My RPG drought.

Dray

Watcher
My favourite RPG of all time was the Ultima VII set (part 1 & 2). I've been waiting for a role playing game to come out that captured me as much as U7 did.

The U7 world offered levels of interactivity which I believe still haven't been matched today. All the game objects could be used in many different ways. The storyline was great, the party members fun. You had a backpack that had 'stuff' in it; you actually had to dig through it to find your little keys, potions, scrolls, etc. People in your party got hungry and cold and needed your attention. Some say this turns the game into a sim, but I disagree. Personally I feel that these elements help to bring about a more realistic role playing game. Can't get through a door? Blow it up!

Is there anyone out there who understands what I mean, and if so, can you tell me whether Oblivion or Gothic 3 is our ticket outta this drought? I have hopes with Divinity II, Dragon Age. Perhaps even NWN II.

Unfortunately I haven't played anything to come out in the past 6 or so months. Since updating to a fancy 24" widescreen LCD, my PC hasn't been up to scratch and even the most potent graphics hardware couldn't run Oblivion at my native resolution of 1920 x 1200 with good frame rates. So I choose to abstain until hardware is released that can (crossfire R600 anyone?). I never really got into the ES series anyway, mainly because the first person view doesn't do it for me. Isometric is better in my opinion.

The Baulders Gate and spin-off games were ok, but there wasn't the immersion in the world that U7 offered. Divinity was good, but lacked… something. To be honest it’s been so long since I’ve played Divinity that I can’t recall what it was I didn’t like about it. I never made it right through though.

Perhaps Ultima VII isn’t as good as I remember it, perhaps it’s just a memory that's been embellished over time that now stands higher than it ever could have without the years of reflection I've had. Then again, with so many people out there who believe that Ultima as a series is hands down the best of all time, perhaps my memories aren’t so fanciful after all...

Dray.

OK, DEFINITELY get hold of Lazarus. Closest thing to U7 in a LONG time!! G3 is closer than Oblivion, but neither are really U7 like!! I'll think more about this for tomorrow, it's 11:30 pm here!!

Aye, the Gothic series is the only modern series which can hold a candle to the older games in terms of living game world.

I hadn't thought of trying out Lazarus. I'll give that a go - thanks for the tip!

If you find you enjoy Lazarus, then check out the U6 project. Their recent M2 demo is very encouraging!!

I keep hoping that one day Richard Garriot will proclaim that he has purchased all the rights to Ultima and intends to revive the series to it's former glory.

Last edited:
That will never happen, but Laz and the U6 (Project Brittania) guys are the closest it will come!!

wasn't there a martian ultima? i seem to remember wanting to play it long ago

Yep, SE was a great game, but I didn't enjoy MD as much, though some people thought it was fantastic. I just got tired of the sameness of the landscape.

Also, while a very different feel from the Ultimas, you might try Wizardry 7 - if you can get past the dated graphics. Good story, real choices with consequences, very good combat, and all the statistics a hard-core RPGer could want.

Wiz 7 is available for download too now, and runs quite well in Dosbox. I replayed it last year and enjoyed it more than when I struggled with it years ago!! :) I've learn't a lot since then!!

Corwin, what did you do to make W7 run in dosbox ? It's the only game I was never able to have running with db (besides System Shock 1). There's a faq or something at abandonia I think but it's too convoluted for me. Is it the beard ? :p

I replayed SS1 in DB last year too. My son configured it for me, he's a computer geek!!

SM, when are you going to give us an exclusive insider view of Ashes, instead of just teasing us!! :)

Back
Top Bottom