Gothic 3 Gothic 3 CP 1.7 Released

What a marvelous patch (performance wise, looks great, low stutter, no crashes so far in 6 hours straight gameplay)!

Got back from a film festival and played more 1.7 ... its very late, but this patch is the salvation of G3 imnsho!

All I have to say is I actually enjoy the game and look forward to playing it each day. No bugs so far or crashes...well one crash when the game locked up. I was in menu and I rolled the scrollwheel. Other than that it looks good.

Yes, it's a great improvement. With both the AB and AI changes, it also has a somewhat different feel which I think is for the better although the mage path seems a little harder because of the reduction in free ancient knowledge and the increased costs.

Combat is way more interesting now... the ability for enemies to block a ton of hits makes it much more exciting.

Is eveyone playing with the AB switched on? I'm curious what the general opinion is of the AB. Do you agree with all of the changes?

I'm maybe 10 hours in as a fairly conventional swordsman/hunter, not really pushing through the plot, and the changes (all of them) feel great as far as I'm concerned...

Yes I love all the changes. Makes character progression much more rewarding. :)

One thing I don't agree with is the way they changed books and large stone tablets to only give 3 points of ancient knowledge instead of 5. It was already difficult enough to increase that stat to high levels.

I heard they also changed the permanent bonuses from potions, although the changelog doesn't say how much.

I heard they also changed the permanent bonuses from potions, although the changelog doesn't say how much.

I thought I read somewhere from 2 to 3. So it's pretty weird to see they downsized the amount of points you get from reading those tablets or books, but upgraded the potions.

I thought I read somewhere from 2 to 3. So it's pretty weird to see they downsized the amount of points you get from reading those tablets or books, but upgraded the potions.

I think it makes a lot of sense: to make the potions, you need to buy or otherwise acquire the skills to make them. King's Sorrel being rare (as well as being a quest requirement in some cases), it'll be a while before you can make back your investment. Plus, the recipes cost serious money. With the original balancing, the permanent potions perk was pretty much useless -- by the time you made back your skill point investment, you were swimming in skill points anyway. With the new balancing, it makes some sense for some builds to buy the skills and make the potions.

The books and tablets, OTOH, were essentially free skill points -- rewards for exploration. The tablets were wildly unbalanced -- you could get over 100 AK from them relatively easily. By scaling down that, you have to actually work to get a mage build.

I think it makes a lot of sense: to make the potions, you need to buy or otherwise acquire the skills to make them. King's Sorrel being rare (as well as being a quest requirement in some cases), it'll be a while before you can make back your investment. Plus, the recipes cost serious money. With the original balancing, the permanent potions perk was pretty much useless -- by the time you made back your skill point investment, you were swimming in skill points anyway. With the new balancing, it makes some sense for some builds to buy the skills and make the potions.

Nah, with all the free alchemy points the perma-potion perk was a no-brainer. It took three str or hunting potions to recoup the very modest 5 LP investment, and you can easily find that many King's Sorrel around Ardaea alone (there is a total of more than 30 plants, mostly in Myrtana).

Have the patch made it harder to come by alchemy points as well? In vanilla there was no point in putting a single point into that skill, since there were well over 100 free points to be found and you only needed 40 or so for permanent potions...

I understand what PJ is saying, I thought the original potion bonuses were pretty weak, they needed a little boost.

The reason I was originally against the reduction of Acient Knowledge bonuses was because of the requirements to get the "Fast Learning" perk. However, I just noticed that they also reduced the cost of that perk.

Have the patch made it harder to come by alchemy points as well? In vanilla there was no point in putting a single point into that skill, since there were well over 100 free points to be found and you only needed 40 or so for permanent potions...

Yup, the free alchemy bonuses have been downgraded to 3 each.

I understand what PJ is saying, I thought the original potion bonuses were pretty weak, they needed a little boost.

The reason I was originally against the reduction of Acient Knowledge bonuses was because of the requirements to get the "Fast Learning" perk. However, I just noticed that they also reduced the cost of that perk.
Now that my mage is up to level 25, I feel a little better about the changes with regard to balance. Two other noteworthy changes that help: a reduction in requirement for mana regeneration and a serious stat boost for the quarterstaff.

Last edited:
The expected hotfix (1.71) is out.

Back
Top Bottom