RPGWatch Feature: Most Promising RPG of 2011

I see that there is some love for Dead State among the editors. Good choice. Less so among the visitors. Shame on you. ;)

2011 is looking like a great year. But then again I feel that way every year. My predictions are that 2011 will be mediocre as a whole for crpg's.

I see that there is some love for Dead State among the editors. Good choice. Less so among the visitors. Shame on you. ;)
We voted for Age of Decadence. We had at least that right, contrary to the editors. Just kidding :)

About the choices, if I can't really agree with Skyrim as "promising" game, it's democracy. The other choices are (very) good ones in my opinion, and I am happy to see Venetica there, which not unlike Alpha Protocol takes a lot of undeserved flak from the so-called professional press.

Now Witcher 2... just please don't disappoint us!

Wow...was a little surprised that there wasn't more anticipation for the new Deus Ex title. That one definitely has MY mouth watering.

So many interesting titles coming out this year, and I have yet to beat Fallout N/V...

That it´ll be released in 2011 is just extremely unlikely. It´ll get more votes next year, I´m sure :).

Editors´ Choice rather surprised me with 3rd place for Venetica and no place for Age of Decadence.

Seems like The Witcher 2 is hitting the sweet spot, hopefully it won´t disappoint.
Oh, and congrats to Rampant Coyote!

Last edited:
I think the reason is people though AoD might come out 2010... and when it didn't... people lost belief that it would come out... but I actually think it will be released 2011..... and it is probably the only real RPG being released in 2011... togheter with avadon if that is a 2011 release.

Actually I think we belief A0D will not be released in 2011, which is why it got no votes.

I think that I feel slightly irritated with Venetica having more votes than Drakensang 2 ...

But that's not my problem, I'm just a fan boy, nothing more ... ;)

Can't even remember what I voted for, but very chuffed at the suggestion that Frayed Knights is going to see the light of day in 2011. I held some hopes for AoD but thought Frayed Knights was a lot further off.

I'm so sad that Drakensang has died. I moderately enjoyed Drakensang and I'm really enjoying Drakensang: The River of Time. Being bought by a browser game company has got to be such a downer. Hopefully, the new DSA game will ease the pain a little.

I don't remember voting for most promising, but since I'm a Bethesda fanboy, that would have been a no-brainer. Skyrim is my GoTY without even opening the box.

I think that I feel slightly irritated with Venetica having more votes than Drakensang 2 …

But that's not my problem, I'm just a fan boy, nothing more … ;)

Fanboys are the plague of videogames. But well from what I played of The river of Time I can understand your irritation.

Venetica is far to have the same degree of polishing than The River of Time, but for me it is more unique and much more attaching. But well in a cold gvg confrontation I don't think it couldn't stand the comparison.

2 Mass Effect 2 18,6
4 Alpha Protocol 8,4
6 Arcania 4,2

Wow, I was sorta right!

I suppose I am a snob but well I looked at editors list:
1 Drakensang: The River of Time 27,4
2 Venetica 24,2
3 Eschalon Book 2 17,7
4 Fallout: New Vegas 12,9

I'd say a more funny one.

Wow. No pressure or anything like that... ;)

I'm thrilled and overwhelmed. Yes, Frayed Knights will release this year, by hook or by crook. I'm currently trying for summer, but as this is still a part-time venture by me, paid for by whatever I can find under the seat cushions, there are enough unknowns in there that I cannot commit to anything beyond "This year" and "When it's done." The game is fully playable right now, start-to-finish, but it still desperately needs many weeks of spit-and-polish.

The full game is going to be a lot like the Pokmor Xang pilot, from way back when. But much bigger, much more cleaned up, and a lot more... complexity? That's probably not a virtue. More DEPTH, how about that?

Wow. No pressure or anything like that… ;)

I'm thrilled and overwhelmed. Yes, Frayed Knights will release this year, by hook or by crook. I'm currently trying for summer, but as this is still a part-time venture by me, paid for by whatever I can find under the seat cushions, there are enough unknowns in there that I cannot commit to anything beyond "This year" and "When it's done." The game is fully playable right now, start-to-finish, but it still desperately needs many weeks of spit-and-polish.

The full game is going to be a lot like the Pokmor Xang pilot, from way back when. But much bigger, much more cleaned up, and a lot more… complexity? That's probably not a virtue. More DEPTH, how about that?
Let's just stick to "this year". When it's done" is for wusses! ;)

As far as I have seen, "When it's done" is simply a codephrase in the games biz that means really means, "We've got a schedule, but we can't or don't want to make it public yet."

So yeah. This year. I've got a sequel to make.

I'd say Skyrim is looking most promising.

I had issues with Oblivion, but it was massively fun, and I've had issues with every game I've ever played. Looks like they're steering Skyrim in a good direction... though frankly, I'm trying to avoid the hype-machine as much as possible. I only read the excerpts and summaries here, and rarely go to the commercial sites and read the full marketing articles.

Back
Top Bottom