Old BBS Games

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
Staff Member
Who remembers the old BBS games? (Heck, who remembers the old BBS :) ). I used to love playing games like Land of the Red Dragon, Bre, and a heap of others, often against other BBS's, where you sometimes had to wait up to a week to learn the results of your attack!! Does anyone else have fond memories of that 'historical' time!! :)

Well, I'm old Corwin, but I guess I'm not that old.

You don't know how good this makes me feel ;)

BTW what the ??? is BBS--it can't have anything to do with the BBC--is it something like the arcane legend of the Gold Box that has been passed down from generation to generation? Is it an acronym for some recondite technological process, like ftp or rss? Don't force me to look it up.

BBS were Bulletin Boards, which pre-dated the Net!!

I think the Egyptians played them, something with sand and moving your game piece around I think I read somewhere.

BBS were Bulletin Boards, which pre-dated the Net!!

Ah, so you used thumbtacks?:biggrin:

Just being retarded. I take it you refer to something like newsgroups--were these text games?

Last edited:
Who remembers the old BBS games? (Heck, who remembers the old BBS :) ). I used to love playing games like Land of the Red Dragon, Bre, and a heap of others, often against other BBS's, where you sometimes had to wait up to a week to learn the results of your attack!! Does anyone else have fond memories of that 'historical' time!! :)

Hello Corwin!

I remember them. It was around 1994-96 when I played them.

LODR : I remember you could write a secret word (about Jennie Garth) when you entered the woods and you would get 100 gold pieces if I remember correctly.

It was a fun game but I hated coming back the next day and find myself dead in the Inn because another user bribed the Innskeeper and entered my room.

I think Bre stands for Baron realms elite right? Played it also but took forever to get a decent ship and yes, you would find it in pieces the next time you came back.

Today's MMO's are quite impressive when you compare them to these pre-mud games.
It took around 10 years to go from LODR to WoW. Impressive.

I believe an update for Tradewars was made somewhere but its unrecognizable from when I played it. One of the things I hated the most about tradewars is when the Sysop would reset the map. I spent all that time trying to map it!

I actually made a BBS game: I ported Risk entirely in text for GBBS, the Apple 2 BBS program. Unfortunately, my old nemesis "out of memory error" was constantly dogging me.

Back
Top Bottom