Planescape Torment

The other thing that put me off, is the fact that towards the end part of the game, there was this feel that the game was unfinished (including the quite open ending that should have included the "To be continued" sight).

Planescape: Torment ends perfectly. The actual story being told is complete. You don't need to know how TNO fares in the Blood Wars. Where Morte ends up without the TNO around, etc... That would be a different story, or a tale for another time (I hope not though). Torment, other than the meaning, was about TNO discovering who he was, has been, and finally accepting his fate brought on by the final encounter with his mortality. Dragging the story on further would lessen the experience.

Planescape Torment is one of the truly great games of all time. There is a ton of reading (and even more than a ton if you want to read all of it) and it's not 100% classic fantasy (although it's close enough for me) plus if you are in sort of a hurry you can rush through sections and not get nearly the enjoyment out of it so it's certainly not for everyone's tastes.

In my opinion it is not only the story that feels unfinished - the whole game after Ravel's Maze just feels unfinished. Sorta like Lionheart, if you played it, after the first part that has you running around doing stuff suddenly all you do is hack stuff on the head with a stick, to say figuratively.

I think Planescape: Torment has some of the best endings ever, in any game. The first time I completed the game, I openly wept at how bittersweet it was. I was desperate for an ending like, "you and Annah escape without any negative consequences and oh by the way, Deionarra's cool about everything." But that would have been cheap. I knew TNO had to make a sacrifice.

The next few times I played, I tried, with the help of a strategy guide, to achieve all the different ending combinations. I particularly liked the all-dialogue ending that you can get if your INT is over 22. I also liked fighting at the end, but only when I was a spellcaster. The game gave me an extra high-level spell or two right before the battle (I don't know if that's part of the path or if others got the spells much earlier in the game). I loved casting them, seeing the huge animations, feeling like I was really devastating my enemy. I just felt like power was seething out from TNO.

Anyway, I think there are something like 6 or 7 ways you can get to the end, but only 3 different ending animations. What a great game. I miss it.

In my opinion it is not only the story that feels unfinished - the whole game after Ravel's Maze just feels unfinished. Sorta like Lionheart, if you played it, after the first part that has you running around doing stuff suddenly all you do is hack stuff on the head with a stick, to say figuratively.

Comparing PS:T to Lionheart ... dunno about that ...

I think Planescape: Torment has some of the best endings ever, in any game. The first time I completed the game, I openly wept at how bittersweet it was. I was desperate for an ending like, "you and Annah escape without any negative consequences and oh by the way, Deionarra's cool about everything." But that would have been cheap. I knew TNO had to make a sacrifice.

The next few times I played, I tried, with the help of a strategy guide, to achieve all the different ending combinations. I particularly liked the all-dialogue ending that you can get if your INT is over 22. I also liked fighting at the end, but only when I was a spellcaster. The game gave me an extra high-level spell or two right before the battle (I don't know if that's part of the path or if others got the spells much earlier in the game). I loved casting them, seeing the huge animations, feeling like I was really devastating my enemy. I just felt like power was seething out from TNO.

Anyway, I think there are something like 6 or 7 ways you can get to the end, but only 3 different ending animations. What a great game. I miss it.

I cried at the ending too. I also used a guide because I didn't want to miss anything. I really need to replay it. I installed it again a couple of months ago and the graphics have held up fairly well (to me anyway)

Celeste

My question to you is: How is the story unfinished? Your claim, the burden of proof is on you.

In regards to the post Ravel game: In a lot of ways I agree, Curst could have been a lot better, and there could have been less combat, but by then your 3/4ths of the way through the game.

Quite a strange and quirky experience indeed, but one of the good ones IMHO. Defintely a unique game.

Never finished it unfortunately, I need to start the whole thing over from scratch.

Probably you all know about this, but for anybody who's starting over with PS:T or playing it for the first time, check out this site for some good fix/restoration packs and patches: http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/Torment/index_mods.php
They can prevent some bugs and also bring out some of the stuff that was not implemented but is right there in the code. Good luck with that and enjoy!

Oh, thanks fpr the tip :). Haven't replayed PS:T in a long time... I'd say it's about time now!
I loved the game because I was able to talk my way out of a situation instead of having to fight. Don't get me wrong, I like combat-oriented games, too, but I also like to be able to choose how to deal with a situation.
And I liked the game's unique atmosphere.

I've installed and restarted a few times over the past couple of years, but never gotten that far, for no good reason. I really want to get back to play it again, it is on my 'after DMM&M, NWN2 & G3' list.

Probably you all know about this, but for anybody who's starting over with PS:T or playing it for the first time, check out this site for some good fix/restoration packs and patches: http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/Torment/index_mods.php
They can prevent some bugs and also bring out some of the stuff that was not implemented but is right there in the code. Good luck with that and enjoy!

