RPGWatch Feature: Most Promising RPG of 2011

I suppose I am a snob but well I looked at editors list:
1 Drakensang: The River of Time 27,4
2 Venetica 24,2
3 Eschalon Book 2 17,7
4 Fallout: New Vegas 12,9

I'd say a more funny one.
It's just a list, which about sums up its value. For all we know Dragon Age 2 turns out to be an awesome RPG and makes it Best RPG of 2011 :D

Wow is all I have to say about the editors choices. Frayed nights looks great and so does the witcher...but venetica? seriously?

I would have Skyrim way above Venetica. Not to mention for the gamers choice AoD over any of the big name ones? Did you even play the combat demo they had?

A quick comment on editors' choices. There are only a handful of us, so it doesn't have the same statistical weight as the public vote. We also let everyone vote freely - we didn't discuss what the "right" choices would be for RPGWatch as a site. So, we have our quirks like most people, and that shows in the vote.

As Dhruin wrote, it was just a poll. Every editor voted for the games he is most excited about - and if you see the same newsbits about big budget game XXX every week it's really hard to get excited about it, even if you know the game will be great.

At least 3 editors have already played Venetica - and say almost exclusively good things about it. The forum reports here on RPGWatch are also very positive, although there is some criticism too. So Venetica belongs on that list. The fact that most international reviews slaughter it says more about the reviewers and the sites who pay them than about the game.

Sorry, I should have explained what I meant.

I wasn't referring to how Venetica is perceived, It's just that I thought it had already been available prior to 2011 in most places.

I wasn't referring to how Venetica is perceived, It's just that I thought it had already been available prior to 2011 in most places.

Not true.

You've participated in the discussion thread. The criterion was an English language release in the UK or US.

Having only played Gothic 2 NotR last year I didn't take part in the poll. But right now I'm playing Drakensang TRoT. Not finished yet. So regarding Most Promising RPG of 2011 I vote:
1. Drakensang TRoT!
2. Drakensang TRoT!
3. Drakensang TRoT!

:p

Is Risen 2 coming out this year? If so, that would go straight to the top of my list. Yes, I know we have had pretty much no information about the game, but it's from my favorite PC RPG developer, so my expectations are quite high. If Piranha could combine some of the ambition from Gothic 3 with the refinement and polish of Risen...

Kay

I agree mostly with the choices. Elder Scrolls V, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and Witcher 2, I think these top the list. Its possible Witcher 2 and Deus Ex could disappoint I feel, but we will see.

I also have heard a lot of good things about Drakensang: The River of Time. I plan on getting that once I get a new computer.

I've heard nothing definite about R2, especially for 2011, so I'd suspect it might be top of the list for 2012 along with Grimoire!! :)

I would say I'm the most excited for The Witcher 2 and Deus Ex. I'm interested to see how stable Skyrim is before I play it, and I'll be watching to see if ME3 completely jumps the shark (what I'm betting) or if it actually manages to pull the rest of the series together. Actually, I'm most interested in seeing what kind of flame wars erupt over ME3...

Went with witcher 2 followed by skyrim, river of time is a treat for those who have yet to play it. Know exactly what to expect from DA2+ME3, can't say I'm excited. DE3 can end up halfway between invisible war and alpha procol, not a good thing in my book.
Venetica...hah!

Wow is all I have to say about the editors choices. Frayed nights looks great and so does the witcher…but venetica? seriously?
Woo what's wrong with Venetica?

You are an avid fan waiting impatiently Elder Scroll 11, seriously? :)

...I also have heard a lot of good things about Drakensang: The River of Time. I plan on getting that once I get a new computer.
On my computer it performs better than the Witcher 1 and as well than DAO/Awakening.

It's just a list, which about sums up its value. For all we know Dragon Age 2 turns out to be an awesome RPG and makes it Best RPG of 2011 :D
Yeah I know predicting game release quality is… just a game, even if you end be right it won't be a proof of your supposed divine talent of prediction. :)

Woo what's wrong with Venetica?

You are an avid fan waiting impatiently Elder Scroll 11, seriously? :)

Venetica vs Skyrim Ah, nevermind. we`ve been through this before :)

But:
Venetica vs Drakensang/Dead State/ Deus Ex…really?

Not a bad list though, maybe apart from DA2 which is dead to me.

Shame I don`t dig "humour' in my Rpg`s, otherwise Frayed Knights sounds great.
(Also: Twisted Metal? Man, you`re hero :)

Back
Top Bottom