What games are you playing now?

I have been in the mood for some good old side scrolling platformers all month, just in time for the Steam sale. Searching on the 'Metroidvania' tag I found UnEpic. I played the demo a long time ago but hated the resolution it played at. That has been improved and I am absolutely hooked. Sure it's not perfect, but it is scratching my Castelvania itch.

I also bought Super Meat Boy, Shovel Knight & the Shadow Warrior reboot. All were insanely cheap.

Been bouncing around a bit, but most of my time has been spent with Dungeons of Dredmor. Fun little rogue-like. The downside so far is that the humorous and snarky descriptions of the skills don't give much actual info, so it takes a lot of trial and error to determine a set of skills that match my play style.

I'm with Menigal. I'm playing Borderlands; though for me it is the first time. I've never played the loot n shoot games before and its quite a bit of fun. I kinda suck at FPS games, so I die on the tougher creatures, but I'm ready for the 2nd set of maps after a couple more quests in the arid Badlands. Got to fight the dude at the end of the mines. I've been here with another mordecai, but started over. I must have had terrible luck with the first hunter because this dude has way better equipment and he's got some loot that he can't even equip yet, just taking up slots. I keep it though because it's orange and I've heard that's the best equipment.

I am also all over the place ... currently messing around in:
- The Witcher 3
- Risen 3
- Arx Fatalis (based on the post here!)
- Medal of Honor Allied Assault
- Divine Divinity
... and even just restarted Wizardry 8 on the Mac!

I decided to replay the Mass Effect trilogy as an Engineer, because why not. Almost done with ME1, will probably take me about 15 hours total. I'm avoiding most of the side content because the PC port getting buggier every year or something. Example: I got ejected of the map where the Benezia's fight happen, I had to kill the game to reload because outside of right mouse button nothing was working.

I also forgot how clunky ME1 combat was, but Lift is really awesome.

HOMM3, what can I say I think I will be playing it 100 years from now.

Last edited:
I have been in the mood for some good old side scrolling platformers all month, just in time for the Steam sale. Searching on the 'Metroidvania' tag I found UnEpic. I played the demo a long time ago but hated the resolution it played at. That has been improved and I am absolutely hooked. Sure it's not perfect, but it is scratching my Castelvania itch.

I also bought Super Meat Boy, Shovel Knight & the Shadow Warrior reboot. All were insanely cheap.

If you like Metroidvania style games, be sure to check out Axiom Verge. I played the demo on PS4 and was really impressed. It's the work of a single guy, and imo it's the best side-scrolling Metroid type game since Super Metroid.
Website

You might want to check out Strider as well.

I had 3 days off plus the weekend, so I had some time to play ;)

I was planning to dedicate them all to Witcher 3 - but of course I had to read about the 1.07 patch coming up - which is supposed to be a big one. Also, as it turns out, I can afford to buy my long-awaited GPU upgrade this month - and I'm going to have 3 weeks off soon. My last procrastination excuse is that I HATE that the DLC keeps coming out - and some of it is actually something I want to have in the game, like the Wolf Gear. I know people think this is a good PR move - but I think it's very annoying. I feel like I simply have to wait if I want the best stuff available.

So, I've played a bunch of other games.

Mass Effect 3. Still don't really like it - but after all this time, I've come to accept the massive flaws. I play it as it was intended, which is obviously a semi-competent shooter with a few RPG elements and a very melodramatic story. It works well enough in small doses, so far.

The bigger surprise is Shadowrun: Dragonfall DC - which I'm finding to be really good. Everything about it is better than the first game. I know that people have said this over and over, but I guess I didn't quite believe it. It's not a great game by any means - but where the first game was somewhat above average, this is genuinely good.

It's not a great game by any means - but where the first game was somewhat above average, this is genuinely good.

That is my thought as well - and sometimes when you enjoyed something and felt it was uniformly positive, getting a 'completely better' experience is something really cool. :) That was why I quickly backed whatever their latest thing was - not expecting great, but figure something good and solid is coming.

I put some more time into MoHAA ... amazing how well you can scale the graphics and how the gameplay holds up after all these years. Also Risen 3 ... definitely enjoying this one more than #2 :)

Oh, I had no doubt they'd be able to finance a third Shadowrun game. I just don't like kickstarting safe choices like that. Truly great games are never safe, and I don't really get excited by the prospect of another SR game with a few additions.

