Sims 4 nails character creation!

When looking for letting Sims express themselves (instead of being media for the player's own desires), and wishing that Sims accomplish things by themselves, it is important to understand that the environment is key to any Sim's progression.

The environment is two: the objects and the other Sims.

A Sim's personality is not fixed and will evolve during lifetime based on the interactions with the environment.

The first steps are usually dedicated to determine what personality the Sim associated to the player possesses.

The creation of a Sim determines only that few traits (the main traits). All these other traits are determined randomly (secondary traits) but matter maybe most than the other traits as they are so many.

The interactions with the environment give out the Sim's personality. This usually happens by letting a Sim act on its own in a specific environment while being on a high mood and witness the various behaviours it displays.

For example: dropping a Sim in a gym reveals the behaviour of a Sim in an environment that favours physical tendencies.
If the Sim goes directly to a work out machine, then it is a good indication the Sim leans toward physical.
If the Sim goes directly to play to a computer to play video games, it is a strong indication the Sim leans toward couch potato.
If the Sim goes directly to talk to people, he is on the socialite side.
If the Sim goes directly to dance, she is on the party goer side.

Fun measures how much a Sim is likely to get into an activity by itself (without the player ordering it to go)
Sims, depending on their personality, more or less enjoy certain activities, and seek to go toward activities they enjoy the most.

It allows to influence Sims: if a Sim is interested in physical activities, then the player must determine which one a Sim likes the most, which ones are useful to allow a Sim to achieve his lifetime wish and then furnish the house in relation and lead the Sim to go to places that favour that activity.

The relation to other Sims comes also a big factor for any player who want to play without many order inputs.

Sims get along based on their proximity of personality: Sims that satisfy themselves the same might go well together.

The personality of a Sim is not fixed and evolves relatively to the fun it gets from an activity. Fun is also related to the level of performance a Sim is able to get.

As a consequence, when two Sims get well together, they tend to influence each other in their personality.

For example: if a Sim is childish and likes physical activities, the Sim will choose (if given the necessary items) activities that satisfy those leanings. When paired with a less childish Sim, it might influence one in the other's way.
If the other Sim responds by joining the childish activity, that Sim will grow more and more childish as this Sim learns to get more and more fun from the activity.

Helping a Sim to choose their friend helps the Sim to achieve his life time dream.

The basic idea is to try to shape the personality of a Sim that is the best to go in the decided direction.

When letting the AI do most of the job, it matters to get the Sim to apply itself because it enjoys what it is doing.

Depending on their personality, when paired(or more), Sims get more or less fun.

For example, getting two Sims to dance together: if one Sim enjoys much more dancing than the other (who might not like dancing), one of the Sim will not get fun or even will lose fun. Because one Sim acts against its will.
It is not a lost case though as the other Sim might learn to enjoy dancing (evolution of personality) and then dancing together will be beneficial to both.

The material environment is usually easy to deploy: provide the items that help a Sim to further their leaning while removing the items that would divert a Sim from their goals.

Relations to other Sims are more delicate. Sims usually do not come with personalities that fits particularly another Sim.
But Sims might learn to know each other.

Sims might turn unsure the other is able to help providing the needed fun. When that point comes, then it is time for the player to push the proper input to move the Sims to an activity that suit them both.

When achieved, the Sims will slowly move by themselves to enjoy that activity together (the player no longer needs to indicate to the Sims what they need to do, they will do it by themselves)

To be applied to the utmost when a player looks to build a couple. Since in fewer order inputs as possible approach, sims are let to do most of it by themselves, pairing two Sims that cant go together only leads to Sims does not lead to a couple of Sims that in the end want to get children.

As an indication of success/failure, keeping an eye on the wish a sim makes allows to measure the progression of the relationship between a Sim.
It is usually a good idea to answer to the wishes that go in the proper directions when dismissing the others. It helps a Sim to determine what they want in their life.

The regular process of building a couple might go as following:

-find the proper candidate that might get along with your Sim. See that the Sims turn each other in romantic interest.
-arrange a few dates on proper locations, guiding them through awkward moments, help them to know each other better, ensuring dates are successful.
-Move to the girlfriend/boy friend stage that comes with extended priviledges and exhibit behaviours in many more life situations.
-then engagment, allows to determine if the sims are ready to get committed one to another
-then marriage that should lead to desire of children.

Of course, in a less as possible order input approach, most must come from the Sims themselves. In each stage, they indicate it fits them by either taking things in their hands the right way or by listing both of them the desire of a certain outcome.

I came to this thread expecting some great information on how you can make your characters nails look nice.... and run into this!

