M&M: Heroes VII - Reviews and a Patch

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Eye spotted these two reviews for Might & Magic: Heroes VII.

God is a Geek, 7

As good as Might and Magic Heroes VII is, it’s not a perfect game by any stretch of the imagination. Nostalgic and fanatically protective fans have stifled any innovation that could have come from it, and Limbic Entertainment’s decision to service the fans so absolutely means that they’re unable to change what they do. New players coming into this franchise for the first time are going to struggle. It’s uninviting for anyone unfamiliar with the series; however, if you’re willing to stick through it there is a genuinely good game underneath.
wccftech, 5.4

Might & Magic Heroes, or Heroes of Might and Magic, is one of the longest running franchises in PC gaming history. Spanning seven main games in the series, with seven spin-offs for both PC and consoles, in the past twenty years, it should be a celebrated franchise that has the care it deserves. From the deterioration in the previous two entries, particularly Might & Magic Heroes VII, I don’t see a particularly bright future ahead.
And at GameBanshee there is this news about the patch:

Two new patches have been recently released for Might & Magic Heroes VII, patch v1.2, which fixes a variety of issues with the title, and patch v1.2.1, which is mostly a hotfix for a memory issue. Unfortunately the changelog isn't very clear on the exact details of the issues fixed, but hopefully those of you who were experiencing bugs (especially of the gamebreaking variety) should have a smoother experience thanks to these updates:

Fixed Campaign & Scenario Maps walkthrough blockers
Improved AI speed and decision making process
Improved global compatibility and performances of the game
Fixed Load, Save & Autosave corruptions in various circumstances
Fixed Skills and Abilities effects and values
Many bug and glitch fixes
Improved multiplayer experience and stability
Improved Map editor feature and fixes
Improved Localization in various languages
More information.

Ubisoft and Limbic have now created two games which were simply released in a less than super status. Of course Heroes 6 was also unfinished on release, and that was because Black Hole wasn't finished developing the game like they wanted. I have the feeling Limbic did not release the games in the condition they wanted either. Both Limbic games have performance issues because they wasn't time for optimization. Both were missing some promised features at released, and Heroes 7 still has bugs in it. I'm not sure what Ubisoft hopes to accomplish with this policy. Do they want to drive fans away from preordering their games? I liked Might and Magic X a whole lot and it saddens me that Ubisoft seems to be driving people away from a fine series rather than drawing them (back) in.

Ubisoft need more real game designers working for them. People who craft there mechanics by tabletop and test them out before starting production.

Back
Top Bottom