Total War: Warhammer - PC Gamer Review

Aubrielle

Noveliste
PC Gamer reviews Total War: Warhammer and gives it an impressive 86.

<blockquote style="text-align: justify;">Dwarfs line the walls of the Everpeak, weapons ready. They fire bolt and lead at the incoming Orcs, but to the Giant lummoxing forward at the head of the green horde it may as well be a light smither of rain. The Giant crashes into the gates, stumbles back and crashes into them again. It bursts through to be faced by massed units of Longbeards, fearless Dwarf veterans, who mob the Giant like dogs harassing an elephant.

They win, because in the rock, paper, scissors of Total War: Warhammer the Longbeards' immunity to psychological effects makes them good at fighting fear-causing Giants. Slayers would be even better as they have the Anti-Large trait as well as Unbreakable, but this is a game where paper can beat scissors so long as there's enough of it.

Moldy Old World

Until now Total War has recreated historical eras, and so the tactics have been based on simplified versions of real-world tactics, whether deployed by Rome or Napoleon. Cavalry flank and race ahead to attack missile units before they get too many shots off; spears defend and resist cavalry charges; missile units pour volleys into dense infantry units as they slowly advance. Here, things are more complicated.

The Warhammer World is a fantasy setting, one loosely based on Renaissance Europe but with the fiction of J. R. R. Tolkien, Michael Moorcock, H. P. Lovecraft and Fritz Leiber funnelled into it through industrial pipes while copies of 2000 AD and heavy metal album covers are scattered on top. It's a mish-mash of everything someone at Games Workshop ever thought was cool, and it's both familiar and really weird.

[/quote]More.

More information.

In every Total War game I've played, I quickly got to the point where the combat bored me out of my mind. In the early games, it was easy to just auto-solve combat and still do well, but in recent games, the losses are often too great at that point. Do we know anything about how that works here? Is it roughly fair, or is the AI replacing the player still a total dimwit?

In every Total War game I've played, I quickly got to the point where the combat bored me out of my mind. In the early games, it was easy to just auto-solve combat and still do well, but in recent games, the losses are often too great at that point. Do we know anything about how that works here? Is it roughly fair, or is the AI replacing the player still a total dimwit?
Basically the game is rigged against you if all you do is use auto-combat.

Hint: Auto-Resolve heavily favors numbers & turn down battle difficulty.

Back
Top Bottom