You missed the thread then. :p
On the other hand… We don't have a thread about this game:
www.missbimbo.com

Yet. :evilgrin:

The latest official blog entry caused an earthquake:
http://www.thesims.com/news/neighborhoods-weird-moments-and-more

I will not link to endless count of sites, social lolenlyhearts networks and other media, but wherever you peek there is a public outcry. Official TheSims forum is burning and there is no end to it.
Sims 4 doesn't feature pools nor toddlers.

The list of bad design decisions just went longer. One of comments on the blog contains it:
- No CASt (definitely cannot be added at a later date - it's been confirmed)
- No pools (possibly to be added at a later date)
- No terrain sculpting tools
- No basements (possibly to be added at a later date), and since there's no terrain sculpting tools we can't create our own like we did in TS3 pre-WA patch
- Automatic foundations across the entire level - as I understand it you can't for example create a main house on foundations and then a garden shed with no foundations
- No CFE
- Currently a 3-story limit
- Currently no world editor tool
- From what I can tell, emphasis on pre-constructed build objects (e.g. premade dormers) rather than giving us flexible tools to allow us to create our own
- MOO? Hasn't been confirmed either way that I know
- An in-game 'gallery' (i.e. exchange) with no cc check and that, because it's in game, will be difficult to add a custard-style third party cc-checker program for, so everything will be riddled with CC and no sensible people will ever download your creations

Also more general drawbacks:

- No toddlers (possibly to be added with an EP)
- Teens the same height as adults (presumably to save on animation/clothing budget)
- Loading screens between lots and fewer than 25 lots (or something like that) in the base game world
- They've made it 32-bit, for reasons I can't understand, although that does explain some of the other limitations

A couple of pics furious fans made today about toddlers removal:

fd28BgW.jpg

21bswh.jpg

I find it hard to believe that they are so blatant about this. Each Sims should have printed so much money they could easily afford the staff required to update this game with these basic features. This is like what happened with SimCity with the arbitrary limits. It might be one thing if they promised to do fix it later with no charge but we know it will be a DLC/Expansion to add this.

I suspected they would come with something to make The Sims 4 an full time connected game. Dont know if this comes as an effort to accomplish that.

I'll wait to size up the situation, see the actual situation in the gameplay.

They might have advanced the gameplay in a way that justify the features.

The next stage in the Sims series is to improve the community feeling. At the moment, sims are somehow isolated bits that can evolve on their own. Sims do things on their own without bothering that much with interacting with others (by that, I mean that you can perfect fishing without interacting with another sim. The stage in the Sims is to get rid of that and to require interaction with another Sim to make progress, think trainers. They have already included elements like that but that is not enough)
If you look the trailer, you might think they have gone that way: the artist is lonely, bitter and fails in his life until he met that bartender who changes his life. It might no longer be possible to create top arts without get some help from other sims.
Fitting into the community.

Other things like the absence of terrain sculpting tools might be the counter part of an improvement in path finding. Path finding is a big problem in The Sims. So if they've managed to reduce that problem and that it comes at the expense of terrain sculpting, that will be fine with me.

It's still 2 months prior to the release but for what I know rare people preordered the game. Those who planned are now having second thoughts not just on preorder but on buying it at all.

And fans are making all sorts of threads on the official forum. Of course, all aimed to DLC:The Game business. Some are just trolling, some constructive suggestions, some are jokes and some are just stating a disappointment with different things about upcoming game.

Lemme share two joke posts made by fans. Those are practically futile attempts to persuade EA into changing their business model:

1. http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/759776.page
McWolf said:
SimGuruFreezerBunny just announced the full line up for the next couple of years of Sims 4 Expansion packs.

The Sims 4 Nightlife!
- Take your Sims to the all new Downtown neighbourhood. Hit the dancefloor with Mrs Crumplebottom at the exclusive limited edition nightclub downloadable from The Sims 4 Store.
SimGuruFreezerBunny:(Dating is not possible, no bowling alleys, no vampires, no DJ booth NPC as it must be manned by your Sims, downtown restaurants are rabbitholes)

The Sims 4 Pets
- Your Sims can own Cats and Dogs and fish!
SimGuruFreezerBunny:(Pets only have one life stage and can't breed. No horses. No rabbits, birds or other small pets.)

The Sims 4 Seasons
- Let your Sims experience all four seasons and weather for the third time since 2007!
SimGuruFreezerBunny:(Only sun, rain and snow. Snow will not pile up on the ground however, the terrain will just turn white. Leaves on trees won't turn orange or fall in autumn, but there's a hotdog costume for dressing up your Sims unlockable by winning the hot dog contest. No trick or treating though. Holidays are not in the game.)

