After Reset - Post-Apocalyptic Myths Busted

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Black Cloud Studios new kickstarter for After Reset is off to a good start, and managed to earn $13,904 of it's $35,000 goal. The developer also has a new update.

Post-Apocalyptic Myths Busted Part I

Hi guys,

I thought to publish new video from the game in this update/news. But I feel to share that short series of articles first :)

Recently, in my work designing and analyzing concepts for another weapon from our game, I heard that there hasn't yet been a hard science fiction video game. In complete disbelief, I checked the Internet and Wikipedia. It's hard to imagine my surprise when I came up empty handed.

Yes, the international gaming community has industry standard space operas (Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Mass Effect, etc.); space westerns (are you waiting for Firefly too?); purely apocalyptic/post-apocalyptic games (Fallout, Metro, etc.); cyberpunk (Deus Ex, Syndicate, etc.); steampunk (Arcanum, Dishonored etc.); alternate history games (Command and Conquer) and more.

But it turns out that no one has yet made a completely hard science fiction game, despite the fact that since the time of H. G. Wells, it has been considered the original science fiction genre. The difference lies in its strict adherence to scientific laws firmly established at the time of writing. What really made these books stand out was their detailed scientific and technical basis and their realistic extrapolation from that.

It turns out that the relentlessly scientific approach that we've been building into every nook and cranny of our setting since the beginning has the potential to make After Reset RPG the first hard science fiction video game in history.

After discussing this discovery with our team and gaming journalists, I decided to summarize and share some of the most enduring classic myths about life after the apocalypse that we intend to do away with in our game. I remind you that this is intended for an adult audience, and in order to convince that audience of the reality and authenticity of our game, and by the same token to allow the game to really let the players immerse themselves in their characters – it needs to be truly scientifically convincing as well as being based on facts and real world experience.

Well, what are we waiting for? Pour yourself a glass of something cold, lean back in your chair and enjoy…
More information.

It certainly is a genre that isn't over done. There aren't many sci-fi games, and even fewer good ones. Best one that I recall playing was Buck Rogers back in the day, and perhaps the first Mass Effect. Bring on the hard science fiction.

Those post-apocalyptic tropes certainly are irritating, though they bother me more in movies than games. The idea that anyone is going to be driving a vehicle bigger than a dirtbike in an urban (or suburban) area is ridiculous. The roads are going to be regularly obstructed with dead vehicles. And of course the idea that gasoline is going to be available forever, as he says in the article.

Waiting for the demo then I'm backing this thing. Will be around the 20th probably, when my money arrives.

I am pleased to read your comments, guys. They really inspire to do more :)

Have to say after reading this I am likely to back this project. The world needs a realistic sci-fi RPG. I actually stopped watching Walking Dead because of the nonsensical plot elements (and cardboard characters)

I backed this today. I read both the Myth's Busted Posts they put out and though it showed that they have really thought about the setting and world they are trying to design. I really hope they reach their goal.

Thank you, mates.

Back
Top Bottom