2012 NHL Playoffs

the ratings were spectacularly bad for the first game, considering the two teams are in the two largest TV markets in the US. Down more than 30% compared to last year.

NBA semi finals beat them in local markets (NY/NJ and LA) and across the US (1.1 share). Surprising considering during the Lakers and Clippers playoffs runs the Kings were being called the hottest ticket.

I'm sure being down 2-0 will give the impression that NJ "sucks". In reality this is turning out to be a very even match up. Since the 3rd period of game 1 NJ has dominated. A bad turnover in game 1 cost them. This time a bad line change cost them. Anyway... great series.

Like I said… team of destiny.

NJ is putting up a great fight though. I think they'll win 1 game in LA.

I sure hope so. I'm still steaming from Lucky Day's comment that Nashville was better than NJ. I mean seriously.... Its bad enough I'm likely going to have to eat crow and say something nice about the Canucks, I'd just like to enjoy a nice long series!

I am basing that on paper - Rinne and Shea Weber - but Nashville didn't give nearly the fight that the Canucks and Coyotes eventually gave against LA. By the time those teams stopped playing their game and adjusted for LA it was too late.

Is this series close? Of course it is - don't think in any of the other series LA allowed the first two games to go to OT - but this is the way LA has won every series. NJ seems to realize the only way to score against this team is to send the fourth man in and like every team LA has played so far its cost them.

You can see now they are very comfortable winning 1-0. They lull their opponent to sleep then hit them when they can - its an old way to play but rarely is it this effective. Can you remember a SC team that had such a bad power play?

300px-Cx_crows_new.jpg

I'll eat some of these if you are right.

Seems Kovulchuk showed up last night and started shooting. Let's see if he can improve on that - and if the ratings improve when they get to LA.

Seems Kovulchuk showed up last night and started shooting. Let's see if he can improve on that - and if the ratings improve when they get to LA.

I don't see the ratings getting better just because the teams are traveling to LA. I think the problem is that this simply isn't an exciting match-up to a lot of people. I honestly think the ratings for an LA-NY series would have been significantly higher. Although that's probably just stating the obvious.

it gets worse - watching the French Open today they went to "other sporting news" and only give info on the NBA semis before going to commercial. This on the station that paid about $1billion to the NHL to lock in the rights for the next few years. I wasn't aware if NBC is even showing the NBA playoffs on any of their networks. On Monday AGT pre-empts game 3 and we'll have to watch it on NBCSPN.

2-0 LA in the second. I'm calling it. I was wrong and NJ can't beat the Kings.

*sigh*

Burrows and the Sedin brothers are true offensive powerhouses and Florida trading Luongo was one of the biggest mistakes in NHL franchise history.

Ouch… 4-0 final. I think I was wrong about my prediction that NJ would win a game in LA. The Kings can smell the blood in the water.

Only 2 goals scored in 3 games for the Devils. I guess it's obvious who the Conn Smythe trophy is going to.

Yup. Its sweep time I'm afraid. It feels like the Bruins/Edmonton series in 88. The Bruins looked like a team of destiny until they were stopped cold by the West, completely outclassed.

The only way NJ is going to take game 4 is if LA takes a nap due to the comfortable lead. LA is unreal. They can play the whole freaking game in their own zone. They are physically huge and fast, just waiting to pounce on a turnover while ensuring mediocre quality chances in their own zone. Possession means so little to these guys. How does that happen??? Its freakish!

2-0 LA in the second. I'm calling it. I was wrong and NJ can't beat the Kings.

*sigh*

Burrows and the Sedin brothers are true offensive powerhouses and Florida trading Luongo was one of the biggest mistakes in NHL franchise history.

The only way NJ is going to take game 4 is if LA takes a nap due to the comfortable lead. LA is unreal. They can play the whole freaking game in their own zone. They are physically huge and fast, just waiting to pounce on a turnover while ensuring mediocre quality chances in their own zone. Possession means so little to these guys. How does that happen??? Its freakish!

This is what I've been trying to tell you!

(especially that second part)

Now you see what I'm talking about. I've had to watch this round after round.

Did Marty have an argument on that first goal?

Where will Thomas and Luongo end up this summer?

How about that Collective Bargaining Agreement?

Probably and hope so! I'm tired of watching NY go prone to block shots.

seems Bob Costas agrees with you. He brought it up with Tortorella on Costas Tonight right after the game and mentioned there are people calling for it to be made illegal. Saw calls for this on HFBoards too.

Last edited:
Just to add to my misery Tim Thomas has announced he is taking a year off to "get closer to friends, family and faith". I think I'll try that at work today myself. Wish me luck! ;)

This is just :S the swedish final had almost as many viewers as the NHL one…. despite the possible amount of viewers being 50 times more for the NHL.

If this goes on we'll be buying the players back from the NHL to the swedish leguea :D

I think it is a mistake to have luckluster world cups and only really have a real icehockey tournament during the olympics..... it hurts the interest for the sport.

Just to add to my misery Tim Thomas has announced he is taking a year off to "get closer to friends, family and faith". I think I'll try that at work today myself. Wish me luck! ;)

*pat pat*

urgh - NBC scheduled tonight's game on NBCSN. This game could be huge - and its not like there's anything else on NBC tonight. I guess they were expecting NJ to win at least win.

If NJ does win, the next three games are on NBC.

Well... there will be one on Saturday. If they can force a game 6 the series will actually have a pulse :) Agreed though - no shot at even 7 games at this point. Just make game 5 fun to watch NJ!

Cup hasn't been skated at home since 2007. Don't expect that to change this year. Besides, I watched most of the game for the chance to see the Cup skated, so obviously it wasn't going to happen.

Like all of the teams beforehand NJ finally figured out they need to adjust their game for LA well after putting themselves into a hole.

Boring hockey was the order for the night - LA didn't fall for it though IMO. Its their game and they are very comfortable playing it. If the next games are going to be like this as coin flips then we just need to add 1/2+1/2+1/2 to see the result.

Unlike Doc Emerick and Co. I think that boarding call was legit, because it was potentially very dangerous.

Who called a 4-1 series? Who called a sweep?

Back
Top Bottom