The Sims 4 Vacation
- Let your Sims go on holiday!
SimGuruFreezerBunny:(No new worlds. Sims can travel to the other exisiting worlds for their holidays as they can in the base game, but they now have to pay flight costs to do so. No swimming in the ocean in this game since swimming is only possible with "The Sims 4 Get yer' Swimsuit On" Expansion Pack. Hotels are limited to one per world and aren't customisable.)

The Sims 4 Apartment Life
- Your Sims can now live in apartments again!
SimGuruFreezerBunny:(Only one apartment per lot. They function identically to The Sims 3 Late Night apartmnets.)

The Sims 4 Open for Business!
- Your Sims can now own businesses!
SimGuruFreezerBunny:(Sims can purchase community lots and receive revenue each week, but cannot actually run them in person)

The Sims 4 Toddler Life
- Play with your young Sims in the ALL NEW toddler life stage! Yay!
SimGuruFreezerBunny:(Cribs, high-chairs, buggies, and Wugglesworth Schuggles Bear not included. All downloadable preminum content from The Sims 4 Store.)

The Sims 4 Get yer' Swimsuit on!
- For the first time EVER, Sims in Willow Creek can swim in the all new swimming pool!
SimGuruFreezerBunny:(Three swimsuits per gender. Child sims cannot swim in the pool. Diving board downloadable from The Sims 4 Store. Nothing else is included in this pack apart from swimming pools and costumes).

The Sims 4: Chair Stuff
- Your Sims can finally own chairs in The Sims 4!
SimGuruFreezerBunny : (After removing chairs from the base game one day prior to launch to save CD space, fans will be delighted to know that we've dedicated an entire stuff pack to chairs!)

2. http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/760404.page
katiealexandraa said:
5 more Stuff Packs to be revealed tomorrow.

Also worth noting, Expansion Packs will cost $55. EA has added Stuff Packs to the lineup, at $40 each.

Stuff Pack #1 - Toilets!
No longer will your sim have to pee their pants! Do to time restraints, we had to keep toilets out of the base game, but now your sims can sit on a toilet as much as they like!
- Included is 1 toilet, however 8 more can be purchased from The Sims 4 Store.

Stuff Pack #2 - Kids Stuff! part 1
Your Kids will now have more stuff to do! Again, do to time restraints, no interactions for kids were added to the base game, but this stuff pack will change that! Now your children can connect with other sims in an emotional way. Instead of before, where they had to stand in the same spot unable to move!
- Kids can only interact with adult sims, not other kids.
- Kids can now use some base game items (ie. beds)
- No new items are included, but can be purchased from The Sims 4 Store.

Stuff Pack #3 - Kids Stuff part 2
Your kids can now play! No longer will they just stand around with nothing to do, they can spend their days playing!
- Included is 1 toy for children. Others can be purchased from The Sims 4 Store.
- Must have 'Kids Stuff! part 1' to install.

Stuff Pack #4 - Halloween!
We heard fans disappointment with holidays being removed from the Seasons EP, so we decided to do something about it!
- Included is 1 female costume and 1 male costume, each costume can be used for teens, adults, and elders.
- No Halloween holiday is included, just the costumes.

Stuff Pack #5 - Pepsi! ($45)
We have collaborated with Pepsi! Your sims can now get Pepsi from the fridge or from a bar, now they can drink more than just water!
- Pepsi looks the same as glass of water, but will make your sims emotion change to happy!

For god's sakes:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136279-EA-Unveils-Sims-4-Premium-Membership

" Become a Premium member to get early access to three new packs, with exclusive items. Your Sims can throw a spooky costume party, camp in the great outdoors, and toast to the new year in style"

Why am I surprised? They're forcing people who don't want stuff crap into the same pool with those who don't want gameplay expansions.
And I honestly wanted to buy this game, I did.
NO BUY! Go scam someone else bloodsuckers!

vz9g87.png

I'm gonna repost this on The Sims forum, I don't care if they ban me!

While not many are interested into my neverstopping EA rants, I just can't help it.

After turning on my PC, and as you already know Origin on my machine is automatically starting with windows, it spammed me with yet another splashscreen advertisment.

This:
11lpvzs.jpg

It takes you here:
http://www.thesims.com/rewards/en_US/

And there, when you log in, says this, I'll bold the most important thing:
HOW DOES IT WORK? Unlock The Sims™ 4 Rewards bonus digital content in The Sims 4 by owning and registering your copy of The Sims 3 PC and each of The Sims 3 Expansion Packs. You'll automatically receive your rewards in The Sims 4 when the game launches in September 2014. Your rewards will be waiting for you in your Build Mode catalogue when you launch The Sims 4 for the first time! There’s a total of 13 rewards to unlock!

