These are a Few of My Favourite Things

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
Staff Member
I thought it might be fun to post links to pics of (as the title says) some of our favourite things. To begin, here is my new Toy!!

My dog

Two friends

The Keeshond (pronounced "Kaze-hawnd") is a member of the Spitz family originating in Germany where he is known as the "Wolfspitz". In Holland, he is known as the "Dutch Barge Dog," in France as the "Chien Loup" and in Italy as "Lupini". This is a very old breed, who throughout history, has always been a companion dog. This has resulted in a breed with a wonderful temperament. One who is gentle, devoted, loving and intelligent. Known as the "smiling Dutchman" because of the toothy grin that he sometimes displays, the Keeshond is loyal, protective and excellent with children. He is good-natured, affectionate, full of fun and always eager to please. The Keeshond makes an ideal companion for people of all ages.
He has a foxy expression, prick ears, double coat and carries his tail over his back as do most of the Spitz breeds. His coat has an abundance of long, straight, harsh hair that stands out from the downy undercoat. The coat is very thick around the neck, shoulders and chest, giving the appearance of a lion-like mane. The hair on his head is smooth, soft, short and velvety. He also has the distinct appearance of wearing glasses due to the markings around his eyes that enhance his expression. Another distinct feature is the longer coated pants, which are lighter in colour. In North America, the most common colours are a mixture of black, cream and grey. In other parts of the world, the Keeshond is also seen in black, brown, orange, buff and white.

Last edited:
What a cool dog, HiddenX. I have a picture(unfortunately no scanner so can't post it) taken (circa1899) of my grandfather in Sweden shortly before he was sent to America and he has his white Spitz leaning forward with front paws on his knee and giving him that 'foxy' look. :)

We don't see many Keeshonds here in Oklahoma, but I remember a few from my childhood in Chicago. The Spitz and the Chow used to be quite popular, but not so much now. My first dog was a Samoyed, and also had that smile. :)

@Corwin: Nii-iiice!

Our family dawg ("aaaawwww" :biggrin: ). Unfortunately, she/it passed away from umm... I guess if she/it were human you'd call it "breast cancer" at age 13 just a few weeks ago *sniff*.

@Corwin: When's that toy of yours due for a pimp mah ride treatment? :biggrin:

Unfortunately nowadays the Spitz-races are rare in Germany, too. The Wolfspitz was never a "fashion dog" and I think it will never be one.

If a Wolfspitz likes you, he'll be your friend forever, if he hates you ... let's say you'll
need a lot of sausages to get his sympathy back. :)

Unfortunately nowadays the Spitz-races are rare in Germany, too. The Wolfspitz was never a "fashion dog" and I think it will never be one.
The Spitz is also generally known to have a sneaky character. ;)

If a Wolfspitz likes you, he'll be your friend forever, if he hates you ... let's say you'll
need a lot of sausages to get his sympathy back. :)

So true. One of these ... creatures ... attacked my heel from behind two times. Not that he really wanted to hurt me. Just show me that he can. Unfortunately I can´t avoid seeing this dog (who thinks he is the leader of the pack) a couple of times a year.
It´s a pity our old shepard died two years ago. Candy would have taught him manners quickly. :biggrin:

@narpet
Is your son a soccer player ?

... and I know a lot of these maps :)

@Gorath
The Spitz is also generally known to have a sneaky character.

That's a prejudice - the exception proves the rule - :)
A Wolfspitz is never sneaky to his own pack/family only sometimes he gets suspicious of unfamiliar outsiders/strangers. To become an insider/pack member you have to visit him more frequently.

The leader of the pack should always be the animal owner. Dogs, that are thinking they are the leader, are often trying to defend the pack and can be vicious.

Last edited:
These are great, and since we're onto dogs, here's Mine!!

@narpet
Is your son a soccer player ?

Yep... he plays soccer and also takes karate lessons. He loves both. I used to run the soccer program for the largest YMCA in the country (when I was semi-retired for a few years), so he started then when he was about 5.

narpet, I had almost that same wall of maps in my old house--still have the maps, but by popular request, they are now mostly filed away. Maybe I should have framed them. :)

narpet, I had almost that same wall of maps in my old house--still have the maps, but by popular request, they are now mostly filed away. Maybe I should have framed them. :)

My "den" is in our laundry room in the basement. My wife let me put that wall up to separate my "den" area from the laundry area.

I'm lucky because my wife encourages my hobbies (addictions?) even though they don't interest her. So she knew that I would put maps and stuff all over the wall. It's not done yet, and I actually don't have enough wall space to hold all of my maps... but at least it's a start ;)

Back
Top Bottom