Uh … So we now have no choice ?

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Hello,

I'm currently reading updated EA and Lucasfilm rules concerning data.

This is for SWTOR.

One thing struck me most (bold printing by me) :

12. International Users & U.S.-EU Safe Harbor

Lucasfilm products and services are hosted in the United States. If you use Lucasfilm products and services from the European Union, or any other region with laws governing data collection and use that may differ from U.S. law, please note that you are transferring your personal data outside of those jurisdictions to the United States. The United States does not have the same data protection laws as the European Union and other regions. By providing Personal Information under this Policy, you consent to the use of your Personal Information in accordance with this Policy and the transfer of your Personal Information to the United States.

Lucasfilm complies with the U.S.-E.U. Safe Harbor Framework as set forth by the U.S. Department of Commerce regarding the collection, use and retention of personal data from European Union member countries. Lucasfilm has certified that it adheres to the Safe Harbor Privacy Principles of notice, choice, onward transfer, security, data integrity, access, and enforcement. To learn more about the Safe Harbor program, and to view Lucasfilm's certification, please visit http://www.export.gov/safeharbor.

And, of course, they do tell me that if I don't want this, I can always kind of opt out by simply deleting my EA accounts (in my words, not in theirs).

Nice. The U.S. gets E.U. data for free.

Interestingly, in an recent interview even Steve Wozniak expressed worries abbout data stored in a "Cloud" because of data ownership issues - similar to this ca<se, yet different, but both cases have in common that E.U. data is transferred into the U.S. without E.U. citizens being able to hinder them or to protest agaist it (well, yes, of course they can protest as much as they want, but it just won't matter anyway).

People living in California gets an Extrawurst, seemingly :

13. California Privacy Rights

In addition to the rights set forth in this Privacy Policy, California Civil Code Section 1798.83 permits California residents who are individual consumers or users of Lucasfilm Ltd. Products or services to request certain information regarding its disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please contact us via mail or email at the address identified in the "Contacting Us" section.

Yes, so they can, but E.U. citizens can not (or are not allowed to ) ? Why do Californian citizens get the rights the E.U. citizens should get, too ?

I don't like this. And yes, if I don't like this, then I can cancel and delete my accounts at any time.

Right now I don't know what to think of this.

Alrik

Simply don't use credit card at all in that game, open some fake e-mail address on yahoo or hotmail and put that one on EA/Origin profile so you don't have to worry about (potential) spam.

Besides, what kind of shit is that policy? If I understood it correctly, they can legally provide your data to third party without asking you unless you live in California and specifically request them not to via e-mail?

It's like two names are competing to get the worst publisher title.
Ubisoft went one step forward in being the most evil publisher with the uplay security hole a couple of months back, but since EA can't allow Ubisoft sitting in "the worst" throne, they must be make another evil thing by giving away (okay, selling) players' data.

Yeah, you really need to be careful with that kind of stuff. Last week I had a couple of Wookiees ring my doorbell asking whether I would help them shave. I said 'no'. True story.

Back
Top Bottom