Dear Mary mother of Jesus.
After bullshit pay2win mass effect DLC that counts in your war assets, I'm seeing practically the same thing again!?
Shall I offer them my other cheek to slap? Oh, and how about I drop my pants while we're at it?

I can't believe this I just can't.
Guys please tell me I'm dreaming.

If you must know, I don't have Generations, Seasons, Into the Future and University. So it now says "Success! You unlocked 8 of 13 rewards in The Sims™ 4." and looks like this on my side:
http://i60.tinypic.com/v762kw.jpg
And in order not to miss something in Sims 4 (assuming I'll buy it, but as things now stand, I won't) I should buy 4 expansions that are of no interest to me at all?
This is a disaster. Please tell me there is some law that allows sueing them for discrimination or something. Just please.

One thing is sure. My day just got ruined.

Think Thrasher. Please. Think!

In a few months, DA3.
Who says you won't be getting crapload of content based on DA:O and DA2 DLC you've bought? Or better said, you DON'T get everything because yea, you do have all DA:O DLC, but you refused to buy DA2 DLC?

Oh and ME4 next or in a two years? Weeee, you bought all ME1/2/3 DLC, you get bonus stuff, those who didn't buy them all, to hell with them, they're unworthy!

While not many are interested into my neverstopping EA rants, I just can't help it.

After turning on my PC, and as you already know Origin on my machine is automatically starting with windows, it spammed me with yet another splashscreen advertisment.

This:
11lpvzs.jpg

It takes you here:
http://www.thesims.com/rewards/en_US/

And there, when you log in, says this, I'll bold the most important thing:

Dear Mary mother of Jesus.
After bullshit pay2win mass effect DLC that counts in your war assets, I'm seeing practically the same thing again!?
Shall I offer them my other cheek to slap? Oh, and how about I drop my pants while we're at it?

I can't believe this I just can't.
Guys please tell me I'm dreaming.

If you must know, I don't have Generations, Seasons, Into the Future and University. So it now says "Success! You unlocked 8 of 13 rewards in The Sims™ 4." and looks like this on my side:
http://i60.tinypic.com/v762kw.jpg
And in order not to miss something in Sims 4 (assuming I'll buy it, but as things now stand, I won't) I should buy 4 expansions that are of no interest to me at all?
This is a disaster. Please tell me there is some law that allows sueing them for discrimination or something. Just please.

One thing is sure. My day just got ruined.

Why don't you just boycott EA games like me and stop setting yourself up for these dissapointments ?

Well I should be in good shape then, despite not having all the pretties you have.
You have more multiplayer pretties than me - I stopped caring when I saw it's taxevade gambling like boxes in star trek online. Not sure how come noone sued them for not paying gambling taxes in ME3 MP and phonegame Dragon Age.

Why don't you just boycott EA games like me and stop setting yourself up for these dissapointments ?
Because while EA's publisher practices should IMO cease to exist and declared as illegal as it's focused on scamming, not all games they sell are bad.

Sims Medieval for example since the thread is about Sims. You can buy it for cheap (don't use Steam, they keep some oddly high price) and it has only one expansion (DLC) that really adds plenty of gameplay content. Sadly, no lots/housebuild mode, timed quests and grindbased achievements killed it. But it's still a good game that can keep you entertained for days, it has an epic music OST, it has no multiplayer/onlinestore/socialnetwork crap and nothing about it was a scam.

In case anyone is still interested…

Official Sims board is being upgraded. Probably into some spying and ads spamming monstruosity, but well…
The word is that Sims 4 create a sim demo leaked, but also that it'll be officially available to everyone in two days anyway. Dunno if any of that is true, nor care, but it'll be a sad day if we don't make Shepard with this thing in Mass Effect 4:

Longer version where you can see some EA idiocies like "laptop mode" and whatnot, god I wish they go bankrupt already:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpfNetrLM9c

I hate interacting with people in general, which is funny as I am our Companies best outside sales Rep and I am not even an outside sales Rep.

Why did I post here again, oh ya ...Zero interest in any game like this ....

Yea well I'm sorry, but I just have to play Shepard that's presented at 2:58-3:00 in that vid up there.
Kinda nails his (her?) charm.

EDIT:
I can't get that pic out of my mind. The only solution is to make it a temporary avatar!
:evilgrin:

Last edited:
The rumor was true. Character creation demo is available for everyone to try on Origin in demos&betas section.

And I thought I won't have anything to do till friday… :)

Back
Top Bottom