That's something I don't mind paying for, but I don't want to fund development of it :)

Ive been playing Hand of Fate, and while its been pretty entertaining, I wish the combat wasnt just a button mash. All Ive done is mash the attack button, with no regards to the flashing symbols over anyones heads, and I havent had any problems winning whatsoever. Its been fun though, if only for the replayability and randomness

I'll have to give the other Shadowrun a try, once I get back into a proper RPG mood (got a lot of those to catch up on now).

Meanwhile, I'm still plowing through Borderlands. The areas feel smaller and tighter than Borderlands 2, but, damn, I forgot how many hp-sponge bosses there were. B2's got some, too, but not quite as bad.

I've been wanting some non-shooty action, but I've recently played the Batman games, which would have been my go-to game. Looking through my collection, I've decided on Kingoms of Amalur. The combat's fast and fun, and it's easy to dip in and out of, depending on my mood.

Sadly, War for the Overworld's just not holding my attention. I've got that and Dungeon Keeper 2 both installed, and I'm far more likely to choose DK2 when I want to play one.

When does Borderlands end? I just got another key piece from something called a Rakk Hive. Am I near the end? I'm level 31 and I'm ready to move on to the next game, though if there is a DLC that isn't just more combat and loot, let me know. I started one DLC with Moxxi or something, but the very first thing you do is 5 waves of monsters and 3 levels of repetition. No thanks!

Ive been playing Hand of Fate, and while its been pretty entertaining, I wish the combat wasnt just a button mash. All Ive done is mash the attack button, with no regards to the flashing symbols over anyones heads, and I havent had any problems winning whatsoever. Its been fun though, if only for the replayability and randomness
So is that a recommendation or not? I've got this one on my watch list and probably would have bought it during the Steam sale had the price cut been a little deeper. The concept looked different from anything else in my backlog and the propaganda made it look pretty interesting, but I'm not really interested in Mortal Kombat if that's a significant portion of the game. Thanks for whatever insight you can offer.

So is that a recommendation or not? I've got this one on my watch list and probably would have bought it during the Steam sale had the price cut been a little deeper. The concept looked different from anything else in my backlog and the propaganda made it look pretty interesting, but I'm not really interested in Mortal Kombat if that's a significant portion of the game. Thanks for whatever insight you can offer.

The combat is very reminiscent of the Batman games, where a symbol flashes over someones head and if you press the correct button you can counter the attack. Other than that, which Im not sure Ive ever successfully countered an attack or not, I just mash the attack button. And roll around to avoid enemies, like Kingdom of Amalur combat.

The rest of the game is pretty fun though. Alot of C&C, dependent on the shuffle of the cards, like running into The Maiden and chosing more food (each step cost 1 food), more gold (in case of a merchant card or something like that), more max health, or a blessing of some sort. Alot of luck is also involved. The $24.99 they are asking for on Steam is a bit steep though IMHO. Id say its worth the $15.99 range I guess

The combat is very reminiscent of the Batman games, where a symbol flashes over someones head and if you press the correct button you can counter the attack. Other than that, which Im not sure Ive ever successfully countered an attack or not, I just mash the attack button. And roll around to avoid enemies, like Kingdom of Amalur combat.

The rest of the game is pretty fun though. Alot of C&C, dependent on the shuffle of the cards, like running into The Maiden and chosing more food (each step cost 1 food), more gold (in case of a merchant card or something like that), more max health, or a blessing of some sort. Alot of luck is also involved. The $24.99 they are asking for on Steam is a bit steep though IMHO. Id say its worth the $15.99 range I guess
Personally, I would have rather if they resolved combat also with cards. Since I don't care about real time twitch combat at all, I've considered this title several times for the cards aspect, but ultimately decided against it.

Personally, I would have rather if they resolved combat also with cards. Since I don't care about real time twitch combat at all, I've considered this title several times for the cards aspect, but ultimately decided against it.

Yeah me too. I think the game is also on consoles, so that's the route they took with combat

Trine Enhanced Ed. It's very pretty and not too difficult but still a bit of a challenge. Narration between levels is bit long winded. It's a pleasant diversion from more in depth fair.

-kaos

Started a new Pillars of Eternity game last night, back on the Mac again ... played mage, then partial game with fighter, now back with female mage. Really enjoy this one :)

Started a new Pillars of Eternity game last night, back on the Mac again … played mage, then partial game with fighter, now back with female mage. Really enjoy this one :)

Why not wait for the upcoming 2.0 changes? They're pretty significant.

Back
Top Bottom