Unwritten:Echoes of Twilight - Kickstarter Launched

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
The kickstarter for Unwritten:Echoes of Twilight is now live, and asking for $500,000. The game can be described as a single player, open world, open play, fantasy RPG where player choices determine the direction, flow, and the outcome of the game.
Unwritten: Echoes of Twilight is a single player, open world, role playing adventure game that combines the visual appeal of modern graphics and animation technologies with the classic role-playing elements hardcore RPG gamers love. In modern games, immersion, interactivity, and customization are often watered down by major studios, resulting in diluted replay value and degradation of the “role play” nature of the games. As RPG gamers ourselves, Druid Gameworks understands all those fun nerdy things RPG gamers want to see, or do, and we plan to give it to them in spades.

In this non-traditional prequel and introduction to the Unwritten series, players are introduced to the world of Arthanswold through the heartland isles of Aerendwel and Byre, where the diverse and often unforgiving landscapes range from perilous mountain passes to dark ominous marsh lands, and overgrown jungles. In a player driven adventure, you can explore the world in any direction you want your story to go! Unearth hidden locations, unique characters, and dynamic quests. Chronicle your adventure in your journal, taking real notes whenever something important crosses your path. Customize pets and companions, take ownership of shops, wield powerful ritual magicks, join factions to form friendships, and uncover the shards of an ancient mystery that echoes from the past.
Thank you for reminding me wolfgrimdark.
smiley-wink.gif

More information.

Last edited:
Hmmm, can't say I'm either impressed or not impressed.
Have to think about it.

I went ahead and pledged. I'm not sure they will meet their goal given they are relative unknowns. For as much text was on the page I didn't get much information from it. What I saw was some talented artist concept drawing which is at least positive and that they made an expansion pack for Oblivion previously.

Reclaiming Sancre Tor was not something I was familiar with but it has been downloaded a lot. I haven't seen many reviews of it but what I did see was positive so that is a good enough sign for me.

It's some sort of info lacking that bothers me.
Okay they'll use Havoc engine, it can do nice stuff (Dark was made in it) and besides everything that is not book-chainsaw-sound-zenimax engine is good, but apart from that I really dunno what to say. The game description feels too generic. And I really don't care for ability to play a humanoid with teddybear's head if that was supposed to be some sort of originality.

So I'll wait to see some FAQ entries and updates. But as it usually happens, where I can't find cons even if I see no pros, I pledge in the end. My poor wallet… :(

Joxer, seeing as how they seem to be quite influenced by bethesda games, they'll likely have a similar respawn system.

There, your wallet will thank me now. :D

Hahahaha, we'll see, it's not mentioned anywhere (didn't notice).
Maybe they got sick of it like I did so they want to make a game without it? ;)

I am wondering if guys like these did not look into other Kickstarter projects at all.

I mean by looking at past projects they must have known that they are going to fail with the information they provided and with the approach they are taking.

An unknown company asking for a huge sum of total pledges (500k!) without providing much of information, no proof of skill and "catcher" in the form of a video and last but not least setting the hurdle to join extremely high with 30$ as the lowest price for the game.
For now it isn't even apparent if this is a first person, third person or isometric game.
Even if they provide a video afterwards they are already missing out on the boost you normally get from launching a project.
With these conditions I don't see the slightest chance that they will succeed.
With a look at Thorvalla, Shaker and even Elite Dangerous (which only could pull it off due to massive improvements and advertisement from Chris Roberts) you should be aware by now that with these conditions you must not start a kickstarter project if you want it to succeed. Adding a couple of additional hurdles doesn't improve your chances...

The only questions are: When will they realize it? And will they relaunch afterwards?

All good points Kordanor and I agree. Though I think many backers are spoiled with other projects only offering their games for $15-20. The biggest problem is the lack of a presentation video, and that dlc offered to different tiers isn't helping either.

I'm still going to cover the game, but it's forecast isn't looking so good. :-/

Good point Kordanor.There is also a problem that even if they reach goal you can't make game that rivals TES game with 500k maybe if they had 10X they would have chance.

Good point Kordanor.There is also a problem that even if they reach goal you can't make game that rivals TES game with 500k maybe if they had 10X they would have chance.

The cost of making any type of game that rivals Skyrim is probably why we don't see more games like it. They might have a chance to get publisher, or investor interest like Ambrov X.

it looks ok, put the reminder on it.
I wonder why they didnt make a video presentation of the project.
I like the fact that story is player driven, with locking and unlocking events. Thats about the only thing interesting me atm. but its the thing that no1 can give me proof of at this point .

I backed them but I guess they will a very hard time to get funded, not only they started the campaign in a weekend (the worst days) but the tiers need a serious reformulation (swapping the $20 and $30 ones, the problem with the exclusive DLCs, physical tiers US-only, $1000 to get a box...)

The cost of making any type of game that rivals Skyrim is probably why we don't see more games like it. They might have a chance to get publisher, or investor interest like Ambrov X.

I think even with publisher they might have a problem.They are aiming to make dynamic campaign and that is something even Bethsda couldn't do.Civil war campaign was suppose to be dynamic but even they run out of time and money to finish it.So I don't think this guys can pull this off.I want to be proven wrong badly but realist in me says it's not going to happen.I did gamble on few kickstarters that promise a lot like Sui generis but they had some pretty advanced stuff to show already.

For now it isn't even apparent if this is a first person, third person or isometric game.

Has first and 3rd person cams. Listed at the very bottom in the FAQ section.

"What is the camera perspective for Unwritten: Echoes of Twilight?

Players will be able to choose between 3rd and 1st person perspectives, with a zoom function for investigating detailed environment clues."

Too little info, very vague, too much money with a high entry price point. I'm a little curious but, they need to overhaul this attempt for round 2.

Guess they addded it after it was asked in their comment section.

They also changed the tiers. Now you get the game for 20$ and mentioned that a video will follow today.

It will fail, they will do a second kickstarter much better organized and with more info after learning from this, and I'll probably back that 2nd kickstarter, but not this one.

Back
Top Bottom