Elemental: War of Magic - Impressions @ Gamespot

magerette

Hedgewitch
Gamespot has posted an impressions piece about Stardock's upcoming fantasy/strategy release inspired by the classic Master of Magic, Elemental: War of Magic. Also, the official site is now showing an approximate release date of September 1, 2010.
Here's a snip from the Gamespot article:
When you have a sovereign created, you'll then be able to explore the barren, largely uncivilized world. While the key to exploring the world and discovering key resources and other nations' holdings is to walk across as many tiles as possible, your sovereign can also perform "subtile" movements within a single tile to explore that tile's contents, which will come into play with the game's various quests. But your first order of business will be to expend part of your character's wizardly essence to create your first home city. Home cities can have up to five levels of development and will grow in size depending on each city's current population and available food. Elemental will have a built-in modifier that will multiply the benefits of any improvements you build in your city by your city's level...And since it turns out that every Elemental map will have a limited amount of food supplies (such as grain patches and fruit orchards that must be discovered by exploration), the limited food and high-level bonuses of developed cities mean that you'll be better served by having fewer, more well-tended cities, rather than a whole bunch of low-level villages.
More information.

With Master of Magic as a model, making an improved modern version is as easy as it gets.

But I still think they'll mess it up...

Considering how great GalCiv2 is (one of the best games ever imo) i have no doubts this will be a must-buy…

With Master of Magic as a model, making an improved modern version is as easy as it gets.

But I still think they'll mess it up…

You certainly are Mr. Positive ;)

I think they will make an awesome game. But they have already stated it will not be like MoM. The influences are certainly strong, but other inluental games are civilization and populus.

And I too think MOO2 was better. Mostly because of the tactical battles being really awesome. GalCiv2 was a really good game though.

You certainly are Mr. Positive ;)

I think they will make an awesome game. But they have already stated it will not be like MoM. The influences are certainly strong, but other inluental games are civilization and populus.

And I too think MOO2 was better. Mostly because of the tactical battles being really awesome. GalCiv2 was a really good game though.

Call me mr. grumpy if you must :p

I think GalCiv2 is a decent enough game, but it clearly demonstrates where my tastes and their design visions conflict - and that's what I'm basing my expectations on.

I'm sure it'll fall right into place if you really enjoyed GalCiv2 - which I personally didn't.

SimTex, in my opinion, truly understood how to create a feature rich experience, and it never occurred to them that streamlining would be an alternative.

You see, I despise the modern trend of streamlining and reducing complexity. I know it's done to make things more apparent and accessible - but I like to discover things on my own, and I think it's part of the experience to evolve your understanding of mechanics. Beyond that, I think even small features - like ship boarding, ship leaders, telepathy (that's not just a word), and countless other little things - together made for a much more interesting and diverse game.

I don't want a game that I can fully assess within a few hours - as that's just boring.

Note that I'm not talking about mastering the game, because that's something entirely different. I'm sure it'll be very challenging and interesting as a competitive experience.

To put it another way, I'm much more about discovering games than beating them.

Discovering games, though, is not what games are about these days. They're about spelling themselves out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom