Artifact Red-X - A Hybrid RPG/TB Strategy Game

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Artifact Red-X is a game similar to XCOM being developed by a small studio called Tier2 Games. Here take a look and see if your interested as the kickstarter needs help.
581269a0620545443ec8c6012e8c9011_large.jpg

The vision of ARTIFACT: RED-X is to create a hybrid real time empire-style builder with turn based squad tactical combat . The role of the player is that of the invading enemy, where they must conquer an alien planet that they have selected themselves. The real time main gaming view of ARTIFACT: RED-X will use an adaption of the traditional tabletop-style board game mechanics.Each tile or hexagon will have resources and terrain attributes which will help or hinder the player's progression.The turn-based squad tactical view will also be divided into tiles and provide strategic advantages and disadvantages.

a9ed8509d9d8d54198de9031f697f8a4_large.jpg

Play as the leader of one of the 10 greatest colony factions as you wage planetary conquest from space, land, sea and air. Your faction's core religious and social beliefs will influence how you conduct diplomacy, espionage, research, manage your bases and people in your quest for glory, honor and wealth.

Hand-pick the alien planet to invade, establish a base of operations, operate reconnaissance mission over alien territories, abduct aliens for research, launch terror campaigns on alien cities to destabilize local governments then infiltrate them to turn on their own people.

Locate and secure rare and valuable resources, build mining outposts to extract, process and transport the precious cargo back to base. Watch out for local anti-human agencies who will attempt to take down your supply ships and raid your resource hubs.

Play at your own pace. Jump straight into playing and receive guidance and advice on how to best play the game. They also provide insight for decisions first-time players make. Play in real time or change the speed of the game to suit your gaming style.

Individually recruit and customize each soldier, weapon, item and armor pieces to create a truly personalized gaming experience.Hand pick each solider for your squads based on their individual skills and abilities in an RPG-style attribute system. Customize each soldiers' load out, training and select who gets promoted. Upgrade weapons, items and armor based on each soldier's performance traits to enhance their effectiveness.

Research and manufacture new technologies. Power them with the rare element "Red-X" and become an unstoppable force. Watch out as element "Red-X" releases exotic radiation which causes Freeform evolution to occur. Squad units evolve & physically mutate, unlocking new abilities, technologies and more!
Turn based Ground squad combat with up to 36 ground units on battlefield. Using an isometric graphics style that makes it easy to identify and play.

Challenge your friends to single turn-based tactical games or stay in it for the long haul and compete for dominance of the planet as either human or alien species.
More information.

Last edited:
Sounds great and reads great but I have no idea about the game play or what the game is going to look like. The Kickstarter video only shows concept art. This game looks to be years from completion. I will vote to greenlight the project on Steam but I will hold off for a while on a Kickstarter pledge.

Also the project looks to be very ambitious but they are only seeking 25K. Something does not seem right to me.

Note, I have Kickstarter pledged over 30 projects.

Seems like a graphic artist/3D modeller type played XCOM and came up with a wishlist of what he'd have done if he got the chance, and now he's kickstarting it. Nothing wrong with that except that while he says he has a game engine written in C++ there's no evidence of anything that's not concept art on the kickstarter page. Also no mention I could see either there or on the company website about who is involved in the project or how many people. I wish them(him?) well, it sounds like a game I might enjoy. However, I don't think it's going to be finished any time soon.

PS:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets...abbd4bca55f9a793276afd6c_large.jpg?1369238475

That's awful. That diaper harness... that has got to go. Not only does it look like a damn diaper, but it's stupid and unrealistic. Guy's legs will be restricted from forward and backwards motion even while doing something as simple as running, let alone anything more strenuous than that. His hands will be constantly banging into those big hip projections even while doing something as simple as running (again). Moving weapons around while assuming firing positions? Hands banging on hip projections. Hugging walls while sneaking around? Hip projections, in the way. Climbing fences? Hip projections, stuck. I realize not everyone has been in the military and had to dostuff while wearing a combat harness (I have) but a lot of this stuff is just common sense. And if common sense isn't good enough, try looking at how real world combat harnesses are laid out? Lower back, upper thighs, front of the waist (up high, not right where yu have to bend at the middle), front of the chest on each side (top of the pecs), sometimes lower legs (on the outside), upper back (right by shoulder blades).

