Final Fantasy

What is Your Favorit Final Fantasy game?

• Total voters
Grr, i want a new FF Tactics for the PS2 (handheld gaming is not my cup of tea). The job system is still unmatched (Nippon Ichi, hear me ?).

My favorite one is the 1st.

I completed it twice. This was quite a feat since I never had done so before for any other game...

The 10th one was quite good also. Also completed it twice.
I loved playing Blitzball unlike some of the other users here.
I played at least 30 hours doing so.
I thought this mini game was missing options though.

Anyway, I secretely wish that EA sports would make a Blitzball game with a blend of Bloodbowl. That would make my day!!! Or that they would make a Bloodbowl version on a console or PC. Now that would be great!

Watch out Wakka, those two goblins over there are holding chainsaws behind their backs! Don't know how'd they manage to swim anywhere but what the hell, that's for the designers to figure out. Im just a player... heheheh.

Final Fantasy VI originally for the SNES would probably be my pick.

Mine too. Most of the characters were enjoyable. Not having a group of kid/ teenager emo/metro-sexual heroes that use an unhealthy amount of hairspray goes a long way. The setting - Victorian steampunk, was definitely cool and a first for me when I played FF6. It really should be used more in games. (Arcanum and Thief are the only other two that come to mind) Some of the sub plots were actually better than the main story. (Phantom Train) Also the opera scene is really fun.

Those middle games(IV, V, VI) in the series are classics. After FF 7 the series started to get weird. Too many cinematics to watch and not enough gameplay.

I have a few games that I plan to play through, but after that Final Fantasy VII-IX is planned on a PS emulator. Like some other people here I have never played a Final Fantasy game. I do not own any consoles though.

I am not sure what to do with Final Fantasy III. If I should play it on SNES or if I should wait for a proper DS emulator.

I currently have 4 games I wish to play on a PS2: Metal Gear Solid 3 and Fatal Frame 1-3. If I manage to get through FF 3 & 7-9 before PCSX2 works good enough, I might end up buying a PS2 or even a PS3 since I want to play Metal Gear Solid 4 as well.

I am not sure what to do with Final Fantasy III. If I should play it on SNES or if I should wait for a proper DS emulator.

This brings up the question of ownership rights. (not piracy, I don't even want to go there).

For example, if you own the original FFIII, are you therefore entitled to:
(a) Use that exact version in an emulator on any system you choose?
(b) Use an emulator to play subsequent ports of that game that you have downloaded?
(c) Do (b) even if significant additions and/or changes have been made?

I am also thinking of Final Fantasy I & II - they were for the NES, and then re-released on the PSx at some point, then put out for the GBA in amazing editions with loads of added stuff, and finally they're coming for the PSP later this year with completely refreshed graphics and remastered sound (and supposedly a couple more extras). Does having bought the NES games give you universal lifelong rights to play any FF I & II ever released on any system?

Actually, FFIII was not an SNES game anyways, it was an Famicom game that was never officially translated to English until the DS version.

Unless you're referring to FFVI which was released in America under the title of FFIII for the Super Nintendo, and later re-released for the PS1 and Gameboy Advance under it's proper name.

Also iirc the PS1 and GBA versions of FF I&II are identical except for an extra bonus dungeon in the GBA versions.

Final Fantasy Tactics A2: The Sealed Grimoire is supposedly for the DS by popular belief.

This brings up the question of ownership rights (not piracy, I don't even want to go there).

Since I am a swede, my opinion is that you do what you feel is right and that's pretty much it.

Does *nobody* want to actually give an answer!??!

Personally, I have no idea, hence, no answer. ;) My guess though is that you have to pay for everything the industry wants to charge you for, that is to say, every little "new" edition they can come up with. Like with movies.. there's classic versions, remastered, director's cut, VHS, DVD, Blue-Ray, HD-DVD and whatnot.

What's certain though is that digital rights, at least in Germany and probably elsewhere too, are one big uncertain mess, since the Internet is still such a young medium, relatively speaking, and evolves too quickly for the lawmakers to catch up with. Just a couple days ago there was an article in German computer magazine c't about reselling. According to law, physical mediums may be resold indefinitely, because once a copyright holder puts a certain item in circulation (or rather: sells it), his right concerning the distribution of said item expires. But what about pure electronic downloads? Licenses? The law is so old that new license models or downloads weren't even thought of at the time of the law's conception. So some company sued a reselling company for copyright infringement or somesuch. One court in the south said they were right. Another court in the north had to decide about a similar case and said they (the other court) were wrong in the first place. And the highest court that can actually clarify everything doesn't seem to be in a hurry to do so.

