding.

On the serious side I have to admit that sometimes I even have the feeling to understand, what you try to say. But my logical capacity is not high enough to decide if that feeling is correct.

My logic is pretty solid - but hardly flawless :)

If I say something that doesn't make sense, please point it out so I can learn from my mistakes.

Flawless logic will lead to incorrect conclusions if the premises are flawed. When dealing with the real world, they usually are -- if not actually incorrect, they're almost always incomplete.

Flawless logic will lead to incorrect conclusions if the premises are flawed. When dealing with the real world, they usually are -- if not actually incorrect, they're almost always incomplete.

Most likely true, but we don't have much to work with as human beings trying to communicate.

If we don't at least attempt to use logic, we really don't have much common ground from which to work.

Then you'd have to assume your perception of reality is identical to that of others, and that's pretty shaky if you ask me.

In fact, I don't see any way of reaching an understanding without the use of logic - but maybe someone can enlighten me?

To make it simple for you:

We've witnessed several recent videos of Arcania. In those videos, we've seen a complete lack of interactive elements - like zero NPCs and really completely empty worlds.

Going by the previews and articles, they were going to add those later - but with my experience with this industry - you don't just add something like that, because it takes huge amounts of work.

The release date was getting very close, so naturally I was very worried and pretty convinced we'd get a severely flawed game upon release. Not that I cared much about the game, so this is "intellectual" worry :)

So, when I hear it's been delayed for several months - I fail to see how that can be ANYTHING but good news. There are only two alternatives: release on time or don't release at all.

Naturally, a delay isn't the same as fixing all problems - but at least there's hope instead of no hope.

If my premise is flawed, please explain to me how - because I certainly don't see it.

Actually, I was referring to posts #63 & 64, but I hear what you're saying. :)

Oh, in that case - it's because I didn't think to add that until after posting and sort of thought of it more as a general reply than exclusively to PJ ;)

It seems Arcania was indeed in need of some refocussing. 4-5 months ago Spellbound hired a new guy for a job with the title "Creative Producer". His name is Steffen Rühl. He lead the story / scripting department at Piranha Bytes for ca. 1.5 years when they were working on the first Gothic. It's his second gig at Spellbound, after the Giana Sisters remake.
Mr Rühl introduced himself with a series of long posts at WoG, explaining a couple of decisions made for Arcania in clear language. Especially why they have been made. Pretty interesting stuff. Finally somebody high enough in the food chain that he can at least talk about some in-game details without having to get permission first. The CM answers ca. 50 questions per week, but he often has to sidestep or decline an answer.

I also read that the fund financing the game has installed their own producer, but that's just an unconfirmed rumor. I suppose somebody misunderstood the usual "Executive Producer" construct the fund always uses.

Back
Top Bottom