PS:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets...abbd4bca55f9a793276afd6c_large.jpg?1369238475

That's awful. That diaper harness… that has got to go. Not only does it look like a damn diaper, but it's stupid and unrealistic. Guy's legs will be restricted from forward and backwards motion even while doing something as simple as running, let alone anything more strenuous than that. His hands will be constantly banging into those big hip projections even while doing something as simple as running (again). Moving weapons around while assuming firing positions? Hands banging on hip projections. Hugging walls while sneaking around? Hip projections, in the way. Climbing fences? Hip projections, stuck. I realize not everyone has been in the military and had to dostuff while wearing a combat harness (I have) but a lot of this stuff is just common sense. And if common sense isn't good enough, try looking at how real world combat harnesses are laid out? Lower back, upper thighs, front of the waist (up high, not right where yu have to bend at the middle), front of the chest on each side (top of the pecs), sometimes lower legs (on the outside), upper back (right by shoulder blades).

When do you not have a problem with any game? I wonder why you even post when most of your posts are negative all the time. I'm curious really do you even enjoy any games anymore.

When do you not have a problem with any game? I wonder why you even post when most of your posts are negative all the time. I'm curious really do you even enjoy any games anymore.

He fits in here far more then anyone who is positive about games:p

He fits in here far more then anyone who is positive about games:p
That depends at least most of us are 50/50 with the Negative vs Positive.:biggrin: I'm shocked as your the one who usually calls people out for this. I'm shocked I tell ya.;)

Last edited:
That depends at least most of us are 50/50 with the Negative vs Positive.:biggrin: I at least changed.:p

Changed into what? You said a couple hours ago in another post that you don't even care about difficulty in games anymore. What kind of "game" provides no challenge?

In answer to your question, though, no I really don't like very many games anymore. I think the last games I bought were Saints Row 2 & 3 and that was during Steam's Christmas special. This has been my hobby of choice since the 1980s, though, and I'm still EXTREMELY ANGRY about what's been done to it. Done by people who frequently are praised on this website, by the way. I also try to keep my eyes open for new games in the works that I might like. It does happen, from time to time. Keeping a keen eye out for signs that people who participate on an RPG website might start caring about RPGs, too :p

————————PS

Did you miss this part of the comment you replied to?

I wish them(him?) well, it sounds like a game I might enjoy. However, I don't think it's going to be finished any time soon.

I've said I was looking forward to 4 or 5 other games the last couple days, as well. In fact I haven't been critical of any actual released games on this website since that Mars game was released, and that was weeks ago. Is it the comments about Sir-Tech and Brenda of many names that are annoying you?

No everything is fine now I was just wondering that's all. You explained and answered my question anyway. That's all I wanted. Moving on now mystery solved.:movingon:

Now to get back on track.
Sounds great and reads great but I have no idea about the game play or what the game is going to look like. The Kickstarter video only shows concept art. This game looks to be years from completion. I will vote to greenlight the project on Steam but I will hold off for a while on a Kickstarter pledge.

Also the project looks to be very ambitious but they are only seeking 25K. Something does not seem right to me.

Note, I have Kickstarter pledged over 30 projects.

I agree the game could use a few more videos to explain the game. I'm still waiting for Xenonauts the other XCOM inspired game. It's one delay after another for that game.

Good opportunity for Tier2 Games to learn how not to initiate a Kickstarter campaign. Maybe next year they will have a playable demo and a chance on KS.

I have to agree with earlier posters. This game sounds like a wet dream coming true, but I don't see how they could possible make all that with just 25k. When they have some more meat to their presentation and I actually believe they can pull it off I'll gladly pledge.

After digging deeper it looks like the game is barely in Pre-Alpha. So I don't think we will be shown to much more. It's a shame as it sounded good. They still have 20 days left though so it might have a slim chance.

Good opportunity for Tier2 Games to learn how not to initiate a Kickstarter campaign. Maybe next year they will have a playable demo and a chance on KS.

at 25K they might make it this time out. Great idea with great concept art. But I wish they would have went the Indiegogo route first and then come back to Kickstarter when they have a better handle on their project.

One thing that showed me they weren't ready is something they said in their presentation. They stated we Earthlings invade a planet to get some badly needed resources. We can either do it by force or stealth. Very nice idea but why are they calling the home world folks "aliens"????

half bakery is afoot.

The more you think about the kickstarter might be just a way to bring attention to the game. It's already up for vote on Steam greenlight. I agree with Dajjer Indiegogo would of been a better choice if that's the reason.

No everything is fine now I was just wondering that's all. You explained and answered my question anyway. That's all I wanted. Moving on now mystery solved.:movingon:

Now to get back on track.

I agree the game could use a few more videos to explain the game. I'm still waiting for Xenonauts the other XCOM inspired game. It's one delay after another for that game.

Might want to look into xenonauts on their website, they have gone into beta mode already.

Might want to look into xenonauts on their website, they have gone into beta mode already.
Thanks I found that out last night after visiting the games forums. That's good news as it means the game is almost ready after the delays it suffered.

Thanks I found that out last night after visiting the games forums. That's good news as it means the game is almost ready after the delays it suffered.

Actually plays pretty good too.

Back
Top Bottom