The Witcher 2 - Preview @ G4

aries100

SasqWatch
G4 made a preview of the Witcher 2 - Assasins of Kings, based on what the demo they saw at GamesCom. Since we probably all know the content of the demo, here's something about CDP's projects enthusiasm while showing the demo.
What We're Seeing Now:

While I don't want this to turn into a review of the Gamescom presentation, rather than a preview of The Witcher 2 itself, it is important to mention how enthusiastic and entertaining the development team was at the show. People get tired at gaming shows and both developers and journalists can lose interest pretty quickly, but CD Projekt's energy was infectious. Despite it being the end of the day, the five-or-six strong presentation team ran through their clearly rehearsed, but genuinely funny, performance as if it was the first time.

This sort of passion for their product is made even more obvious when they start describing the improvements made possible by the game's new engine. On screen is displayed a tangle of lines and nodes, stretching on horizontally seemingly forever. This is a visual representation of the game's story, showing every choice and consequence the player can make, and it is massive. It's pulled straight from the game's engine and demonstrates perfectly how they've redefined non-linearity for The Witcher 2.
More information.

I never tried the witcher before (as I disliked the overly defined protagonist and a couple of other issues I won't mention here as I would just get flamed for it) but the more I watch and read about Witcher 2 the better it sounds.

So I am eager to finally try this type of game out. It sounds like there will be a fair amount of choice and fun to the game, even if I am playing another character in the game. I have watched a lot of the footage and it looks excellent and realistic (relative to fantasy games of course).

Also nice to see a company so passionate about their game - I know a few companies who use to be like that. I hope their games continue to do well.

Hopefully not having played Witcher 1 won't be a big issue in playing the second game. Or perhaps I can try out the first version before the second comes out.

I thoroughly recommend that you do play the first game before the second, WGD. It's likely to improve your appreciation for the sequel to no end and you'll get to see exactly how the Witcher went about offering its causes and consequences and why it is celebrated in the way that it is. Particularly the second chapter, (which is probably my favourite portion of the game)

wolfgrimdark-

I just started playing the Witcher last week and am pretty much blown away by it. It's not perfect, and I share some of your reservations which is why I only picked it up last week. But I'm absolutely loving it. For $20, the latest patched edition works like a charm on my middling machine. I highly recommend it.

I'm really looking forward to W2.

Thanks - I am sold. If I am willing to gamble with Hawke I am sure Witcher will just as good, if not better. Can't beat the price either.

Going to try it out over labor day weekend.

Back
Top Bottom