Damn that patch sounds intriguing... Must... resist... another... restart........

As slam23 said, the best description I've heard for PS:T is interactive novel.
And the interactive part is where it truly shines--you have all the traditional elements of computer games--puzzles, stats, boss fights, leveling, pretty impressive shiny-graphics spells for the time, plus the added benefit/desparate need of sifting through your NPC's minds trying to uncover the clue to your own mystery.

Every RPG board ever has this Planescape nostalgia thread--for the reason that it is the one game that plays you as much as you play it. I agree there is an unfinished quality to it, but that gives the imagination a freer reign as well. I am almost afraid to play it over--the first time seems unbeatable to me, too.

Thx for the link slam, that's really going to help.
PS:T is definitely on the short list now along with WH40k:WA&DC (dont you just love game acronyms?), I just have to wait until this blurry vision subsides...

Hopefully I can get back to some serious gaming in a week or so.

PS:T is one of my all time favourite RPGs, only bypassed by Gothic and two other Black Isle titles - Baldurs Gate 1 and 2. What I love about the game are the interesting characters and the unique setting, it feels different from other games instead of just "more of the same old".

To me, it's refreshing to play a game which takes a book-sort-of-approach on storytelling and descriptions. Makes it more immersive and easier to actually roleplay, which should be essential in any roleplaying game(that's what RPG is short for, for all those who consider xp the foundation of RPGs), but is somehow overlooked in 90% of RPGs.

I still go back to PS:T from time to time, although not as often as BG2. It's a great game, and I wish there were more like it. :)

Planescape: Torment ends perfectly. The actual story being told is complete. You don't need to know how TNO fares in the Blood Wars. Where Morte ends up without the TNO around, etc... That would be a different story, or a tale for another time (I hope not though). Torment, other than the meaning, was about TNO discovering who he was, has been, and finally accepting his fate brought on by the final encounter with his mortality. Dragging the story on further would lessen the experience.

<SNIP>

I totally agree. The ending of Torment sendt shivers down my spine, and I almost wept as well. Torment was really a game with athmosphere; the intro, the music, the story, the characters, the ending. Damn, hope I will see another game like it in my lifetime..

Thanks for the link. Should I install the Torment Fix Pack then the Restoration Pack? I was only going to install the Fix Pack originally.

I plucked this of Sorcerers' place forums:

"On the subject of compatibility:

I've had a look at the files that are common between the Restoration Pack and Platter's Fixpack. Almost all of the common files say "bug fixed by Platter" in their description in the Restoration Pack. In fact some of them are exactly identical. Those that are not usually have an extra component in the Restoration Pack. Therefore, I'm guessing it should be safe to install both and not mess up anything. Here's my recommended install order:

1. Install the game (obviously)
2. Offical 1.1 patch
3. Platter's Fixpack, overwrite all files
4. Restoration Pack, overwrite all files.

(alternatively you could install Restoration first, then NOT overwrite any file when you install Platter's. This is important because Platter's will replace one of Morte's dialog files, which will end up being incompatible with the other dialog files. Not sure if this will mess the game up, but it potentially could, so don't do it!)

(EDIT: Alternative NOT recommended, because by not replacing files when installing Platter's you will miss out on all the original files the Fixpack is meant to replace, including ones added by the official patch. Therefore, sticking to the install order above is best IMO)

I'm almost sure that both Packs are 100% compatible with both the Candlestick Quest and the Armor mod, since neither Pack touches any of the files added by the Quest or the Armor mod.

Assuming we're going for an all-mod fest:
1. Install the game (obviously)
2. Offical 1.1 patch
3. Platter's Fixpack, overwrite all files
4. Restoration Pack, overwrite all files
5. Armor mod
6. Candlestick Quest

(I'm guessing you could install the Candlestick Quest any time, but it's absolutely vital to install Restoration BEFORE the Armor mod. Restoration replaces DIALOG.TLK, and Armor is an IAP self extracting mod, so order is critical)

Note that this is pure speculation. I haven't tried this yet, and do not guarantee it'll work. I may do some in-game experiments with it next week, if I get some free time. But, considering each Pack is a set of unrelated components, there's no reason why intalling things as I've outlined above will not work.
"

Edit: if you also want to install the G3 tweak pack it supposedly goes last. I personally think it makes some things to easy on the player, especially allowing to rest anywhere.

Don't shoot me if you have to reinstall though ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, slam23. I did notice a couple of files from the Restoration pack that were a few weeks older than the ones in the FixPack, but I'll take my chances.

Now I just have to find the time to play this masterpiece...

Back
Top Bottom