On topic, since I only really played FF on the GameBoy a couple years ago, that's the one I voted for. ;)

Last edited:
I've never played any FF. A friend of mine was playing on the PS2, FF7 maybe??
Anyways it looked like a movie that you occasionally interacted with. Were they all like that? Just did not look like fun to me.

I've never played any FF. A friend of mine was playing on the PS2, FF7 maybe??
Anyways it looked like a movie that you occasionally interacted with. Were they all like that? Just did not look like fun to me.

That is exactly why I've stopped playing that series. I played all of them through FFIX and just a few hours of FFX. I have to admit that I didn't really enjoy them after FF 7 and even that game was nowhere near as good as the previous 3.

I know that Japanese RPG's tend to focus more on the story but some of them are getting just ridiculous with the cinematics.

IMHO FF IV, V, and VI were the golden age of that series.

back in the days when i had a playstation 96-99 i played vii, viii and tactics which would definately appeal to the turn-based fans as it was much more 'english' style turn based with lots of combat and movement. the story in tactics wasn't as involved/evolved but it offered alot more replayability. i think my favourite thing about vii or viii though was the snowboarding minigame. the games were addictive for sure but i doubt i will ever have the desire to play them again. for me though cg/cutscenses have me hooked quite well with the 'carrot on the stick' approach as they are usually motivation enough for me to keep playing so i can be 'rewarded'. honestly i would have never played diablo 2 had it not been for the cutscenes which i watched completely even through all the different characters. i have yet to see either of the final fantasy movies for some reason though...

edit:
wow, no one else liked eight. from what i recall it wasn't as epic as vii but for some reason i liked the characters better, or was it the setting

edit ii:
personally i don't see cg as anything but a plus, though i suppose if they skimp on gameplay at its expense. for example the resident evil series would not nearly have had the impact or horror effect had they not employed the use of timely and well done cg movies. that was one of the things that had made me a console gamer in the cd-rom era because a lot of console games especially the japanese ones had such intense cg scenses. the parasite eve games for example are probably 2 of my all time favourite console games. survival horror and rpg fused together...mmm.

Last edited:
I liked VIII, especially the split-parties-and-timelines-approach, but for some reason I remember more of VII which got me emotionally evolved.

I'm playing VI right now and it is the best one I have played to date - there are still loads of random battles, but compared to III on the DS they really speed along. Nice stuff.

I'm playing VI right now and it is the best one I have played to date - there are still loads of random battles, but compared to III on the DS they really speed along. Nice stuff.

I have many fond memories of FF VI, how far along are you? I haven't played any of the older FF games in years and I'm thinking about getting a GBA+FFVI for a long plane trip I have coming in June. You're playing on GBA right?

Really hard to pick just ONE! My favoriteS are: FF 9, FF 6, and FF 4.

FF7 probably gets a nod too but I would have to replay it - only played it once when it came out and I remember being blown away by it at the time (like most) but also being confused a bit by some of the story and hating the length of Summons.

I have to say I really love the GBA editions of 4/5/6 - portable FF, what more could you ask for? (Well, portable Baldur's Gate 2 or Daggerfall would be nice!). These look great on the bright DS screen, colors pop nicely.
I've also been playing the FF3 remake for the DS and loving it so far.

As a whole, I think the FF series is great - the only game I really didn't like was FF8. I played it to ALMOST the end twice but just never finished it. Also tried to replay it a 3rd time and couldn't get into it. The story was weak, combat system was dull, none of the characters were very memorable. It just wasn't much fun.

FF9 on the other hand was a joy. The characters were charming, the art design was retro (reminiscent of earlier games) but extremely well done and the battle system as I remember it was fun and not tedious. This game to me felt more like the earlier games (FF1-6) but updated with modern 3D graphics. To me the "quasi-medeival" setting is just more fun than the futuristic setting in FF7/8 and the later games. And the earlier games could be serious but also lighthearted at times.

FF9 was the last one in the series for me though so no idea how the PS2 games were.

Also, Final Fantasy Tactics is one of my favorite games ever, period. Loved the combat in that game and the music was amazing. FFT Advance was a huge dissapointment on the other hand.

Last edited:
I have to say I really love the GBA editions of 4/5/6 - portable FF, what more could you ask for? (Well, portable Baldur's Gate 2 or Daggerfall would be nice!). These look great on the bright DS screen, colors pop nicely.

I am amazed at how gorgeous FF 6 looks on that little screen, and the music is fantastic ... amazing for such an 'old' system!

Back
Top Bottom